Updating Rear Seats to the Current Version?

Country
Country
So I have an early edition of the Model 3. VIN 13XXX. I really love the car, but passengers complain about the lack of confort in the back seats. I understand the complaints, as does Tesla, considering they changed the seats shortly after I took delivery of my car. After having a chance to check out a 3 with the newer seats, I can honestly say the back seats are definitely much improved. Does anyone know if there's a way to swap out the back bench with a newer version? I know the bench portion comes out pretty easily, but not sure if the fit, etc would work with the new bench.

Have any of the early model 3 owners ever look into the possibility of upgrading? I contacted Tesla service and they didn't any info on this. I may have to wait for a totalled model 3 to come around and maybe I can buy some of the parts to try it out. Here's more info on the seat revision if you haven't already seen it.

https://electrek.co/2018/06/02/tesla-model-3-new-backseat/

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing no. From what I heard, when the new seats arrived, nothing fit anymore. So maybe even attachment points have changed.

"I'm sorry Officer, it was the autopilot's fault I ran into the wall"

Country
Country
If I know someone with a newer 3, I'll see if I can check the anchor points and other "fit" issues. Ideally if I can swap the bottom/bench part of the seat that would really tell me for sure.

Xscapes

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember Elon has mentioned this on twitter before. Has anyone got any updates on Gen 2 seats retrofit from Tesla Service? I tried those new seats and they're much more comfortable than Gen 1 and I'm willing to pay for the Gen 2.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know if there is a need for warranty replacement on your seats you’ll get them both replaced.

Curious on cost for the non-warranty switch though...

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know if there is a need for warranty replacement on your seats you’ll get them both replaced.

Curious on cost for the non-warranty switch though...
Wonder if they replace rear bench too? I would like the revised rear for my daughter’s comfort when riding in the back.

I’m going to try and get it when they replace my drivers seat end of this month.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wonder if they replace rear bench too? I would like the revised rear for my daughter’s comfort when riding in the back.

I’m going to try and get it when they replace my drivers seat end of this month.
You can try but I doubt they will do it. The rear and front mismatch isn't obvious where as 2 different front seats would be.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've also noticed---forgot to take photos---that with Gen 1 seats, they really do lay pretty flat when folded forward. The Gen 2 seats not nearly so much. For those of you who do car camping, Gen 1 gives you more of a flat sleeping surface. Yes, we've slept in the car a couple of times. I'd love to see some photos comparing the two again, maybe it's not as different as I remember.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How might one know if one has Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 seats in one's Model 3? :)
the Gen 2 started showing up in cars last spring (VINs in the teens). The stitching on the front seats is slightly different, and the angle/pitch of the rear seat different (to raise the seat from the floor).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can buy the upgraded version fromTesla for 700 hundred dollars. I too tried to upgrade my rear seats, but no luck with the service center. They lie and don't want to change out any seats knowing they are very uncomfortable. I'm extremely disappointed in Tesla for making a luxury car with poor seating. I probably wont ever take my family on a long road trip in my long range model 3, because I don't want them suffering.:( !!!!!!! I have sat in the rear seats for about an hour and man does it suck seating in 90 degree angle the whole time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can buy the upgraded version fromTesla for 700 hundred dollars. I too tried to upgrade my rear seats, but no luck with the service center.
Can you clarify what you mean here?
It sounds like they gave you a price for the seats, but then are you saying that they wouldn't allow you to purchase them?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I got a price 700 bulks, but they checked if i had the latest version of the rear seat. They said I had the latest version, but its not true the rear seat bench is not the latest version it is totally different from the newest version. i know this because I compared it to my friends 60 thousand vin #. I just think they didn't want to give me the rear seat because they wanted to save in costs or there just being mean I don't know I just pretty upset with service those people give at service center.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The service center has never heard of people complaining about the seats. I've went to the service center and they lie they say I have the latest version of seats and nothing is wrong with them, but not true seats suck on the 12,000 vin # i have. Those people dont really care about you all they wanna do is save in cost's. Sometime I get so freaking mad I wanna return the vehicle back, I really hate this SH1T.

MacInfoSys

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I got a price 700 bulks, but they checked if i had the latest version of the rear seat. They said I had the latest version, but its not true the rear seat bench is not the latest version it is totally different from the newest version. i know this because I compared it to my friends 60 thousand vin #. I just think they didn't want to give me the rear seat because they wanted to save in costs or there just being mean I don't know I just pretty upset with service those people give at service center.
So you got a cost of $700 to replace the two front seats ? And they offered that as a service ? If so I would consider this as an option to my 2 front seats.