Update not downloading

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The antenna in your Tesla isn't as good as your phone so if you have a friend or neighbor with a strong signal in their garage or driveway, that's your best bet.

A wi-fi range extender is available for ~$25 and might help you out.

Last edited:

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! All useful and solid information!

I checked on burner phones, and there I see I'm looking at about $100 for phone, number, & plan (color me "too cheap").

So I shall go scouting for some free wifi. I might be able to snag access at the university down the road. I shall report back how well I succeed (or not).
Sit outside a McDonalds for 10 minutes. They have free wifi.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The antenna in your Tesla isn't as good as your phone so if you have a friend or neighbor with a strong signal in their garage or driveway, that's your best bet.

A wi-fi range extender is available for ~$25 and might help you out.

I checked on burner phones, and there I see I'm looking at about $100 for phone, number, & plan (color me "too cheap").

So I shall go scouting for some free wifi. I might be able to snag access at the university down the road. I shall report back how well I succeed (or not).
The antenna for Model 3 is in the left side mirror (at least for LHD vehicles—has this been verified for RHD vehicles?) so angle that side toward your WiFi source.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, my house's wifi doesn't reach the garage
How far is it from your house to garage? I suspect a WiFi extender is your best solution. I haven’t compared models but here’s an example of one that’s $30 new or only $17 used:
NETGEAR Wifi Range Extender EX3700 - Coverage Up to 1000 Sq.ft. and 15 devices with AC750 Dual Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater Amazon product

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not. I understand that it takes 60 to 90 minutes to download. Then it takes 25 minutes to install (meanwhile the car isn't going anywhere). That suggests to me that leaving my phone in the car to act as a hotspot does two things: it (1) hangs onto my phone for all of that time and (2) almost certainly gobbles up my data allowance for the year & then some. So, being yr Basic Coward, I will wait for the car to find it all by itself ... unless someone comes forward with more knowledge than I clearly have.
You need to check your phone plan. today unlimited data is cheap. Once the update is downloaded you can take back your phone. Heck I did an update in a parking lot before work.

longer term I also vote for a WiFi extender. The way updates come you really want to be connected when home.

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dumb question: my M3 (according to the app) has OS 2019 40.2.1. It tells me (as does the car) that there's a software out there, and that I am to connect to wifi to download. Unfortunately, my house's wifi doesn't reach the garage, and the free wifi at my public library doesn't reach the curb that's maybe 10' away. All previous updates have managed to update themselves without any intervention on my part. I believe that I could (in theory) set my phone up as a hotspot, but then my data plan (3 GB/month) would be insufficient. So what's my best course? Just wait until Tesla pushes it out over LTE? Or is there a way to grab it via the car's browser?
How far is it from your house to garage? I suspect a WiFi extender is your best solution. I haven’t compared models but here’s an example of one that’s $30 new or only $17 used:
NETGEAR Wifi Range Extender EX3700 - Coverage Up to 1000 Sq.ft. and 15 devices with AC750 Dual Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater Amazon product
.. or in the case where a range extender won't work is to take a pair of powerline adapters and put a cheap router in the garage to make a new wireless access point.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I had this very same issue with it saying connect to WIFI to download when it WAS connected to WIFI (I verified it on browser etc.). I have never had any issue with downloading the software before therefore I feel it has something to do with this particular update. I tried resetting this and that and nothing worked. It was like this for about a week or so (I even tried the phone as a hotspot and still didn't work). Finally I gave up and made an appointment with Tesla to see what was going on. Yesterday my phone showed a notification that a software update was ready to be installed. I started the update and it went smoothly. Cancelled the Tesla appointment. Not sure what was going on there.....but it just seemed to correct itself (unless Tesla remotely did something which is a possibility....they may have pushed the update again perhaps)......

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So I went scouting. I could grab wifi on my phone @ Starbucks, but it wants a log-in and Tesla don't play 'dat. Ditto the UWNet wifi I can get on my phone. The apparently open wifi @ the posh theater and the public library across the street? Same. Every other wifi that showed on the phone as 'open'? Same. Tried the AT&T shop, for it often has open wifi, but not this one. Nearby there's a Whole Foods, so I had a shot. Weak signal in the parking lot, but the car found it, hooked up, and downloaded the update. Took a good while, but now I know where to go in future.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If there ever was a need for a mod, the Tesla Wi-Fi Booster gets my vote.

You need wi-fi to download an update, yet the antenna in the Tesla sucks.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I went scouting. I could grab wifi on my phone @ Starbucks, but it wants a log-in and Tesla don't play 'dat. Ditto the UWNet wifi I can get on my phone. The apparently open wifi @ the posh theater and the public library across the street? Same. Every other wifi that showed on the phone as 'open'? Same. Tried the AT&T shop, for it often has open wifi, but not this one. Nearby there's a Whole Foods, so I had a shot. Weak signal in the parking lot, but the car found it, hooked up, and downloaded the update. Took a good while, but now I know where to go in future.
Perhaps the last chapter in this tale: having had several suggestions for extenders ... errr ... suggested, I finally remembered: I have a MOCA set up so that the Tivo recorder communicates with other TV sets in the house ... and that I have a spare range extender stashed in the basement (which didn't help overcoming the Faraday Cage that our kitchen is). So I moved it out to the garage, told the car to look for wifi, then created a network using my router's ID and impossible-to-recall-let-alone-hack password, and what do you know? It found it. Then (on command) commenced downloading the next available software update. No more sitting in a grocery store's parking lot looking suspicious.