USB drives - suggestions, issues, formatting, partitioning

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, dumb questions (I haven't set up the dashcam or sentry mode in my car yet and want to soon): Can I use the same USB drive for the Dashcam and sentry mode or do I need to have 2 different thumb drives? I know that the dashcam one needs a folder called TelsaCam, does the sentry mode use the same folder?

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that they are loosing their ability to easily understand technology? I'm slowly turning into my parents - you know, the folks that couldn't program their VCR! :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, dumb questions (I haven't set up the dashcam or sentry mode in my car yet and want to soon): Can I use the same USB drive for the Dashcam and sentry mode or do I need to have 2 different thumb drives? I know that the dashcam one needs a folder called TelsaCam, does the sentry mode use the same folder?

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that they are loosing their ability to easily understand technology? I'm slowly turning into my parents - you know, the folks that couldn't program their VCR! :)
Use the same stick for both. Setup is no different than when only Teslacam existed. It will Automatically create a separate sub folder for the sentry recordings. Just be aware you probably need a large disk size to accommodate all of the recordings from three , or possibly more in the future , cameras

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After deactivating dashcam (with a long press), you need to wait up to an entire minute for the car to finish writing any current files to the drive.

Two of the drives I use include activity lights, which makes this much easier - you just wait until the activity lights stop flashing. But if your drive doesn't have that, then you really need to just wait an excruciatingly long time before pulling the drive out if you want to avoid filesystem corruption.

The filesystem corruption isn't that big of a deal though. It just means that you might lose some files, and possibly have to reformat the drive. But the drive itself should be fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. Waiting longer does seem to eliminate the Orphaned Clusters--no problem in two removals. It definitely takes longer to unmount the drives from the Model 3 than from my Mac.

I still get some zero byte files, mainly on the right rear and other artifacts on both side cams--even with very fast drives. I think that is another issue stemming from how they buffer and compress the Sentry footage in memory and how they dump it out when it is triggered--no problem with Dashcam footage when driving.

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using a Kingston 240GB ssd

Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G
And an enclosure

Vantec USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD Adapter with case (CB-STU3-2PB)
I just set it up yesterday, and the drive seems to work well. My only problem is that after installing, my wife drove to work and then home this morning. I pulled the drive and plugged it in to the computer. The only footage I have is some boring parking lot footage. Nothing from the drive to or from work. What did I do wrong?

japhule

Country
Country
I just set it up yesterday, and the drive seems to work well. My only problem is that after installing, my wife drove to work and then home this morning. I pulled the drive and plugged it in to the computer. The only footage I have is some boring parking lot footage. Nothing from the drive to or from work. What did I do wrong?
The drive will have 2 folders in the TeslaCam folder. The "RecentClips" folder will have the last 60 minutes since the car was on. Anything older would be deleted. If your wife came home at 9am and you turned the car on and pulled the drive at 12pm then the RecentClips folder would've likely been cleared out except for the minute or two that the car was just on at 12pm. The "SavedClips" folder will have any footage that was manually saved by pressing the camera icon or footage that was triggered by Sentry Mode. If your wife didn't do any manual saving from her drive to work it was likely cleared by the time she got home.

JeffcM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm rapidly filling up the 32GB Sandisk USB drive. Have two that I periodically switch. Am thinking of switching to this:

So.. just to confirm what I read in this thread.... it is possible to use the drive for writing dash cam images, and also playing music at the same time ... with one USB flash drive, correct?

rsf

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So.. just to confirm what I read in this thread.... it is possible to use the drive for writing dash cam images, and also playing music at the same time ... with one USB flash drive, correct?
Yes it will work like that. Two FAT32 partitions, 1st one for Teslacam, 2nd one for music. I've seen no ill effects so far

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's weird is that it has footage of the parking lot at work, not the drive home though. And I pulled it right away when she got home.
Mines been doing the same thing as yours I bet (but I’m still using cheap drives I have laying round the house since they always worked perfectly up until the 2019 updates so I have an excuse :) ). I format it, plug it in and it works one or two times. Then I’ll look over at the camera icon while I’m driving and sure enough, it’s grayed out. When I get home and look at the footage, it’s from the previous drive (or even one or two days ago). Point is, it’s not from the last 60 minutes since it stopped working at some point.

I know I need to upgrade to a better (bigger) drive but figure I’ll let all the smart people on this forum figure out what’s best first.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have no idea if this drive is any good, but for $5.99 for 128GB & free prime shipping, I'm giving it a try.

So far, this drive has been a great purchase!

I've confirmed that it really is 128GB. I used it in my car for TeslaCam duties for a week, and had no issues. Both the USB-A and USB-C connectors worked fine. It also has micro-USB, but I haven't tried that. My Android phone is able to read the files with no additional software required, so it's nice to quick check a video in the car, or download a video to my phone.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have no idea if this drive is any good, but for $5.99 for 128GB & free prime shipping, I'm giving it a try.

Compared to the one I got, stopped being recognized by the car after half a day (no grey x, just nada), it is readable on both my Mac and windows (usb-a and usb-c), but the usb-a connector isn’t sized right and has to be forced in or just doesn’t fit at all on most ports I tried it on (my work computer has something like 8 ports and it fit in 2 of those). iPad Pro (usb-c) recognized it, but it’s software natively only can access video/image files in a camera file structure so is not able to access the TeslaCam folder.
Reformatted it, and again stopped working after a partial day - it likely is due to the badly sized usb-a

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm rapidly filling up the 32GB Sandisk USB drive. Have two that I periodically switch. Am thinking of switching to this:

That looks like what I use. I just have one partition but it has been great. I haven't filled it up. I have cleaned it once so far just because I wanted to look at the videos so I had it out f the car.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I have been using two of these for a few months with good results. Both formatted with a single large FAT32 partition (using Rufus). One drive for TeslaCam, the other for FLAC music. No issues with multiple camera streams or drive corruption since old 2018.x to current 2019.8.x and 2019.12.x firmwares.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since I upgraded to the Samsung T5 3 weeks ago and using Sentry all the time except Home locations. No more errors.
Transferring to Mac or PC is extremely fast as the disk is USB 3.1

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using a Kingston 240GB ssd

Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G
And an enclosure

Vantec USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD Adapter with case (CB-STU3-2PB)
Did you ever figure this out? Considering going with this setup..

foo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I have been using two of these for a few months with good results. Both formatted with a single large FAT32 partition (using Rufus). One drive for TeslaCam, the other for FLAC music. No issues with multiple camera streams or drive corruption since old 2018.x to current 2019.8.x and 2019.12.x firmwares.
These things are pretty cheap these days. I think what I'm going to do is just have TWO 64GB or 128GB drives, leave one in the car in the USB port and the other, after deleting everything (except the TeslaCam folder of course) just leave that in the tray so I can just easily swap if the camera shows the grey X, and I don't have to do the manual delete quickly to get it to work again for SentryMode