UMC Organizer Mounting Advice

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All . . . Thanks again for all the valuable advice on this board.

I’ll be picking up my car in three weeks after assuming I wouldn’t have it until 4Q, so I’m scrambling to get the house prepared. I have an electrician scheduled to install the NEMA 14-50, and I bought a Cord Wrangler Kit on Etsy to keep things tidy in the garage. The kit has two pieces. As per the description on the product page “the primary piece is a plug receptacle with an integrated hook” and “the second piece” in the shape of the letter C “helps to keep your cord nicely alligned”.

Unless someone recommends otherwise, I plan to mount the two pieces vertically directly below the outlet. In other words, the outlet on top, the first piece directly below it some inches down, and the second piece directly below the first.

As I don’t have the UMC in front of me to help with the planning, I’d appreciate some comments on the number of inches to leave between the outlet and the first piece, and the first and second pieces. Also, I’m picturing that that the charger nozzle would be at roughly eye-level so the outlet would be pretty high. Please comment on that as well.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts (and perhaps pictures of your setup?) I’m a functional idiot when it comes to these things.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems logical to me. Having the cord point down would be less strain on the cord. I wouldn't put mine at eye level though, probably a bit lower than chest. I use a similar 3d printed part to wrap my cable around but I've got a 1772 setup so the pictures wouldn't be much use to ya.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would not recommend mounting the holder under the existing plug. If the plug is at normal levels, then it is way too low. Even if it is at the correct height, it would actually make coiling the cord harder.

What I would expect to be the correct position is about a foot away, probably toward the car plug, and at a height similar to the level that you would shake someone else's hand at. This will probably be a little higher than the location on the car. This allows you to easily grab the plug and coiled cable. Also, the lower you go, the lower you go, the shorter the loops and the larger number of loops and the more work to uncoil loops.

Also be careful that when charge, that you don't add twists in the cable. If you end up with a single extra twist when you put the plug back on the wall, then in a short few months you end up with a twisted mess.

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the replies. I’m learning a lot.

Ed W - the electrician hasn’t installed the NEMA outlet yet. Does that change your recommendation? Incorporating all of your comments, I’m now picturing the piece supporting the nozzle at approx chest height and the piece to organize the hose at approx my waste. Doesn’t that allow me to have the electrician install the outlet above the two pieces at whatever height is required to enable the UMC controller to hang freely?

Yes, it will be higher than usual, but I won’t be using it for anything other than this purpose.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine is about as high as I can reach comfortably to pull it out which is a tad too high because the plug is tight and a few inches lower would give me better leverage. But I like it up high because it is more out of the way when I pass by it. Note the measure was just to show how long it is, and does not indicate install position.
20180603_182858-jpg.11120

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Scaots for the visual. The measurement helps me understand that the distance between the plug and the bottom of the controller is longer than I envisioned.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While the tape shows the distance from the plug to bottom of cord, it's the plug to the bottom or cord to the bottom that is more important to me. Since I see the drywall compound covering the drywall, I;m guess that's 48 inches above the floor.
I want the plug holder to be at, or maybe slightly higher than the car's location. That' basically where your elbow is at 90 degrees.
Scaots picture shows two things. It's the height that you have to life the cord to get over the hook. Think about a holder for a 100 ft garden hose. It can be a lot of work lifting it too high. And if you use small loops, you have to use a lot of loops. So the best location is maybe a little lower than chest height and inlike scaots, the cord extending most of the way to the floor.

Now it also makes a difference how far the plug is from the car. If it is right at the charge port, then you will only have to unloop maybe a single loop. This looks to be how scaots installation is. I see about 4 pretty loop, probably straight out of the bag, and one longer loop representing the distance from the car charge port.

Mine is near the front of the car and I have to take all of the loops off, that takes more work to put them back on.

So scaots height is about right, the positioning is pretty good (you do want to make sure that it is screwed into a stud.)
As you can see directly under isn't a great place.

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all . . . to close the loop on this conversation, my NEMA 14-50 and cord organizer are installed and the charging is happening according to plan. Thanks to all the great advice, I had the electrician install the outlet fairly high and the organizer (the part supporting the UMC handle) to the right of the outlet and at chest height. My goals were to ensure that the mobile connector controller hangs straight down so there would be no undue stress on the outlet and the plug, that the handle was where my arm expected it to be so there would be no undue stress on me, and that there would be minimal unwrapping of the cord when in use because the more that's unwrapped each night, the more that has to be wrapped each morning without the benefits of my morning jolt of caffeine.

I'm happy with the results. Here's a pic, but please ignore the yellow electrical wire that feeds the regular power outlets. They came with the house. The electrician who installed the NEMA fed it cleanly from above (the breaker box is on the opposite side of the garage) in some sort of conduit that is barely noticeable.

Hopefully this was helpful to other newbies like me.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks nice. Not having sheetrock up makes for a lot more options.

I would suggest just narrowing your cord loop size to about the size that it came with, 1- 1 1/2 feet and come straight from the UMC underneath and around the hook for the first loop. For me, I use Velcro strips to hold the "base cable" (the cable that you won't have to unwind) together and then only the length from the wall to the car is loose. It would be somewhat similar to scaots picture.

And just to keep things in good shape, try not to keep twisting the cable as you plug and unplug from the car.