Underbody panels tearing off

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess a TSB is now out to replace these, though I still regularly see people saying they have to pay for them:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf

A report on Reddit yesterday raised my hopes:

I wonder if those built after November 29th, 2018 have the updated panels already installed. I have a sheet of alumalite that would be tempting to fab up some replacement panels. I would love to have better rock/debris protection than textile panels.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same issue as the OP. Backed out of a driveway that had a large drop and the panel ripped off near the wheel and broke the clip. Theres a small amount of metal damage, along with the paper mâché ripped through completely at the wheel well.

What's a good DIY repair? Gorilla tape?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I checked (and removed and detail cleaned) mine today.

No issues with my trim parts.

Full details of what I found UNDER those parts here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/im-rust-proofing-my-model-3.7282/post-225696

dsc08768-jpg.24735

dsc08770-jpg.24736

When I removed and replaced these last summer (as part of my rust proofing job), I learned that one must re-install these units in such a fashion that all leading edges of said parts are tucked tight against any parts they attach to at their front edge.

This prevents any small front edge ripple/space quickly becoming a problematic scoop that starts a tear.

My technique, when re-installing these parts, is to install all the bolts very loosely, then tighten the most forward and centered bolts first....followed by radiating from the center, the rest of the forward edge bolts.

This ensures a very tight seam between these parts and the other (fixed) chassis parts.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if those built after November 29th, 2018 have the updated panels already installed. I have a sheet of alumalite that would be tempting to fab up some replacement panels. I would love to have better rock/debris protection than textile panels.

My car was built in November 2018 and has panels similar to the original. I just had the front one rip off in the rain. Scheduled a service appointment for next week. Will try to get info on what goes back on it.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I had this problem yesterday … we had a pretty bad thunderstorm yesterday as my wife and I were on 95N and while driving under an overpass we hit a puddle at around 50 mph...no issue for the rest of the drive, so I thought I was fine. But on our way home we almost immediately noticed a scraping from the rear end. I wasn't sure, but I knew about this problem so I stopped to check under the car and sure enough the black cover material was torn and hanging off against the ground.

I was able to make an appointment for service on Friday, but don't know what to do in the mean time. I don't want to tear it off and make things worse, but don't have access to a lift to access it to secure with zip ties like others have done. I'm thinking of trying to stop by the service center in the morning to see what they say. I'm assuming it is safe to drive the car like this (although not safe for the liner that is dangling from the car).

Any insight from those that have had this issue?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the cover material is indeed torn, the service center is going to just pull it off and toss it, so cutting a piece off won't make much difference. And I do mean cutting. If you just pull on it, you're likely to damage nearby panels.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the cover material is indeed torn, the service center is going to just pull it off and toss it, so cutting a piece off won't make much difference. And I do mean cutting. If you just pull on it, you're likely to damage nearby panels.
That's what I was thinking, but unfortunately I don't think I could reach under far enough without getting it on a lift to cut it. I'm hoping that they can help me tomorrow morning because I don't want it to get caught on anything on the road and damage anything else.

Thanks for the help

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can bend it back and forth a few times and it will tear more easily depending on the section that is hanging.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried to get the aero shield replaced "proactively". But SC refused. Their response: "The aero shield you were talking about for the bulletin is not a bulletin we just do not just replace them." Maybe I should deliberately drive over some puddles to get them to change it out.......

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The bulletin in fact says to not do anything if the shields aren't broken.

I can confirm that when the service guy came the other week, that he replaced both front and rear. But they looked similar to the ones that came off.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The bulletin in fact says to not do anything if the shields aren't broken.

I can confirm that when the service guy came the other week, that he replaced both front and rear. But they looked similar to the ones that came off.
So the replacement shields are NOT new parts? I was under the understanding that they were new designs.

Ski

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are new. But didn’t look terribly different.
At the Watertown service center now and confirmed with the service rep that they are replacing the shield with a new part "that is a different material" It's raining today so I'll probably wait until I get home in my garage to crawl down there to check it out and try to report back what I find.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At the Watertown service center now and confirmed with the service rep that they are replacing the shield with a new part "that is a different material" It's raining today so I'll probably wait until I get home in my garage to crawl down there to check it out and try to report back what I find.
Great to hear. Not important enough for me to schedule an appointment just for that, but I will eventually. Hitting one year next week and it's pretty much the only issue I've had so I haven't had the opportunity to get it repaired with something else. If only Tesla made their cars less reliable!

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with @JWardell. I will be one year next month and have had zero issues.

I had the mobile car team stop over last September to program two new key cards for me. That was in the old days when they had to do it as Tesla had not yet enabled self programming of those key cards. The technician spent more time cleaning off camera windows, filling wiper washer fluid, checking tire pressure and cleaning the interface screen then anything else.

What a car!

(Now back to under car panels.)

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Guys remember that there were some Model 3s that they installed that rear panel incorrectly with the front center fastener point being installed over (ie on top of) the panel in front of it instead of tucking it up under it. This made it easier for wind/water/debris to grab it and cause damage. So maybe when they install a new part that looks exactly the same as the old part they're just installing it correctly now? Just a thought.
I shot a quick video to explain...

Qo240

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi all, is this a giant tear in my Nov. 2018 build Mid-Range Model 3 aero guard? Also, if I bring my car in for that, should I ask them to remove the duct tape (see pic). Also, is that random opening normal? Wouldn't want a rodent crawling in there. Thanks for feedback!

Attachments

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Hi all, is this a giant tear in my Nov. 2018 build Mid-Range Model 3 aero guard? Also, if I bring my car in for that, should I ask them to remove the duct tape (see pic). Also, is that random opening normal? Wouldn't want a rodent crawling in there. Thanks for feedback!
Picture one looks like a normal seam between the rocker trim and the battery pac, not quite sure of the orientation. Is this under the side below the bottoms of the side doors?

Picture two , flash rust on base metal components is totally normal. That foil tape looks like noise suppression material which I would say is normal.

Picture three, how does that compare to the other side (I. E. Is it symmetrical?). There are a million ways vermin can get at the chassis wiring of this (or any) car.