Updated Configuration Screens w. Dual Motor & Performance Options

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Same here, yesterday my configurator went dead even for the rwd model, today it's back but the awd is still shaded.
I guess they'll run the list from the top down again for the awd version which is just fair.
Tesla has not opened the performance or AWD options for Canadians yet.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Well this is fun... I just logged in. My option to order AWD was available! YAY. Go through the process get to the order screen put my credit card in.... ERROR. ERROR. ERROR.

Logout and log back in... AWD is back to mid 2018 grey'd out... If that isn't the most frustrating thing ever.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well this is fun... I just logged in. My option to order AWD was available! YAY. Go through the process get to the order screen put my credit card in.... ERROR. ERROR. ERROR.

Logout and log back in... AWD is back to mid 2018 grey'd out... If that isn't the most frustrating thing ever.
It SEEMS that ability to do so will be in batches, just like the original LR's. Members who did get the extra option I think all had a direct email via Tesla so far.

So the glitch is not the error as much as it was you being able to get so far the first time. :cool:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Tesla has not opened the performance or AWD options for Canadians yet.
As much as I'm happy for @garsh, I believe Tesla made a mistake in the configurator update. Historically, Elon has always given preference to reward customer loyalty.

Based on the Estimator, Tesla appeared to have the plan to offer D to Canada then current owners, then others based on reservation time. Presumably, Employees/Insiders would have been before all of these groups. We don't know if there was a plan for P because that was never an option on the Estimator.

Curiously, @garsh has a very large lead time to delivery (12-16 weeks) so if production ramp starts after the shutdown next week, maybe other groups will get invites with shorter lead times? If that happens, it would seem like a very bass ackwards thing to do....

Alighieri256

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
2. Color & Wheels

Once you've picked Performance, you have the option of 18" Aeros or 20" Sport.
I was all set to pick the Aeros, but you get charged the same price for either choice!
So... I picked the 20" Sport.

First of all, congrats!

I'm assuming then that the price for black paint was the same as well.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As much as I'm happy for @garsh, I believe Tesla made a mistake in the configurator update. Historically, Elon has always given preference to reward customer loyalty.
I was thinking that originally too. That it had become available to me when it shouldn't have. That's part of the reason why I hurried up & configured ASAP - in case it closed back up. ;)

But then shortly afterwards, I received an email inviting me to configure. Now, that could still be from the same "mistake", but it seems less likely to be the case. They would need to procure a list of email addresses to send that out. That's a little different from temporarily making the configurator accessible to everybody.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
FWIW, there's a thread on TMC in which a Tesla phone rep reportedly stated that, going forward, invitations will be sent solely based on reservation timestamp, without any consideration of owner/employee status or location:

I was told something incredibly interesting that I thought others would want to know. Going forward there is no longer any priority given to employees, owners, or any geographic regions within the US. Invites to configure will be solely based on the date and time of your reservation.
The rep also noted that he was personally affected by this change, though not in a good way:

The rep I spoke with seemed very confident. They said they were planning on getting an AWD Model 3 themselves, but hadn't put in a reservation because they figured they could skip the line when AWD configurations went live. Good for us, bad for them!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
FWIW, there's a thread on TMC in which a Tesla phone rep reportedly stated that, going forward, invitations will be sent solely based on reservation timestamp, without any consideration of owner/employee status or location:

The rep also noted that he was personally affected by this change, though not in a good way:
If this is true, it would cause me to completely change my ordering strategy. I had thought being an owner would give me first crack at D and standard battery but I reserved late on 3/31 reveal day so this may not be the case....

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If this is true, it would cause me to completely change my ordering strategy. I had thought being an owner would give me first crack at D and standard battery but I reserved late on 3/31 reveal day so this may not be the case....
Agreed. It's just one data point, and we're less than 24 hours into AWD orders becoming available (with a slew of ordering hiccups reported), so it may be a bit early to draw a definitive conclusion about how AWD invites are going out.

Teslar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Agreed. It's just one data point, and we're less than 24 hours into AWD orders becoming available (with a slew of ordering hiccups reported), so it may be a bit early to draw a definitive conclusion about how AWD invites are going out.
For guys who are facing issues, can you try ordering in a new private window ?

