Underbody panels tearing off

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picture one looks like a normal seam between the rocker trim and the battery pac, not quite sure of the orientation. Is this under the side below the bottoms of the side doors?

Picture two , flash rust on base metal components is totally normal. That foil tape looks like noise suppression material which I would say is normal.

Picture three, how does that compare to the other side (I. E. Is it symmetrical?). There are a million ways vermin can get at the chassis wiring of this (or any) car.
Agree with all the above. That is not a tear, it is a seam.

Qo240

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picture one looks like a normal seam between the rocker trim and the battery pac, not quite sure of the orientation. Is this under the side below the bottoms of the side doors?

Picture two , flash rust on base metal components is totally normal. That foil tape looks like noise suppression material which I would say is normal.

Picture three, how does that compare to the other side (I. E. Is it symmetrical?). There are a million ways vermin can get at the chassis wiring of this (or any) car.
Thanks Mike, for Picture One, the orientation is from the rear looking towards the front of the car. I've looked at other pictures as well as that Youtube video, I don't see a seam like that on any other car. You sure it's not a tear?

For Picture Three, no, it's not symmetrical, just that one side. But yes, I realize trying to keep them out is near futile. Still seems like it'd act as a large 'scoop' (it's facing forward).

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

I agree, no concerns whatsoever from what I see in those pics. Just drive your car and enjoy it.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen mention here and there of the panels under the car coming off (or the rear bumper) but no threads dedicated to it.

Today I noticed something hanging under my car and it turns out a piece of one of my panels had torn off most of the way and was now folded back and dragging. I had no choice but to finish the job and tear it off, and now you can see HV wiring and drive unit connections are exposed. Hopefully this is not large enough to be an issue (yet).
I'm shocked to see this is made of a soft fabric-like fiberglass material that is even more pathetic than plastic. I had a long drive in the heavy rain last night that might be the culprit though I did not go through any standing water. See my photos below of the piece and the hole...not sure if I'm missing a bolt or not (and what is circled in white?)

I'm hoping others can share their similar experiences and possible solutions. I would love to see more durable replacements. Of course most cars have issues with the front panels hitting curbs etc, but the 3 is already infamous for rear bumpers being torn off, especially after this fiber panel disintegrates.

Here's the article on InsideEVs about the bumpers falling off:
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-rear-bumper-rain/

It includes a video of the underside showing the various panels.

View attachment 19964 View attachment 19965
I had the exact same piece rip off my car yesterday in the rain. These panels are not made for durability. When you drive through a puddle, don’t hit anything and the panel rips off, that’s a problem.

This should be a recall. Never had this happen to any car I’ve ever owned.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the exact same piece rip off my car yesterday in the rain. These panels are not made for durability. When you drive through a puddle, don’t hit anything and the panel rips off, that’s a problem.

This should be a recall. Never had this happen to any car I’ve ever owned.
Recalls are only for safety-related issues, and I don't think this is a safety problem. Just slight reduction in aerodynamics. They already did what is to be expected with a TSB and (hopefully) an improved design.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Recalls are only for safety-related issues, and I don't think this is a safety problem. Just slight reduction in aerodynamics. They already did what is to be expected with a TSB and (hopefully) an improved design.
Does that mean if my panel is torn from water that they’ll replace it free of charge?

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today, two people noted that I had something hanging down beneath my Model 3 AWD. At first I didn't see it because I wasn't bending down enough. Then, later on, I laid down and saw a huge patch of material dangling. I touched it and it felt like a dense felt matt that had been covering the undercarriage. I haven't hit anything, or scraped the undercarriage on curbs or speed bumps, so not sure how it got torn.

I also have no idea why Tesla would use some sort of textile instead of metal or hard plastic for the undercarriage. Wondering if others have experienced the matt underneath falling apart, and if Tesla replaced it for them under warranty. I have an appointment with Tesla in Fremont for later this month and expect them to take care of it since it is not a result of an accident.

I welcome the thoughts and experiences of others.

Attachments

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also have no idea why Tesla would use some sort of textile instead of metal or hard plastic for the undercarriage.
While any material choice would work to reduce aerodynamic drag (the main purpose), this material is lighter and adds additional sound insulation as well. But given how easily it tears, I would have hoped that it would be less expensive to replace.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I must amend my earlier post. I've had several local people get pushback here in Houston for replacing this under warranty. That's a shame, IMO. I would still push on Tesla to fix under warranty but be aware they may claim "road hazard".

