Underbody panels tearing off

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picture one looks like a normal seam between the rocker trim and the battery pac, not quite sure of the orientation. Is this under the side below the bottoms of the side doors?

Picture two , flash rust on base metal components is totally normal. That foil tape looks like noise suppression material which I would say is normal.

Picture three, how does that compare to the other side (I. E. Is it symmetrical?). There are a million ways vermin can get at the chassis wiring of this (or any) car.
Agree with all the above. That is not a tear, it is a seam.

Qo240

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picture one looks like a normal seam between the rocker trim and the battery pac, not quite sure of the orientation. Is this under the side below the bottoms of the side doors?

Picture two , flash rust on base metal components is totally normal. That foil tape looks like noise suppression material which I would say is normal.

Picture three, how does that compare to the other side (I. E. Is it symmetrical?). There are a million ways vermin can get at the chassis wiring of this (or any) car.
Thanks Mike, for Picture One, the orientation is from the rear looking towards the front of the car. I've looked at other pictures as well as that Youtube video, I don't see a seam like that on any other car. You sure it's not a tear?

For Picture Three, no, it's not symmetrical, just that one side. But yes, I realize trying to keep them out is near futile. Still seems like it'd act as a large 'scoop' (it's facing forward).

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

I agree, no concerns whatsoever from what I see in those pics. Just drive your car and enjoy it.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen mention here and there of the panels under the car coming off (or the rear bumper) but no threads dedicated to it.

Today I noticed something hanging under my car and it turns out a piece of one of my panels had torn off most of the way and was now folded back and dragging. I had no choice but to finish the job and tear it off, and now you can see HV wiring and drive unit connections are exposed. Hopefully this is not large enough to be an issue (yet).
I'm shocked to see this is made of a soft fabric-like fiberglass material that is even more pathetic than plastic. I had a long drive in the heavy rain last night that might be the culprit though I did not go through any standing water. See my photos below of the piece and the hole...not sure if I'm missing a bolt or not (and what is circled in white?)

I'm hoping others can share their similar experiences and possible solutions. I would love to see more durable replacements. Of course most cars have issues with the front panels hitting curbs etc, but the 3 is already infamous for rear bumpers being torn off, especially after this fiber panel disintegrates.

Here's the article on InsideEVs about the bumpers falling off:
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-rear-bumper-rain/

It includes a video of the underside showing the various panels.

View attachment 19964 View attachment 19965
I had the exact same piece rip off my car yesterday in the rain. These panels are not made for durability. When you drive through a puddle, don’t hit anything and the panel rips off, that’s a problem.

This should be a recall. Never had this happen to any car I’ve ever owned.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the exact same piece rip off my car yesterday in the rain. These panels are not made for durability. When you drive through a puddle, don’t hit anything and the panel rips off, that’s a problem.

This should be a recall. Never had this happen to any car I’ve ever owned.
Recalls are only for safety-related issues, and I don't think this is a safety problem. Just slight reduction in aerodynamics. They already did what is to be expected with a TSB and (hopefully) an improved design.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Recalls are only for safety-related issues, and I don't think this is a safety problem. Just slight reduction in aerodynamics. They already did what is to be expected with a TSB and (hopefully) an improved design.
Does that mean if my panel is torn from water that they’ll replace it free of charge?