Update: Drivers seat squeak / loose seatback

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For anyone experiencing the known issue of squeaking from the driver seat frame, and/or that the seatback is loose and has around 1/4” to 1/2” of front/back play in it, I just got my seat replaced after two months of back and forth here in TX. SC opened case with engineering and reported with videos etc, and got approval for a replacement around 3 weeks ago.

New seat is perfect (for now), and has zero play, zero squeak.
I believe most people reporting this issue were bigger guys, like me. 6’5” and 240lbs.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I, too, am a big guy 6'3" and 240. I have the same problem especially on twisting canyon roads. I asked the SC to investigate and even gave them videos with sound. They said no problem found. How did you convince them to exchange your seat?

Vin

Country
Country
The first few months I had a seat squeak and I decided to try moving the seat all the way forward then back and tilted it slightly before finding a slightly new position to save.
(I have my seat back to where I'm closer to A pillar, and tilted slightly back more so I can look up through the front sunroof at times).
Anyway, I haven't had a squeak since then. Not sure that will help you but worth a try.

beantownrich

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lucky that it took three weeks. Mine took 12. They said "seats just show up". Haven't had an issue since, though there is some puckering of the "leather" at one of the seams. I'll take that over the seat falling back any day.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... Aaaand it’s loose again. This time the seat bottom moves back and forth too. How hard can it be to make a solid seat that doesn’t implode after 1000 miles? Time to play the waiting game for a replacement or fix again... sigh

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@AdNox - I had this exact same issue on my Model 3 delivered in November 2018. The entire seat was replaced last week, and the new seat is a bit better but overall still had a rocking motion that is noticeable when accelerating from a full stop. It’s driving me nuts. If you sit in the rear behind the drivers seat and place your hands on the shoulders of the drivers seat, you can reproduce the wobble by applying some moderate pressure.

Did you end up figuring out a fix? It’s driving me nuts and I feel like the folks at the SC think I’m crazy.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@AdNox - I had this exact same issue on my Model 3 delivered in November 2018. The entire seat was replaced last week, and the new seat is a bit better but overall still had a rocking motion that is noticeable when accelerating from a full stop. It’s driving me nuts. If you sit in the rear behind the drivers seat and place your hands on the shoulders of the drivers seat, you can reproduce the wobble by applying some moderate pressure.

Did you end up figuring out a fix? It’s driving me nuts and I feel like the folks at the SC think I’m crazy.
My car is back in again today for this. The initial message back from the Service advisor was that it's normal and nothing has been done. I texted back saying that is unacceptable, and that less than two months ago my seat was replaced for this exact same issue. They're working on it, and I will keep you guys posted. It's getting fixed one way or another, as I am not backing down on this one. Rattles and vibration I've dealt with myself, as it's pretty straight forward and easy to do, but mucking with the seat doesn't interest me much unless I have no other choice.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car is back in again today for this. The initial message back from the Service advisor was that it's normal and nothing has been done. I texted back saying that is unacceptable, and that less than two months ago my seat was replaced for this exact same issue. They're working on it, and I will keep you guys posted. It's getting fixed one way or another, as I am not backing down on this one. Rattles and vibration I've dealt with myself, as it's pretty straight forward and easy to do, but mucking with the seat doesn't interest me much unless I have no other choice.
Any update on this issue? I’m pretty much in the same boat.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm glad I found this thread. I just had mobile service out for this same problem a week ago today and their answer was much the same "nothing we can do about it, it's normal, we can't feel the movement." I also got the "you're a big guy" comment (6'2", 260). Well no ****, but I've not had this problem in my VW GTI with 22k on it, my Lexus with 40k on it, my Acura with 100k on it, etc. Compared to some of the people I see, I'm not THAT large...

Mine shows up in abrupt movements, like when Autopilot tickles the throttle a little to hard, or I goose it from low speed. You can definitely feel the seat back rock backward about 1/4" or so.

Last night I climbed into the back seat while my kids were playing Dune Buggy Racer and I could TOTALLY feel the difference in play between the two seats. Just climbing in I felt the seat back move, and then sitting there, I could pull on each seatback with two hands. There was noticably more play in the driver's seat than the passenger's.

Time to schedule mobile service again.