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While any material choice would work to reduce aerodynamic drag (the main purpose), this material is lighter and adds additional sound insulation as well. But given how easily it tears, I would have hoped that it would be less expensive to replace.
It definitely looks like a cheap, velvet-like material of compressed fibers that are painted black. Seems like it would sponge up any rainwater and fall apart - as it did in my case.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I must amend my earlier post. I've had several local people get pushback here in Houston for replacing this under warranty. That's a shame, IMO. I would still push on Tesla to fix under warranty but be aware they may claim "road hazard".
I have an appointment with the Fremont service center in just under 2 weeks. I expect them to take care of this. I never had parts of previous cars tear off and fall away, so a Tesla with < 25k miles should not be falling apart like this.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen mention here and there of the panels under the car coming off (or the rear bumper) but no threads dedicated to it.

Today I noticed something hanging under my car and it turns out a piece of one of my panels had torn off most of the way and was now folded back and dragging. I had no choice but to finish the job and tear it off, and now you can see HV wiring and drive unit connections are exposed. Hopefully this is not large enough to be an issue (yet).
I'm shocked to see this is made of a soft fabric-like fiberglass material that is even more pathetic than plastic. I had a long drive in the heavy rain last night that might be the culprit though I did not go through any standing water. See my photos below of the piece and the hole...not sure if I'm missing a bolt or not (and what is circled in white?)

I'm hoping others can share their similar experiences and possible solutions. I would love to see more durable replacements. Of course most cars have issues with the front panels hitting curbs etc, but the 3 is already infamous for rear bumpers being torn off, especially after this fiber panel disintegrates.

Here's the article on InsideEVs about the bumpers falling off:
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-rear-bumper-rain/

It includes a video of the underside showing the various panels.

View attachment 19964 View attachment 19965
I just experienced the same thing and am looking forward to Tesla fixing it. Thanks for posting this - I guess I'm not alone...

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Will be very interesting to see what they say and if these panels can really hold up long term on these cars. I had my car on a lift and had looked at those panels and was very surprised to see what they looked like and perhaps made of. It's easy to see they are critical for aerodynamics. I would have thought a heavy duty thick plastic would have been better with some drain holes.
Completely agree re: a hard, durable plastic or metal being more appropriate.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would say it is similar to material commonly use in wheel wells now, but shocked to see it hanging on the bottom of the car where things can easily kick up.
The tear started at the leading edge of the panel, where it didn't need an impact, just a bit of a sag over time, then catch air and water to quickly pull more then tear it away from the few bolts holding it.
It's pretty easily torn by hand. Definitely fibers in epoxy with a felt like feel to the outside.
I haven't even had a good snow yet, which I assume chunks of snow and ice will obliterate this stuff quickly. Hopefully I can wait till spring to get it replaced, if only Tesla were to have an improved plastic replacement.
Or better yet, and aftermarket titanium version!
Did Tesla end up fixing this for you? I went through the thread and didn't see whether they fixed it under warranty, asked you to pay for the repair, or if you left it as is. Thanks.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did Tesla end up fixing this for you? I went through the thread and didn't see whether they fixed it under warranty, asked you to pay for the repair, or if you left it as is. Thanks.
I never bothered to try. Not when I see dozens of folks here and in TMC getting charged to fix it, and just getting the same weak material. I'll wait till something more durable is available.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm assuming that the hanging portion of the trim part is the forward edge of the rear one that hides the rear axle et al.

I've removed these items about half a dozen times now (for seasonal anti-rust treatments, etc).

I learned that one needs special care when buttoning up these trim pieces such that their forward edges do NOT become exposed to the slip stream.

That requires an ad hoc procedure when re-installing them and tightening down the bolts holding them in place.

One has to start at the center front and radiate from the center front to each edge of the front, or one can risk a bulge that extends into the slip stream.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm assuming that the hanging portion of the trim part is the forward edge of the rear one that hides the rear axle et al.

I've removed these items about half a dozen times now (for seasonal anti-rust treatments, etc).

I learned that one needs special care when buttoning up these trim pieces such that their forward edges do NOT become exposed to the slip stream.

That requires an ad hoc procedure when re-installing them and tightening down the bolts holding them in place.

One has to start at the center front and radiate from the center front to each edge of the front, or one can risk a bulge that extends into the slip stream.
Thank you. I have Tesla Mobile Service coming out this month to replace the ripped material. I'll be there to observe the process. No idea what is involved or how long this new part will hold up. Apparently, it is the exact same design as the original, with no improved material or design available yet...