USB drives - suggestions, issues, formatting, partitioning

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

What device are you using for TeslaCam?

• SSD - but it has malfuncitoned/burned up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never set up any drive and don't use local recording for TeslaCam

• SD card - but it has malfunctioned/burned up

• Total voters

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
just put in a SSD with 2 partitions (1 music 1 dash). Worked for 2 hrs, and now it won't find it anymore. All FAT 32....any idea?
Pull it out, plug it into a computer, and see if it still works.
Check if the dashcam partition is full.

I don't know if it will help, but you should also switch to ext4. There are reports that it is now supported, and it's a much better filesystem.

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Pull it out, plug it into a computer, and see if it still works.
Check if the dashcam partition is full.

I don't know if it will help, but you should also switch to ext4. There are reports that it is now supported, and it's a much better filesystem.
It is fine on the computer, not full either, and obviously, the music partition wouldn't be able to fill up.
I had tried ext4 before, and it did work for the music partition, but the dashcam partition wasn't recognized at all. Only on FAT 32 it worked....well, for a couple hours at least.

sduck

Country
Country
It (ext4) became available for dashcam use with 20.4.2. If the car isn't recognizing either partition of your ssd, and it's all working on the computer, check your connections in the car. It's probably a bad wire or hub. If you have an extra flash drive you could test them with it also.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure that's the ideal solution, but it's one of several ones that are better than the current implementation.

Personally, I think they should do what just about every other dashcam does, which is delete the oldest clips when the drive becomes close to full. Then it would up to the user to review old clips or not, depending on whether they wanted/needed to or not. That's how the rexing dashcam worked in my volt, and how my current blackvue dashcam works. 99% of the time you're not going to want to look at that old stuff anyway, but if you do, you've got a 2 week window to do it (approximation assuming a 64gb drive - of course size and use situations will make this vary widely).
I can see that, but I guess my viewpoint is that nothing that's in a saved folder should ever be purged without user intervention. Happy medium -- user defined options!

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know what is means if one camera doesn't seem to store footage reliably? Is it a cam recording issue or a CAMERA issue?
Are you referring to zero-byte video files, and does the camera in question happen to be a repeater? If so, it's a common problem that seems to come and go for a lot of folks. Most likely is firmware-related, not an issue with the camera itself.
In my case, I'm pretty sure its temperature related. I think the USB drive slows down when it gets too hot and then can't handle all of the streams. The hotter it gets the less video and more corruption. I have a physically really small USB drive that gets very hot even when it's not doing anything. Based on this it seems that it writes the front camera first, then left, and then the right. So I'll lose the right sometimes, right and left sometimes but never just the left for example.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
In my case, I'm pretty sure its temperature related. I think the USB drive slows down when it gets too hot and then can't handle all of the streams. The hotter it gets the less video and more corruption. I have a physically really small USB drive that gets very hot even when it's not doing anything. Based on this it seems that it writes the front camera first, then left, and then the right. So I'll lose the right sometimes, right and left sometimes but never just the left for example.
Could be.. So, maybe those longer stick USB drives, which are actually CHEAPER might be better. That thing is so deep in the cavity below, it’s probably not at too much risk.

JoeP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Im having the problem that my new USB3.0 128GB USB drive that i use with the Dashcam function only (no partitions) simply stops working with dashcam after a few weeks (usually 2-3?) . The black "x" symbol appears on the Tesla monitor where normally there's a red dot for dashcam. I can plug it into a computer, read the files and "scan/fix" the drive but it wont work in the Tesla anymore.

Reformatting the USB drive works. It will then work again for a few weeks.

Has anyone else seen this? I deliberately bought a newer drive for this purpose and its worked for a up to about 6 weeks at a time i suppose between "failures" which seem unrecoverable without formatting. Is it time to switch to an actual SSD?

sduck

Country
Country
Your drive is filling up. The tesla currently has no way of deleting old files to make room for new ones, unlike most other dashcams. You'll have to manually purge the old files (on your computer) when (or before) it gets full.

JoeP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When i do this though, there's never more than about 30GB of files on the drive, which is 128GB. So there's plenty of space. Unless Tesla considers the drive full at 32GB maybe, no matter how large it really is?

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What settings for ownership/permissions? I suppose 1777 would work, but is there are less permissive setting that will work?
I'm guessing your asking about an ext4 partition?

I created the directory as either root, or my normal uid (I can't remember), with just the normal permissions of 755. Tesla changed the ownership of the directory to (if I remember correctly) 1984:1984. So, don't worry about it, the car will do what is necessary to put files in the directory.

I decided to stick with FAT though, because then the drive can be read easily not only on my Linux computer, but also the Macs, Android, and iOS devices that are around.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 64GB USB stick in the Tesla dashcam has filled up (pretty annoying) so reformatting isn't a big deal but I recently bought the Samsung T5 500GB SSD for my Jeda USB hub review and I'm using that. Seems to get a hot but then cools off pretty quickly. So far it's working properly and I don't have to empty it as fast :)
I ordered the Jeda Hub on day 1 and just ordered a 500GB T5. Your comments are interesting as I was concerned about temperature in the completely enclosed compartment. I may drill some ventilation/cooling holes in the hub cover to help. The hub cover is magnetically attached. Is the all steel or just around the edge where it mates with the box?
I bought the hub more to clean up the mess and not so much for the hidden memory security feature.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing your asking about an ext4 partition?

I created the directory as either root, or my normal uid (I can't remember), with just the normal permissions of 755. Tesla changed the ownership of the directory to (if I remember correctly) 1984:1984. So, don't worry about it, the car will do what is necessary to put files in the directory.

I decided to stick with FAT though, because then the drive can be read easily not only on my Linux computer, but also the Macs, Android, and iOS devices that are around.
1984? Really?

Has anyone tried an M.2 SSD in a USB adapter/enclosure? This would be more compact than than a 2.5" SSD.