USB drives - suggestions, issues, formatting, partitioning

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

What device are you using for TeslaCam?

• I never set up any drive and don't use local recording for TeslaCam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A week ago, my Model 3 alerted me saying that my USB drive was full and that I had to manually remove files. Besides this being a manual process, and the Model 3 not auto-overwriting the drive like a DVR, which is a feature shortcoming, I cannot get it to work again.

I took it out of the car, stuck it in my Mac, and removed the video files and the subfolders for Recent and Saved files. Still says it is full. This is a huge waste of time.

Anyone else experience this? I'm hoping that I don't have to reformat the USB drive every month or so, because reformatting with FAT32 is also a pain in the ass as it's not a standard offering on my MacPro.

Thanks in advance for your tips. I also set up a service schedule so that I can ask them, "What the hell is up with the USB functionality?" directly.

simpsonhomer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took it out of the car, stuck it in my Mac, and removed the video files and the subfolders for Recent and Saved files. Still says it is full.
By default, deleting a file/folder only marks it for deletion (puts it in the "trash") so it's still occupying space. Open up your Trash app on your Mac and permanently delete those files/folders (or just reformat the USB drive).

Next time, delete using Option + Command + Delete which will skip the trash. https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/11/09/skip-trash-delete-files-on-mac/

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed on the empty'ing the trash.

In the future, another option is to not move them to the trash when emptying but instead use "Delete Immediately". You can do that with by pressing Command-Option together and then press the delete key. You will see a dialog box pop up asking if you are sure (since there is no recovery if you do it this way). You can also choose "Delete Immediately" from the File Menu if you can't remember the shortcut. Select the file, select the File Menu then press the option key. You will see "Move to Trash" change to "Delete Immediately". This works system wide in OSX.

Finally, OSX can natively format FAT32 very easily. Just choose MS-DOD (FAT) and it will format in FAT32 automatically.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The recents folder does "loop", the saved folder does not (arguable if it should or not). So any sentry events or if you press the dash cam icon on the display (and move the recents files to saved) are permanent and must be manually removed.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed on the empty'ing the trash.

In the future, another option is to not move them to the trash when emptying but instead use "Delete Immediately". You can do that with by pressing Command-Option together and then press the delete key. You will see a dialog box pop up asking if you are sure (since there is no recovery if you do it this way). You can also choose "Delete Immediately" from the File Menu if you can't remember the shortcut. Select the file, select the File Menu then press the option key. You will see "Move to Trash" change to "Delete Immediately". This works system wide in OSX.

Finally, OSX can natively format FAT32 very easily. Just choose MS-DOD (FAT) and it will format in FAT32 automatically.
Thank you. Appreciated!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
An interesting issue with my SSD. Yesterday I got in the car and got the "drive is full" message. However I forgot and did not bring the drive in last night. Got in the car this morning, same drive full message, as would be expected.

I got in the car to come home tonight from work and had a message “1 New Sentry Recording” or however it reads, I had done nothing to clear the drive.

I just brought the drive in to check it and there is NO new recording, and the drive is indeed full, just a few MB available out of the 125 GB partition.

I don't know why the car thought there was room again and tried to make a recording. There hasn't been a recording for 4 days. I'll wipe it clean and put it back in. Suspect all will be OK, just a full drive.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I will go on record as changing my view on the Sentry recordings being over written. I was a staunch supporter that they should not be over written automatically. Well now the shoe is on the other foot and I see how quickly the drive can fill up and then nothing records at all.

I'm all about the sentry files being over written now, I'd just have to remember to check the car every few days and if something has happened pull the drive before they get overwritten.

My drive had been in the car for a month since I'd cleaned it up and deleted files, so with 256 GB I figure that should be more than enough time to go back a few days or a week to review files and save any evidence from a problem.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
An interesting issue with my SSD. Yesterday I got in the car and got the "drive is full" message. However I forgot and did not bring the drive in last night. Got in the car this morning, same drive full message, as would be expected.

I got in the car to come home tonight from work and had a message “1 New Sentry Recording” or however it reads, I had done nothing to clear the drive.

I just brought the drive in to check it and there is NO new recording, and the drive is indeed full, just a few MB available out of the 125 GB partition.

I don't know why the car thought there was room again and tried to make a recording. There hasn't been a recording for 4 days. I'll wipe it clean and put it back in. Suspect all will be OK, just a full drive.
Happened to me over the past few days as well. Sentry Events still happen, but it's not intelligent enough, yet, to say, "something happened, but I couldn't record it because your USB is full. Have a nice day, not knowing what recently happened to your beloved Model 3..."

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Extremely helpful. Thank you!
Yes, it worked. Plugged the USB back into my Mac, and then emptied the trash. Put the USB back into the Model 3 and the dashcam started to work again.

Man - that is a manual process... Tesla should automate it. Even better, just ship each Tesla with an onboard flash SSD so we don't need to deal with it...