UMC Standby Power Consumption?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

96s46p

Country
Country
Has anyone measured the standby power consumption of the UMC? I just noticed it was warm (120° F ) when it wasn't connected to the car. Is it better to plug/unplug it at the 14-50 side or the UMC side of the adapter?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Has anyone measured the standby power consumption of the UMC? I just noticed it was warm (120° F ) when it wasn't connected to the car. Is it better to plug/unplug it at the 14-50 side or the UMC side of the adapter?
It doesn't take much standby draw to heat a small object that much. Of course, if you disconnect on the outlet side of the UMC there will be no drain.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone measured the standby power consumption of the UMC?
@Mike inadvertently measured the standby power of a Wall Connector. It's probably similar. :)

You are correct @garsh, I just re-ran the experiment without the Tesla Wall Connector attached to the car and the reading is the same......so my wall connector uses 12 watts.

96s46p

Country
Country
Interesting, 12W seems like too much to keep the electronics powered up.

Well both connections are upstream of the UMC, unplugging the adapter from the wall or the adapter from the UMC.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll have some measurements made of the mobile connector when I eventually get my car. I already have a TED measuring that circuit.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I took a bunch of readings at the meter only for charging and the umc after charging and unplugged from the car. It was negligible at about .05 watt. I usually unplug it though at the dryer buddy must because I don’t use it often enough and don’t like just leaving things plugged in all the time if they are only needed once a week at most.

KFORE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My CT clamps around my charging circuit measure 0.7 Watts while the UMC is plugged in. Not enough to worry about or matter in terms of electricity cost.

96s46p

Country
Country
Interesting, at <1w I don't think it should be generating that much heat though

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I measured my UMC at standby at 2W @120V. Wasn't thrilled with that. Bright LED I guess!

96s46p

Country
Country
How are you guys measuring? If it is with 50A CT then I don't think 10W range measurements are accurate.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
When I'm back from my first long distance road trip later tonight, I'm installing what will essentially be a "Hobbs counter" for my wall connector circuit.

It will measure voltage and amperage so I know the standby drain.......