UI doesn't match the bill for Supercharger fees?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I remember You You Xue posting in his Facebook group for the Model 3 Road Trip that the screen frequently didn't match his credit card statement. After charging for the first time, I just experienced that.

My screen said $4.84 and my credit card was charged $5.28. It's the not the new rates. If it's a transactional fee, that's bogus as the screen should just show what the final fee is. Anyone have any ideas?

img_1621-jpg.6303
screen-shot-2018-03-13-at-2-08-27-pm-png.6304

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I remember You You Xue posting in his Facebook group for the Model 3 Road Trip that the screen frequently didn't match his credit card statement. After charging for the first time, I just experienced that.

My screen said $4.84 and my credit card was charged $5.28. It's the not the new rates. If it's a transactional fee, that's bogus as the screen should just show what the final fee is. Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 6303 View attachment 6304
That address is my local Tesla store! Strange that would be the official address for credit card billing.

Is the fee based on NY supercharging rates which are higher? Maybe sales tax? This is one of those things I'm sure customer service can straighten out.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That address is my local Tesla store! Strange that would be the official address for credit card billing.

Is the fee based on NY supercharging rates which are higher? Maybe sales tax? This is one of those things I'm sure customer service can straighten out.
Interesting thought on Sales Tax, but it's not that. I'll reach out to Support just out of curiosity (not counting pennies) :cool:

Kind of funny on the address as well!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just a thought but your CC bill shows it as a "pending charge". I'd wait until the charge is finalized just to be sure it's different. Please let us know what you find out though because I'd sure expect them to be the same amount. Counting pennies or not it's nice to know what your spending.

rxlawdude

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just a thought but your CC bill shows it as a "pending charge". I'd wait until the charge is finalized just to be sure it's different. Please let us know what you find out though because I'd sure expect them to be the same amount. Counting pennies or not it's nice to know what your spending.
^^^ THIS ^^^

When we took our road trip 12/29 - 1/2, each and every charge displayed matched to the penny on our credit card. It may be they "reserve" a small buffer when they preauthorize the charge.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with those above recommending that you wait to see what the settled amount is...but that being said, we've definitely seen a few cases of post-settlement discrepancies (see discussion starting here). IIRC @Maevra took her discrepancy up with Tesla to make sure that they were aware of the difference, but I don't know what the resolution to her case was (if it has indeed been resolved).

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with those above recommending that you wait to see what the settled amount is...but that being said, we've definitely seen a few cases of post-settlement discrepancies (see discussion starting here). IIRC @Maevra took her discrepancy up with Tesla to make sure that they were aware of the difference, but I don't know what the resolution to her case was (if it has indeed been resolved).
Yep I reported it and haven’t heard back since. The CS rep said something about how the UI was still being tweaked and may not accurately reflect the charge, and they’d look into it. I didn’t follow up though after the initial outreach, it was a couple cents so I wasn’t too worried, but they do have to improve this billing/accuracy especially with more cars paying. I’ll ping them soon to see if there’s an update.

FWIW all other supercharger bills we’ve had have been accurate except that one anomaly.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was going to say it was probably sales tax because in TX they charge it when you charge. I had a QC at EvGo for $5.35 and they charged the 8.25% sales tax to make it $5.78.
But isn’t the Sales Tax there only 6%? So that wouldn’t account for all of it.
As @Mike Land said, maybe it will shake out when it clears

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
"Does the UI match the bill"" - he said, right before getting slapped.

The future is an odd place.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update: Called CS again and they confirmed it's a known issue that the UI and billing can show a discrepancy. They're working on a fix.

If there's a discrepancy, the billing statement would be the true info, not the UI display.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Update: Called CS again and they confirmed it's a known issue that the UI and billing can show a discrepancy. They're working on a fix.

If there's a discrepancy, the billing statement would be the true info, not the UI display.
Interesting that they're describing it as a software glitch.

I have always wondered about the Supercharging data displayed on the screen. My presumption was that the SC and the on board computer are communicating SOC, battery temp, ambient temp, load data from 2nd Supercharger channel, etc to determine rate of charge and amount of energy used.

I wonder if the screen UI shows how much energy was received and the billing statement shows how much energy the SC pushed to the car. The difference would be efficiency losses.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Interesting that they're describing it as a software glitch.

I have always wondered about the Supercharging data displayed on the screen. My presumption was that the SC and the on board computer are communicating SOC, battery temp, ambient temp, load data from 2nd Supercharger channel, etc to determine rate of charge and amount of energy used.

I wonder if the screen UI shows how much energy was received and the billing statement shows how much energy the SC pushed to the car. The difference would be efficiency losses.
Sadly the screen UI does not show the total amount of energy received, only the billing statement does.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Sadly the screen UI does not show the total amount of energy received, only the billing statement does.
Wow. I think I need to spend the $50 per year for TeslaFi. Apparently the API has ALL of this data! Look at the sample logs on this link. It shows "kWh used" and "kWh added", efficiency %, etc. I bet the discrepancy in UI fee and statement fee is this difference.

http://about.teslafi.com/charge-tracking/

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow. I think I need to spend the $50 per year for TeslaFi. Apparently the API has ALL of this data! Look at the sample logs on this link. It shows "kWh used" and "kWh added", efficiency %, etc. I bet the discrepancy in UI fee and statement fee is this difference.
Very cool and very tempting to join! :D

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the same question. Is the amount we're billed per kWh for energy stored in the battery, or energy delivered from the supercharger?

I assume TeslaFi is pulling its data via the Tesla API. I'll have to play with the api a bit and see what is available for the Model 3.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I guess this is no different than a gas car. If I spill gas I pay for it. The difference though being that we have no control over what’s “spilled” in this case.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Any idea how this dat is obtained?
Tried to see on their site but maybe I missed it