littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm starting this thread for us to help anyone who:

1. Starts a manual update when notified by the Tesla app that an update is available
2. Touch screen freezes
3. Two scroll button salute blanks the screen as it should
4. But Model 3 never responds again

This has happened to Middie, my Model 3 after a perfect delivery and mind blowing drive home.

I'm very confident all will be well, yet, let's share what we learn.

Last edited:

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First Day in the St Louis Service Center:

1. No success connecting
2. Engineering team engaged and working with local techs
3. Looking like firmware didn't completely update, but logs are still inaccessible on the car
4. Engineering wants to fully understand how this happened to prevent future occurrences (I support that)
5. I have another car (2001 PT Cruiser), so I'm ok without asking for a loaner (for now)

I'll be requiring as much detail as they'll give me what happened, but I know that, no matter how much logging and instrumentation you do, we may not be able to isolate it without repeating the exact same steps while the computers are monitored.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear that...is that the 18.13 update? That is very strange. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks!

Ingineer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How long did you wait before attempting the reboot? As soon as you begin an update the controls will be non-functional for the most part. This is normal. You should allow at least 2 hours before attempting a reboot in the event a software update doesn't complete. Rebooting in the middle of an update is very bad, as you will ensure that it will definitely not complete properly.

That being said, the last step in the update after the gateway has updated all the ECUs in the car, is to swap the current boot bank to the new one (new kernel and filesystem) and then it reboots. If for some reason the new boot bank is corrupt, then you will get a black screen. No amount of rebooting will likely fix the screen at this point as the system is probably in recovery (ELK) and will need the local assistance of an engineer to reload the software. In cases like this service engineering seems to just advise the service tech to put a new ICE in and then they get the old one back to see what happened.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How long did you wait before attempting the reboot? As soon as you begin an update the controls will be non-functional for the most part. This is normal. You should allow at least 2 hours before attempting a reboot in the event a software update doesn't complete. Rebooting in the middle of an update is very bad, as you will ensure that it will definitely not complete properly.

That being said, the last step in the update after the gateway has updated all the ECUs in the car, is to swap the current boot bank to the new one (new kernel and filesystem) and then it reboots. If for some reason the new boot bank is corrupt, then you will get a black screen. No amount of rebooting will likely fix the screen at this point as the system is probably in recovery (ELK) and will need the local assistance of an engineer to reload the software. In cases like this service engineering seems to just advise the service tech to put a new ICE in and then they get the old one back to see what happened.
Details here https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/life-with-middie.7044/post-106199