Upper trunk plastic trim cover (“garnish”)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went to the mall tonight for Father’s Day dinner and no mall stop would be complete with a stop at Tesla. They just received their 3. Sadly they didn’t properly align the cars in the store as they’re 3 > S > X. Also, odd that they’d put the 3 out with a defect, but the rear left tail light had major condensation (odd for a car kept exclusively inside).

Anyway the moral of the story is the upper trunk plastic trim cover. This car had it and I want it. We’ve discussed this across a few threads, so I thought why not have a dedicated thread to tracking our progress toward having the part added later for those with earlier builds.

I had mobile service performed this week for something else and inquired about the part to which the technician said he’d work on getting the part installed for me.

For those new to this discussion, see pictures for reference below.

Early VIN trunk...

eab15232-48a2-4db1-af7c-7347b8ec3d4a-jpeg.10341

Newer VIN trunk...

55bfda4d-b3c6-4776-925b-6f29ef4ce520-jpeg.10342

The piece makes a big difference visually.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update -- part is officially on order!!
WANT! Great find @SoFlaModel3! Going to see about getting this as well. I saw in @TrevP Ontario meet up video a featured player was talking about this and I thought... eh, no big deal, but sure would be handy for loading and unloading things like luggage and coolers and not worrying about the metal top of my trunk.

Looking forward to hear from you once you get it and install. Or is your SC going to do it?

EDIT: Also, do you mind if I ask you the cost?

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
WANT! Great find @SoFlaModel3! Going to see about getting this as well. I saw in @TrevP Ontario meet up video a featured player was talking about this and I thought... eh, no big deal, but sure would be handy for loading and unloading things like luggage and coolers and not worrying about the metal top of my trunk.

Looking forward to hear from you once you get it and install. Or is your SC going to do it?

EDIT: Also, do you mind if I ask you the cost?
This should be no cost, at least that's my expectation. The higher VIN Model 3's didn't cost more after all ;)

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This should be no cost, at least that's my expectation. The higher VIN Model 3's didn't cost more after all ;)
Good point, we did pay just as much as people getting their cars now. But Tesla is notorious for making changes on the fly... like better rear seats! :(
Oh well... hope for the best!

Between our replies, I called my local SC and I apparently confused the person...she gave me an email of theirs to write to and explain so I'll see what's going on. I did add a line in my email asking how much it cost.

If nothing else, I'll hit up my ranger when he's back through my way. He's going to get some other parts for me... more details in a relevant thread to come.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, at least those without "garnish" have a "garnish" part number. :p I can wait a few months for it once supply is not as constraint.
Ah, had not heard that you didn't have it either. So they likely started installing this sometime in late April / early May.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Requested this from my SC, they seemed genuinely annoyed I was even asking and told me this was not something the company would retrofit. Bummer. Your SC must really like you ;) I think SoCal SC's are just so crazy busy they are having trouble keeping up

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And what’s its purpose?

Based on my bass needs, I’m guessing I don’t want this (or the new seats) but, if it makes a difference in something other than cosmetics, I’ll want to know then get some measurements.

Mistersandman

Country
Country
I got this installed this last Monday by my SC. I had to ask twice on 2 different visits to the SC to get it installed. I posted the part numbers on a different thread in another forum. Not sure about cross posting rules here so please look it up if you’re interested. They denied me my first visit with the excuse of “it wasn’t an option on your car”. I replied with “there is only 1 option being built right now”. Went back a month later and they ordered and installed it in a couple days. Just tell them it’s a missing part and provide photos or ask them to look in other newer m3’s for cross reference.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haven’t been checking this thread as I have been on the road for 6 days.

How in the world did you get them to order it? And who ordered it for you?
My mobile service technician ordered it for me while he was out repairing some things on the car.

the part # might be diff for order vs manufacturing tracking. It's up to you to get the # they order with.
Will share additional updates once installed for sure!

And what’s its purpose?

Based on my bass needs, I’m guessing I don’t want this (or the new seats) but, if it makes a difference in something other than cosmetics, I’ll want to know then get some measurements.
I’d say 50% cosmetic but 50% functional purpose. The top of the trunk can definitely scratch things that are being removed/placed (luggage, golf bag, instruments, strollers, etc).