Universal Charging connector standardized

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

One topic I never seem to find any discussion on is the charging connection. Since Tesla standardized on their own "Tesla Connector", but has made it an open standard (from what I've read), plus, having more charging stations than anyone else, why hasn't the rest of the electric car manufacturers standardized on this connection?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because that would be perceived as the rest of auto manufacturers conceding that Tesla is so far in the lead that everybody should use their de-facto standard rather than a party-neutral one.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Because that would be perceived as the rest of auto manufacturers conceding that Tesla is so far in the lead that everybody should use their de-facto standard rather than a party-neutral one.
Tesla IS in the lead in America. Leave Chademo for Japan. And they are about to get a whole lot more in the lead. But it would be nice if Tesla included a CCS port in the 3 as well, to expand my local charging options. There are J1772 stations around, and others have only Chademo + CCS connectors.

My only local supercharger is 20 miles away, and I am in a second floor apartment, so unless the management approves my request for a power plug on the outside of the building, which I offered to pay for, home charging won't be too easy for me. Unless they don't mind me hanging a power cord out the window.....

Last edited: