U-bolts or other way to secure to the Roof Rack

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

m3_4_wifey

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So not everything I want to put on the car will fit off a t-bolt that goes in the slot and I prefer not to use straps as they tend to slide around in the wind. I'm thinking that I may have to buy some really wide U bolts because of the aero bar structure, but maybe I'm just thinking the wrong way. Anyone find a u-bolt supplier they like, or securing the around the aero bar and what they are trying to secure some other way? Thanks in advance for any brainstorming ideas.

Reactions: 1 person

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I struggled with this, and what I ultimately want is just hard points at either end of each bar that I can hook or tie straps on to, since the stock bars are all smooth edges. I was thinking the universal clamps that my Yakima ski racks use (they can attach to any crossbar) would work. They've updated the design since I got my ski rack, and I'm not sure if the available part is useful for this or not: https://www.yakima.com/fatcat-universal-mount

m3_4_wifey

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I struggled with this, and what I ultimately want is just hard points at either end of each bar that I can hook or tie straps on to, since the stock bars are all smooth edges. I was thinking the universal clamps that my Yakima ski racks use (they can attach to any crossbar) would work. They've updated the design since I got my ski rack, and I'm not sure if the available part is useful for this or not: https://www.yakima.com/fatcat-universal-mount

Thanks for the reply @mishakim . I think I might try going to my local supplier and take a closer look at these similar universal clamps. I'm still not sure if I can avoid getting some customer U bolts, but this might help meet half of my needs.
Amazon product

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not sure why I didn't find these late time, and they're expensive, but a potential option: Yakima Load Stops
Then there's these, which appear to be exactly what I was looking for: Tie Downs, though the Amazon Q&A is less then helpful on confirming which racks they really fit. The listing has a few similar products.
And finally, there's these: Rhino Rack

m3_4_wifey

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm not sure why I didn't find these late time, and they're expensive, but a potential option: Yakima Load Stops
Then there's these, which appear to be exactly what I was looking for: Tie Downs, though the Amazon Q&A is less then helpful on confirming which racks they really fit. The listing has a few similar products.
And finally, there's these: Rhino Rack

Thanks @mishakim for researching some extra fastening options. You never know when there's something new you need to strap to your car.

Last edited:

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got the tie downs (second link in my post above). The hard parts fit, but the softer spacer is shaped for a different bar, as expected. It’s actually made from a fairly stiff plastic, so I’ll probably look for or make something that fits better long term.
516467A3-5905-4543-AA77-B1537DBCEAF0.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person

m3_4_wifey

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got the tie downs (second link in my post above). The hard parts fit, but the softer spacer is shaped for a different bar, as expected. It’s actually made from a fairly stiff plastic, so I’ll probably look for or make something that fits better long term.
Looks good. Here’s how to u-bolts I had worked this weekend. There’s holes in the longitudinal metal rack the u-bolts go through.
5D1BF5DC-7B35-4C78-A77C-1C7489E4B289.jpeg
0AF6FA71-35B8-4AD8-A06D-57CBB931AB8A.jpeg
5C0B664D-2B13-4B49-BC5F-92913131ACBA.jpeg