USB drives - suggestions, issues, formatting, partitioning

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

What device are you using for TeslaCam?

• I never set up any drive and don't use local recording for TeslaCam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the sandisk ones are just M.2 in an enclosure with a built in adaptor. They're pretty small. And I'm not sure about the samsung ones, but they look smaller than a 2.5 device.
At work, we have some processes that write a lot of data to SSDs. Samsung drives seem to work well. We have had some other brands fail early, while the Samsung drives keep chugging along until they reach their limit of LBAs written, at which time we swap them out.

tvu

Country
Country
I have the m.2 sata B+M version in a usb enclosure working.

I have not and don’t have any m.2 nvme disks so don’t know about those.

Last edited by a moderator:

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is an interesting video from a guy who hosts a YouTube channel called "Living Tesla":

Managing TeslaCam and Sentry Video from Mobile

He recommends SD cards (because of their ability to record and read at a rapid pace, as is needed in a camera) and has a few recommendations. These are the ones from his YouTube video:
Since I have a Google phone, I'm thinking of getting
  • TeslaCam/Sentry Reviewer (free, with the pro version costing $3.99)
  • Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB MicroSD ($34.99)
  • Vikasi 4-in-1 Reader ($16.99)
Unless someone here puts on the brakes for me on any of these purchases, I will be getting busy with my Amazon purchases and let you know how things work out.
I bought these items from Amazon:
  • Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB MicroSD ($34.99)
  • Vikasi 4-in-1 Reader ($16.99)
I also downloaded the free version of the TeslaCam/Sentry Reviewer for my Android phone (Google Pixel 3)

So far, because of the size of the MicroSD I bought, I only have to erase my old videos once a week or so. I just unplug the reader (after pressing on the camera icon for a few seconds to eject it), plug it into my Pixel 3, and view and/or erase what's on there. So simple!

Now, if Tesla would make this easier for us, such as enabling us to view and/or erase videos on the Tesla phone app... Now THAT would be simple!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi all, since there was quite a lot of information scattered all around, I did a write up for how to format and configure an SDD to work with the Model 3 for both personal media and the dash cam recordings. For now this targets Windows computers for setting up. If anyone can do something similar for Macs, would be great.

http://www.thebrainspike.com/how-to...ssd-for-tesla-model-3-complete-windows-guide/

Hope this helps!
@kataleen - your timing was impeccable for me. I just received my SSD through the post today. I am gradually buying stuff for my Model 3 in anticipation of it finally arriving in the next few weeks (fingers and everything else crossed). Something had to be done to break up the dreadful wait for a RHD M3.

I followed your write up easily and quickly, and it worked brilliantly. Thanks for the effort; you saved me (and others) ploughing through 19 pages of this thread.

choney22

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My dashcam had the grey x so I hooked up to computer and it was full, I thought the cam would write over itself unless you pressed the button to save it? The entirety of what filled it up was about 4 days worth of things from June, and I did not press the button to record it that many times. It is a Sandisk 32gb I bought back in November and worked well until about a month ago. So I deleted everything and today an alert told me the USB is too slow. Seems like I need a new one? A quick scan of this thread seems SD cards are recommended? Any advice would be helpful, not super tech oriented here.

sduck

Country
Country
My dashcam had the grey x so I hooked up to computer and it was full, I thought the cam would write over itself unless you pressed the button to save it?
You'd think that would be the case as virtually EVERY OTHER DASHCAM ON THE MARKET WORKS THIS WAY, but no, tesla had to do it their own way. It's like it was designed by aliens who only read about dashcams in books or something. I also have a blackvue dashcam installed, for more than a year now, and I've never had to do any kind of maintainance with it - it always is recording, and overwrites the old stuff when it runs out of room. And it stores more than a month worth of recordings, higher quality, wide angle, back and front cameras, with integrated gps. Highly recommended for people who don't like to mess with this stuff.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting, so options are periodically clear the drive or turn off a security feature, seems they didn't think that through. It would be nice to access, view, and delete the videos from the Tesla screen.
the recent does clear itself off ever 60 minutes. the whole purpose of the saved folder is that the owner needs to decide what to delete. with a decent sized drive, that doesn't seem too unreasonable. I personally want to see what all those events were that caused Sentry to be triggered and regularly pull the drive to take a look. I've not yet have had a drive fill to the point it can not record any more content, and that includes when first using just a 32GB drive. it could go a few days when parked in a busy parking lot with tons of foot traffic and still have spare space.

ChiTesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my case, I'm pretty sure its temperature related. I think the USB drive slows down when it gets too hot and then can't handle all of the streams. The hotter it gets the less video and more corruption. I have a physically really small USB drive that gets very hot even when it's not doing anything. Based on this it seems that it writes the front camera first, then left, and then the right. So I'll lose the right sometimes, right and left sometimes but never just the left for example.
I also think that heat affects the usb drive. I cannot confirm that it loses video, but when I notice that the dashcam is not operating, I pull the usb drive (I also have the really small one), let it cool for 5 minutes and it always works when I plug it back in.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting, so options are periodically clear the drive or turn off a security feature, seems they didn't think that through. It would be nice to access, view, and delete the videos from the Tesla screen.
Yeah, it's a bit half-baked.

Elon has talked about the videos being uploaded to Tesla and being able to review them on your phone. Who knows when they'll get around to adding those abilities. But I assume once those are added, we'll also be able to delete saved videos.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New in software update is a notification with the red (!) mark saying "your USB stick is full"...

A second drive I have (Kingston DataTraveler G4 16GB) has mysteriously turned READ ONLY by the Tesla Dashcam... and no application I can find, will reverse the read only...

Please Please Please give us support to retrieve Dashcam footage through Tesla App! Even if both car and phone have to be on wifi to save bandwidth over LTE...

japhule

Country
Country
New in software update is a notification with the red (!) mark saying "your USB stick is full"...

A second drive I have (Kingston DataTraveler G4 16GB) has mysteriously turned READ ONLY by the Tesla Dashcam... and no application I can find, will reverse the read only...

Please Please Please give us support to retrieve Dashcam footage through Tesla App! Even if both car and phone have to be on wifi to save bandwidth over LTE...
USB sticks turning read only appears to be a common symptom of when drives go bad. It's likely your memory controller on the drive has gone bad (probably due to the large amount of writes/rewrites) and can no longer write/delete from the drive.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does that USB drive have a lock switch (like on an SD card)?

I have one that the tiny switch moves too easily, and will move to the 'lock' position without intending it to be locked (making it read only).

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does that USB drive have a lock switch (like on an SD card)?

I have one that the tiny switch moves too easily, and will move to the 'lock' position without intending it to be locked (making it read only).
Hi Melinda, no it doesnt have any switch, first thing I checked!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday I got the red (!) warning that my drive (64G SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0) is too slow for the dash cam (has worked fine for many weeks before 28.2).

The day before the identical drive (I buy in pairs at Costco) corrupted and is now useless. Both having issues within 2 days of upgrading to 28.2 indecates it isn't entirely the fault of the drives. The drives are plugged into via the splitter cable that came with the Nomad charger pad. I have been using the splitter cable since January or so.

Is there a definitive list somewhere telling what USB drives are more succesful than others for the dash cam? I am not interested in a SSD drive.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday I got the red (!) warning that my drive (64G SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0) is too slow for the dash cam (has worked fine for many weeks before 28.2).

The day before the identical drive (I buy in pairs at Costco) corrupted and is now useless. Both having issues within 2 days of upgrading to 28.2 indecates it isn't entirely the fault of the drives. The drives are plugged into via the splitter cable that came with the Nomad charger pad. I have been using the splitter cable since January or so.

Is there a definitive list somewhere telling what USB drives are more succesful than others for the dash cam? I am not interested in a SSD drive.
A list would be very helpful!
I use a Kingston Datatraveler 100 G3 64GB, and its worked flawlesly for 4 months...

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i had a data traveler 100 G3 in the car for a while, but it filled up fast at 16G - so I moved to the 64G SanDisk - I'll go back to the data traveler while I look for a bigger one.