USB drives - suggestions, issues, formatting, partitioning

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

What device are you using for TeslaCam?

• I never set up any drive and don't use local recording for TeslaCam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,
At some point in the past, I must have allowed iTunes to convert my .mp3 collection to .m4a. Now I am trying to use music on a USB stick for the first time with the Model 3, and it appears Tesla does not support the .m4a format. Anyone know of a good tool for converting a crap-ton of m4As back to mp3? I see there are online tools, but man they are slow one file at a time. I am on an iMac.
Thanks!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all,
At some point in the past, I must have allowed iTunes to convert my .mp3 collection to .m4a. Now I am trying to use music on a USB stick for the first time with the Model 3, and it appears Tesla does not support the .m4a format. Anyone know of a good tool for converting a crap-ton of m4As back to mp3? I see there are online tools, but man they are slow one file at a time. I am on an iMac.
Thanks!
I made a command line tool for the Mac that does exactly what you want. You will need to also download, unless you have them handy, additional programs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsvocsdmapwq21e/Convert Music to MP3?dl=0

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Assuming you already have V9 (although it might not matter), has anyone successfully implemented NOMAD wireless charging with recording dash cam video and playing music from a USB stick USING ONLY THE FRONT USB PORTS? If so, what method did you use? (detailed specifics on usb sticks, hub options, formatting option, etc..)

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Assuming you already have V9 (although it might not matter), has anyone successfully implemented NOMAD wireless charging with recording dash cam video and playing music from a USB stick USING ONLY THE FRONT USB PORTS? If so, what method did you use? (detailed specifics on usb sticks, hub options, formatting option, etc..)
I put this together — no music in my setup would be easy to include.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, but how would you add music with another USB stick? Don’t want to combine video and music into 1.
I think you have a few options...

(1) One stick with 2 partitions for music and TeslaCam. I haven’t tested that.

(2) 2 USB sticks and the same setup on each side

(3) 2 USB sticks and a USB hub

(4) Run wire from the 12V to free up the front USB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you have a few options...

(1) One stick with 2 partitions for music and TeslaCam. I haven’t tested that.

(2) 2 USB sticks and the same setup on each side

(3) 2 USB sticks and a USB hub

(4) Run wire from the 12V to free up the front USB
I suppose something like this with a charging port should work?
Amazon product

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have tested the 2 partition trick and it works perfectly. My Nomad pad doesn't come until November (supposed to ship 10/30), but I have my Y splitter and am ready to implement SoFlaModel3's solution. Will report back if/when I get it all working.
Thanks, my Nomad is coming in November as well but I want to use separate USB's for cam & music.. already received my hardware from Amazon, just waiting for my service appointment on the 24th to get the front USBs working (took delivery with them being nonfunctional).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am happy with teslausb - a raspberry pi w setup that presents two partitions to the car. Takes about 30-40 seconds to be recognized by the car once powered up. When I pull into my garage, the pi connects to my wifi and copies any saved videos to my NAS automatically. Since I also have a Nomad charger, I ran an Anker 5 port USB charger from the cigarette lighter to the front. I plugged the Nomad into that and the pi into one of the now freed up ports as the Nomad requires both USB ports connected to power up. The only hiccup I've noticed is that the car won't start playing music where it left off - I assume it does with standard USB sticks but I've not tried any others. One time I had to remove/replug as the cam icon didn't appear on the screen. The pi with a case and short cable is $20 shipped from Adafruit, the Anker 5 port charger was another $24 and then pick up a microSD card of your choice if you don't already have one. Pretty solid setup for $50.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only hiccup I've noticed is that the car won't start playing music where it left off - I assume it does with standard USB sticks but I've not tried any others.
In my experience, the car does not resume where you left off with a directly-connected USB stick, so this hiccup may not be specific to your solution.

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Have a splitter that allows me to use DashCam and USB-C for Android, but won't work for Apple. Want to add controller for TeslAtari. Is there a hub that will do all this?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have a splitter that allows me to use DashCam and USB-C for Android, but won't work for Apple. Want to add controller for TeslAtari. Is there a hub that will do all this?
Get an actual USB HUB instead of one of these non-spec-compliant USB splitters.
Any USB HUB should work.

TMK26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I have an Anker USB3 hub and have charger, game controller, and two USB sticks all plugged in and working well!
Is it the $9.99 version on Amazon... Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub for MacBook, Mac Pro/Mini, iMac, Surface Pro, XPS, Notebook PC, USB Flash Drives, Mobile HDD, and More

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it the $9.99 version on Amazon... Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub for MacBook, Mac Pro/Mini, iMac, Surface Pro, XPS, Notebook PC, USB Flash Drives, Mobile HDD, and More
Yes. I don't know for sure, but I think USB 3 hubs are more likely to pass higher current to things connected to them, and of course faster speed as well. There is probably something smaller than that one, but it was the one I already had in my laptop bag.