Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Ultra High Fidelity Sound?

10K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  rogbauche 
#1 ·
Has anyone with a Model S bought the ultra high fidelity sound package? Is it worth the upgrade? Is it really worth the $2,500?

#4 ·
Signature Roadster 1.5

Model S S85 (RWD only at time), tech package, premium, lighting, cold weather, parking sensors, panoramic roof, dual chargers.

Added the CHAdeMO and have a few additional charging plug options for UMC. At the time we bought the parcel shelf. It wasn't standard back then.

#5 ·
Signature Roadster 1.5

Model S S85 (RWD only at time), tech package, premium, lighting, cold weather, parking sensors, panoramic roof, dual chargers.

Added the CHAdeMO and have a few additional charging plug options for UMC. At the time we bought the parcel shelf. It wasn't standard back then.
AEDennis,

I've considered it but I don't think Premium Audio is it for me as an option, as far as the cost....compared to the cost of other 'options' and what you get for the cost relationship.....I.e. Autopilot (+), Upgraded battery (+), Pano Roof (++), Supercharging-even if there's a cost (+)....I know I'm showing my hand! :) I don't use XM although I'd love the sound. I'm no audiophile though I do LOVE good sound and am particular.
So looking at your option list you went with.....my question is is there anything that you 'optioned for' and it was just NOT what you expected and therefore wish you hadn't? Or were you satisfied with all......

Oh.....also I've read that CHAdeMO was quirky and buggy......compared to J1772.... Etc.....have you found that in your experience?

Thanks Again! :)

Ski

#6 · (Edited)
AEDennis,

I've considered it but I don't think Premium Audio is it for me as an option, as far as the cost....compared to the cost of other 'options' and what you get for the cost relationship.....I.e. Autopilot (+), Upgraded battery (+), Pano Roof (++), Supercharging-even if there's a cost (+)....I know I'm showing my hand! :) I don't use XM although I'd love the sound. I'm no audiophile though I do LOVE good sound and am particular.
So looking at your option list you went with.....my question is is there anything that you 'optioned for' and it was just NOT what you expected and therefore wish you hadn't? Or were you satisfied with all......

Oh.....also I've read that CHAdeMO was quirky and buggy......compared to J1772.... Etc.....have you found that in your experience?

Thanks Again! :)

Ski
There are third party high fidelity options for S that are better than Tesla.

As for my options. Happy with it all. I do go back and forth on wanting the satellite, but it's just too expensive.

As for CHAdeMO. Not so, the chargers themselves may have issues, but adapter is fine.

#7 ·
XM would be the main reason I would consider the upgraded audio (but not at the price that it goes for on the S!)
But since I've had XM since before Sirius, I would be sad to give it up, although with cell data so much better now, I could probably be talked out of it (for the price the upgrade is on the S!)

#8 ·
#9 ·
that's my worry too. Even though I rarely seem to have my stereo on XM lately, I am also mostly in places with a cell signal.
The other thing I was considering was seeing if the standard system had the satellite receiver input and would be able to connect my existing receiver and pick up a new antenna and be set for the cost of an antenna and some time.

#11 ·
that's my worry too. Even though I rarely seem to have my stereo on XM lately, I am also mostly in places with a cell signal.
The other thing I was considering was seeing if the standard system had the satellite receiver input and would be able to connect my existing receiver and pick up a new antenna and be set for the cost of an antenna and some time.
This is what actually got me into looking at Bluetooth to 3.5mm jack converter. I have a portable satellite receiver that has lifetime service that I used to move between my older cars (pre-EV).

#15 ·
The Model S community have used a few, the two that I remember are Al and Eds #54 (in West Hollywood, CA) and Reus Audio.

They're both pricey. But folks love the work. Additionally, they both work with the acoustics of the vehicle, so hard for them to design something until the car is released. So, there's that.

#19 ·
I have a feeling the after-market options for the model 3 will be far greater than the Model S. That being said Tesla is making so many custom parts for the M3 that who knows what will even be possible. I plan to skip any audio options and wait a year to see what the after-market comes up with mainly to keep the initial sticker price down but also to have options that will hopefully be better tuned to my liking. I'd like to eventually add a secondary playback device for flac and uncompressed sources

#20 ·
I can say the UHFS in the Model X is incredible but I have nothing to compare it to given I haven't heard the standard one in the car. I have XM radio in my Lincoln but I never listen to the radio so I refuse to pay for something I don't use. I live with my phone containing my music and podcasts and I'm happy ;)

#22 ·
Hey Trev,

Can you elaborate on how incredible the Ultra High Fidelity Sound system is? You are probably thinking what is this guy asking me, but I mean in terms of "plugging" or "Bluetooth-connecting" a phone to listen to media. How is the bass and clarity of the sound system in general? Maybe do a test (haha, I have no known Tesla owners in my area)?

Jaspal.

#21 ·
I do listen to the radio but gave up on my XM over a year ago. My phone has over 3000 songs on it and is my go to for music. I heard from TMC the upgraded sound system is better than standard but not by much and not for that price. I will add a better system on my own. BUT, upgraded system does have more speakers already installed for you. Something to consider but still, worth the price?

#25 ·
SiriusXM broadcasts a mono signal, primarily left if I remember correctly. If you listen to any music that bounces from left to right you'll only hear half of it. I do love it for my talky shows. This is really noticeable when listening to Ozzy Crazy Train and See You On The Other Side, cranked up to 11 of course. :)

#26 ·
I don't feel that the audio quality would be $2,500 better and I don't think XM is worth it. If I'm going to be traveling cross country and am in risk of not having a cell service capable of playing my audio, then I will have downloaded music on my phone that can play via Bluetooth to cover the gaps. For me anyway, 99% of my time driving the car will be within good cell service that I can use the streaming audio.

Just my two cents.

#27 ·
Did you watch the video where Ken and I take a ride in a Signature series Model X? My 4k camera was capturing 5.1 surround. Have a listen with headphones.
Hi Trev. Could you please provide the link where you and Ken rode in the model X. I would like to hear the sound for myself. Thanks for all of your time and efforts that you and Ken dedicate to the site.
Rick M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.