Update not downloading

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

sduck

Country
Country
The one time that happened to me I tried turning the wifi off and then back on. Didn't do any good. So then I scowled at the screen for about 2 minutes, and finally it gave in and started downloading.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My tesla is not downloading the latest software update despite being connected to WIFI.
I still have 2019.28.2
Why do you think that it has a new update to download? Not all cars get all updates. Models, hardware, and random luck of the draw are items that play into when you get updates.

Just sit back, as long as you are connected via WiFi, they will come.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why do you think that it has a new update to download? Not all cars get all updates. Models, hardware, and random luck of the draw are items that play into when you get updates.

specifically because their screen is showing a progress bar of a download - that is stuck at the sub 5% range of download.

Bigyac

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The one time that happened to me I tried turning the wifi off and then back on. Didn't do any good. So then I scowled at the screen for about 2 minutes, and finally it gave in and started downloading.
That did not help.

Bigyac

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I think it is an updated to be downloaded because the car is attempting to download it.

sduck

Country
Country
That did not help.
Perhaps you don't scowl as imperiously as I do. You should work on that. ;)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If that's at home, your neighbor has wifi on the same channel. All radio frequency stuff is based on signal-to-noise ratio and transmission pulses, and both of those must work correctly to get reception. If you have a decent signal, but the transmission pulses are being drowned out by a neighbor on the same channel, you'll get long delays and dropouts.

So first thing to do would be try changing the channel on your wifi transmitter. It should be in advanced settings somewhere. If it's set to "Auto", the auto setting looks for a channel with the best signal-to-noise ratio, rather than which channel is least busy (to do that, the router would have to stop and "listen" for 2-3 minutes at each startup, which isn't ideal). You could have a neighbor with a very weak signal transmitting on the same channel, but they're close enough that the interruption is constant, so both signals get interrupted.

Bigyac

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: Nothing was really wrong with the WiFi. I took it to the SC and they downloaded the updated. It was the first update since I bought the car, a month ago. The car, with the same wifi has had 2 updates since then that went through with no issues.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting.

As for mine, I decided to try an experiment and, after unplugging, I powered off the car and left it (don’t know if it stayed powered off since I used the app to lock it). A few hours later, I got a software update notification!

It was in my garage and, as far as I know, was using the WiFi.

If the progress bar ever stalls again, I’ll have to see if powering down is a repeatable solution but I hope it was just an oversized update.