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For guys who are facing issues, can you try ordering in a new private window ?
That was one of the first things I tried yesterday, both on mobile and on my PC, along with a CTRL+F5 cache-clearing refresh. Didn't make a difference, unfortunately. :(

I even checked the HTML source and confirmed from the timestamps that I was viewing the 5/20/18 version of the Design Studio (and 5/10/18 version of the Estimator). From those data points, it seemed reasonable to conclude that my browser was showing me exactly what Tesla wanted me to see.

Last edited:

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
More info below from the above-referenced TMC thread, this time from a second person who called in and asked when he could expect to be able to configure AWD or Performance.

TLDR: another data point for reservation timestamp being the sole criterion... though I found it odd that the rep suggested that reservation timestamps would not be normalized across time zones.

The opportunity to receive an invite to configure Performance or AWD is going out based on when the reservation was made. She said that invites obviously started on the East Coast first since the stores opened on the east coast first. Then she said something unusual and that is that the plan for delivery of these versions aren't planed to start until well into the end of the 3rd quarter - based on the time of reservation. ( in other words .... east coast first ).
"We aim to respect early reservation holders as was the original plan and ensure them that their commitment to Tesla will be replicated"
On customers switching from First Production to AWD/Performance if they have already placed their order:

"We have become aware that there are many people who have made a reservation of the current model 3 and are calling in to change their reservation to the AWD or Performance version - which would essentially allow them to jump the line on receiving their vehicles earlier. We are allowing all who haven't received their VIN or Delivery to do so at this time, however reserve the right to change this direction if necessary."
On the rationale for not prioritizing employees and owners for AWD / Performance:

"We want to assure all Model 3 AWD and Performance reservationists that these versions have been thoroughly tested and no longer requires testing through an employee test and anomaly program".

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
On customers switching from First Production to AWD/Performance if they have already placed their order:
If I'm reading your post correctly, anyone who has ordered but not yet gotten a VIN can change their config to a D or P?!?! That would mean orders from the mid April invite batch can get a D or P before those that deferred their orders six months before them and have been waiting for this config. That doesn't seem right and would completely go against the guidance of the Estimator that we've been following for almost 1 year.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If I'm reading your post correctly, anyone who has ordered but not yet gotten a VIN can change their config to a D or P?!?! That would mean orders from the mid April invite batch can get a D or P before those that deferred their orders six months before them and have been waiting for this config. That doesn't seem right and would completely go against the guidance of the Estimator that we've been following for almost 1 year.
I'm someone with a mid-April invite and no VIN but when I access the configurator I still don't have the AWD/P options. I think what this means is that if I still don't have a VIN when the new options open up for people with my reservation time, then I can change to AWD/P.

Unless calling and talking to a real person gives me options I don't have in the configurator...

Also, I'm still not sure when you order will matter, it may be that when they start production of AWD/P the delivery order will be based on reservation date alone.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Ok, after placing my order (as quickly as humanly possible), I went back through and took screenshots of the updated configuration screens.

Click on each picture for a larger version.
Congratulations, my PA friend!! Happy for you the patience has paid off!!
Car will obviously look great with those beautiful 20’’ Stilettos and should drive like a true Sports car... :cool::cool::cool:

Watch the speed guns... yet ENJOY!! ;)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agreed, that literal interpretation seems neither fair nor likely. I interpreted the rep's comments as @Brett did, with a corollary scenario being that everyone who's already been invited to configure First Production so far will also be able to configure AWD / Performance by the time production starts, at which point deliveries will be scheduled according to reservation time, so it won't matter anyway.

ETA: Subsequent messages in the TMC thread support Brett's interpretation. Basically, those who ordered who choose to switch to AWD are treated as if they had selected "Hold My Place" instead of ordering, and then when AWD/Performance becomes available for them, they will be able to proceed with their order. (The $2500 order deposit is not refunded.)

Last edited:

JBsC6

Country
Country
Do we have to pay for the 310 mile battery to get awd at this point.

I’m not paying 9 grand for an extra 90 miles of range I don’t have a need for to get awd.

If I have to order the extra 90 miles of range for 9 grand to get awd Delivered in 2018 I’m probably requesting my deposit back.

I wish tesla the best and am beginning to lose my patience since I placed my reservation April fools day 2016.