... unlocking the charge port (3rd party Level 2 chargers)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JMZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello, all ...

My previous car was a 2017 Chevy Volt. When I plugged it into an L2 charger, it didn't lock the port (though one could configure it to emit an infernal howl if it was unplugged without unlocking the driver's door first). The M3, though, locks the port. While this is cool sometimes, other times i'm finding it to be a pain. For instance, at work I charge with their L2 charging stations in their parking garage, which has very bad cellular reception. So, whenever I leave to go home, it takes 2-3 minutes, and several tries with the app, to unlock the charge port, even though the bluetooth connection to the phone is active (as I can open the driver's door). Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, my M3 is still running 2018.18.13, and i've not received any notice of an available update. I've seen evidence that others are running newer versions. Do I need to do something special to be able to receive OTA updates?

Regards,

John

Last edited:

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, whenever I leave to go home, it takes 2-3 minutes, and several tries with the app, to unlock the charge port, even though the bluetooth connection to the phone is active (as I can open the driver's door). Has anyone else experienced this?
I just jump in the car, touch the Stop Charging and then the Unlock on the screen and get out and unplug the charge cable. Chargepoint isn't happy with me doing that and sends me a text telling me I've been unplugged and I can plug back in within 5 minutes but eventually it gives up and sends me a receipt for my charge. I'm usually on my way home by the time it sorts things out. I never bother with the App, other than to remotely check on my charging. But others here may do things differently. This is just the way I handle charging at work or in town.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do I need to do something special to be able to receive OTA updates?
Patience. Updates seem to go out in batches, no one here seems to really know how Tesla decides to do it, although some people do get them earlier than others (the low VIN folks mostly but even that's not always been true). Having gone through more than a handful of updates, some are better than others so having the latest and greatest isn't always wonderful, and the new stuff might be cool but something else may not work quite the same. But I must admit, I love trying out new updates. :)

RandyS

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my car, when I open the drivers door or the rear passenger door, I can then unplug the charging cord from the J1772 adapter and then pull the adapter...I carry the key card in my work badge lanyard, so I just apply it to the pillar and open the door...

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Just open your driver door, don't need to get in. Then hit the button on the j1772 charger and hangon to it for a sec. The T should go a soft blue which means you can remove the charger and the adapter.
This is what I do exactly. I use a J1772 chargepoint adapter at work. I open the door closest to the charge port so the light will turn on (it should be black when you arrive at the car). Then I press and hold on the charger wand button until the light on the car turns white. Then I let go and use the charge wand to pull out the adapter from the car. Then I remove the adapter from the wand and put it in my glove box. I do this every day and it has worked for me. I find sometimes it is hard to get the adapter out of the car and sometimes the car can relock the adapter if I am not fast enough. I found this method works for me all the time with the least fuss.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is what I do exactly. I use a J1772 chargepoint adapter at work. I open the door closest to the charge port so the light will turn on (it should be black when you arrive at the car). Then I press and hold on the charger wand button until the light on the car turns white. Then I let go and use the charge wand to pull out the adapter from the car. Then I remove the adapter from the wand and put it in my glove box. I do this every day and it has worked for me. I find sometimes it is hard to get the adapter out of the car and sometimes the car can relock the adapter if I am not fast enough. I found this method works for me all the time with the least fuss.
Yeah you've gotta be quick and I find the car can lock it pretty tight in there. Gotta give it a solid yank.

JMZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah you've gotta be quick and I find the car can lock it pretty tight in there. Gotta give it a solid yank.
While this was the first thing I tried the first time I charged it, it very well could be that my timing wasn't correct. I'll try again. Many thanks, all :)

Regards,

John

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
and which is why I just unlock the car, get in and unlock the charge port from the screen and then get out and pull everything out... I got my adapter stuck once or twice and when I do it my way it never gets stuck and I can be leisurely about removing everything. But hey, whatever works best, there seem to be lots of ways to unplug!

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I see the issue when I use ChargePoint chargers at work and I cant get the charger out!! The "Unlock Charging Port" button is on the screen but does nothing when I press it. I have to use the APP on my phone to press that same button and then it unlocks it and I can remove it. I feel like I know when i'm doing, but maybe i just need to tug it harder? It feels like its locked.

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Last edited:

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Charging at work, co-worker took the charger and left my adapter plugged in.
Later I couldn’t get the adapter out, had to use the mechanical backup cable in the trunk.
First tried app, unlock and could hear a latch open up but still stuck. Another model 3 owner saidn to open the driver door which didn’t help.
Also tried plugging charger back in, then use it to try and remove adapter which didn’t help.
Then got red light when pulling charge cable out of adapter.

wackojacko

Country
Country
I come back to the car, if it's charged I can just pull out out the level 2 and the adaptor as there is no power flowing so it's unlocked. If it's still charging I just pull the trigger on the level 2 charger and wait a second and the car releases/unlocks the port. I then pull out the adaptor still attached to the level 2 cable. then remove the adaptor.

I don't get any message or lights indicating i shouldn't do it this way. A co-worker always would open the door and stop charging then unplug. I told her how I do it and I think she switched :)

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got my turn at charge port at work again today, seems like whom ever yanked charger and left adapter in my car put it in a bad state. Pulling charger with adapter together worked perfectly fine.

If it happens again I'll try plugging the charger back in for a period to see if I can then more easily use it to remove the adapter. But if it gets stuck again I'll ping Tesla.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got my turn at charge port at work again today, seems like whom ever yanked charger and left adapter in my car put it in a bad state. Pulling charger with adapter together worked perfectly fine.
I've removed the EVSE plug both ways - by itself, and along with the adapter. These EVSEs are supposed to be designed to safely allow exactly that to happen. It really shouldn't have messed up the EVSE. But after dealing with public EVSEs for six years, I've found that they are not very robust, so I'm not too surprised to hear that one is having issues.