Unexpected Behaviour Requires better EV Charging Station Software

Jan King

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1. Some people plug in their EV at the Yorkdale Mall in Toronto but do not initiate charging so that they can get a good parking space. The problem is that the charger has two cords on one box, and if you park next to them then if the new person tries to initiate charging it starts the bad persons car charging with your RFID card and the fee's going on your account. The charger can't select between left and right cords. It just keeps waiting for the first person to start charging. So the person not charging ends up blocking two EV parking spots. It didn't feel right to unplug his car, but I guess this is what I should have done. I just ended up moving to the only other free spot.

2. At IKEA in Toronto (Leslie St.) There are two stations with 2 cords each and they got all crossed over with no cord plugging into the car at its own parking space. Then one person left and plugged the cord back into the wrong station. Since the station was already charging two cars it would not release the cord that was free and the cars had locked the cords to the cars. I called the 1-800 number and if you can somehow stop charging on one of the cords and return it, then the mixed up cord from the other machine can be freed.

It's funny that unexpected behaviour requires better software on the charging stations.

Last edited:

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Yeah, this is a constant problem. Because the electrical cabling is expensive to install the charging spots tend to be close to mall entrances so some treat it as privileged parking.

Just leave a reminder note not to park if they're not actually charging (let them know we can tell if they're actually charging as well...)

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the phone app for ChargePoint you can choose which "cable" to turn up, they show as separate stations close together.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Multiple times, I've seen people with plug-in hybrids charging at one of the only 3 charging spaces at Disney Springs, looking like they specifically paid extra for a PHEV instead of a gas or standard hybrid vehicle just to get access to reserved parking. I always laugh at seeing that.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Multiple times, I've seen people with plug-in hybrids charging at one of the only 3 charging spaces at Disney Springs, looking like they specifically paid extra for a PHEV instead of a gas or standard hybrid vehicle just to get access to reserved parking. I always laugh at seeing that.
I am finding with my super-expensive car that walking from the far edge of the parking lot is good exercise.