Uneven AWD tire wear

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,
  • Can anyone explain why my Model 3 AWD/LR rear tires wore out twice as fast as the front tires?
I’d had the tires rotated at 10k and they told me that the rear was at “3” and the front were at “6”. I believe it’s a 52/48 balance and you’d expect the front to go first, but not so drastically far apart. I’m filing a claim with Michelin because they’re warrantied for 40k, but the imbalance of the wear seems really odd.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,
  • Can anyone explain why my Model 3 AWD/LR rear tires wore out twice as fast as the front tires?
I’d had the tires rotated at 10k and they told me that the rear was at “3” and the front were at “6”. I believe it’s a 52/48 balance and you’d expect the front to go first, but not so drastically far apart. I’m filing a claim with Michelin because they’re warrantied for 40k, but the imbalance of the wear seems really odd.
my AWD with 12k miles has nearly 100% equal wear across all tires (the 19" Conti tires) with 7/32+ tread remaining on all.
If you are seeing that amount more wear on the rears, I would think the tires have seen many hard starts off the line where more power comes from the rear motor.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,
When you say at a “3” do you mean 3/32 of tread remaining? If so, wow! You roasted the tires in 10k miles. Your Tesla grin must be off the charts ;)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AWD is RWD biased. But there was another thread on this recently. Get your alignment checked.
They did check the alignment and said it was not the issue, which makes sense as the tires had worn evenly on the same end and there didn't appear to be unusual inside/outside wear. Just different degrees of wear from front to back. I'll consider that I may be heavy on the accelerator, but I wouldn't think more than the average Tesla driver. At least I've yet to be pulled over...However, given the weight distribution the torque variable is the only thing that I'd be able to come up with and my understanding is that it's supposed to be a fairly well distributed power train.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my understanding is that it's supposed to be a fairly well distributed power train.
In a RWD car, not only are the rear tires performing all of the acceleration, but they're also performing all of the regenerative braking. So I would expect the rear tires to wear out much more quickly. The front tires mostly just handle lateral steering forces, and what little bit of mechanical braking you perform.

The AWD vehicles have the front tires handling most of the regenerative braking, so tire wear is a little more even front-to-back. But if your AWD car still has that much of a difference, you must be accelerating a lot. :)