Tsquared

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m relatively light weight (110 lb) and I felt the seat shifting when I picked up my car in April. I thought I was over sensitive so I didn’t give too much thought until this shifting back and forth sensation becomes more frequent. My daily commute is 70 miles so I have a lot of time and experience of the issue. It occurs multiple times a day and it happens so randomly - over a bump, on incline, decline, acceleration, and brake. I sometimes hear soft clicking sound. It feels like a bolt is not secured or something. Finally I took my car to the service center. Two guys test drove my car and didn’t feel a thing. They also said to get seat changed, it needs to go through a process and because they cannot replicate the problem, they cannot change my seat. They are re-torquing the seat’s mount point. I’ll report back the result.
In my opinion, their test driving is not valid to identify the issue. It could be depend on how the driver sits, the driver’s weight and how sensitive the driver is. The seat should be tested with a machine to be objective. Also, I think it has more to do with the seat assembly.

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My squeak is from the way I sit in the seat. The right side bolster rubs against the center armrest console. I have to keep readjusting my position. lol

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Scheduled an appointment for the seat for the week after next. Interestingly enough when I selected seat, it automatically selected a mobile appointment. Fine by me.

It's very easy to sit in the back seat and see the difference between the two seats by grabbing the seatback and pushing back and forth. The passenger seat barely moves (it moves a little). There is NOTICABLY more play in the driver's seat. So I'm glad I won't have to have the tech drive it and not be able to replicate the problem. Literally just sit and grab the seat. There is no noise from it save a small clunk.

Will keep you posted.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update....had my car serviced by a mobile tech. He spent 2.5 hours plus taking the seat apart, etc. Very thorough. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. He said that his supervisor was going to check for any additional procedures or order me a new seat. :rolleyes: Well, we will see how this goes.

Schiles67

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any further update on your seat issue? At 6’3”, 265lbs, I seem to have joined the Loose Seat Club. At first I thought it was me but the more frequently the seat “shifts” during even modest acceleration the more I realize it’s clearly not normal. Now it’s just a constant annoyance.

The car has been a dream since late May delivery and 2k miles. A shame to hear the difficulties some appear to have getting resolved.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately no. I was away on vacation last week, which means I was totally scrambling the week before to get stuff done for work and had to cancel my service center appointment. I'll have to set another one for next week.

So the delay on this is more on me than it is on Tesla.

jabramson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went in for service about a month after I got my M3 because when I accelerate a little more than just lightly, the driver seat shifts rearward at an angle slightly. Not enough I'd say to be a safety issue but certainly annoying. Gotten a bit used to it while waiting for a new seat. But it's been around 4 months since they were gonna order one and still waiting on the seat replacement. Just called the local service center again today to try and get an update.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone,

I too had this issue. Brought it in 3 times but couldn’t always replicate the issue. Finally was able to replicate for the tech yesterday and the issue was resolved. Here is the actual wording from my invoice:

Concern: And drivers seat is still loose, moving back and forth.
Found pivot bolts have play. Replaced all pivot bolts and torqued. Tested seat further to make sure issue is rectified and
all is as designed. All play with in the seat is now at Tesla specifications and tolerances.
Correction: Replace Bolts And Inspect Front Seat Belts; No Seat Belt Replacement Necessary
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
SBOLT[5x17],M10-1x15,109,G1309,AD,SD(1516246-00 4.0
-A)

Seat is nice and tight right now. Hoping it lasts.

Mike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone,

I too had this issue. Brought it in 3 times but couldn’t always replicate the issue. Finally was able to replicate for the tech yesterday and the issue was resolved. Here is the actual wording from my invoice:

Concern: And drivers seat is still loose, moving back and forth.
Found pivot bolts have play. Replaced all pivot bolts and torqued. Tested seat further to make sure issue is rectified and
all is as designed. All play with in the seat is now at Tesla specifications and tolerances.
Correction: Replace Bolts And Inspect Front Seat Belts; No Seat Belt Replacement Necessary
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
SBOLT[5x17],M10-1x15,109,G1309,AD,SD(1516246-00 4.0
-A)

Seat is nice and tight right now. Hoping it lasts.

Mike
Has the tightness held up? I am very excited about this possible fix