TX buyers - how long to ship from DFW rail hub?

Firewired

I have been in the logistics quagmire of waiting on arrival since 8/15 for P3D+. How long does it take to ship out from the DFW railhub? Any insight appreciate. I am in San Antonio, car arrived in DFW railhub last Monday.

I just stopped by local showroom to make sure car hadn’t shown up. There are a LOT of Model 3s arriving, and one was a couple hundred off my VIN and identically configured. Delivery manager checked and says car still shows as being in Dallas.

Thanks

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This DFW Rail head is new in the delivery scheme. Sometime in the last several weeks from m reports. No real information and not sure where the information we have came from. There are a couple of large rail yards here for auto delivery. It can be a bit of a nightmare. I once tracked a new Ford we had ordered by rail car that entered the FW area and the rail car moved from FW all the way to Mesquite and back to the Irving area over 5 days before the car was even unloaded. Will be interesting if anyone knows more about the details these days. From that lot they are loaded on trucks for delivery around the metro and I guess perhaps down your way as welll.

Firewired

Most concerning is that even though it arrived to Dallas Monday 8/27 they moved my delivery date from 8/31 to 9/22. So near, but so far.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most concerning is that even though it arrived to Dallas Monday 8;27 they moved my delivery date from 8/31 to 9/22. So near, but so far.
OK. That is a bit much. 4 weeks in the state just moving around and waiting for delivery? They have to work on these deliveries and logistics.

Firewired

Today is my 8th day in DFW "rail jail". I am unable to get any estimates of when it should ship to San Antonio. I wonder if my ISA moving my delivery date from 8/31 to 9/22 made it a lower priority. Frustrating as car arrived in Dallas 5 days prior to my original delivery date (8/31).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today is my 8th day in DFW "rail jail". I am unable to get any estimates of when it should ship to San Antonio. I wonder if my ISA moving my delivery date from 8/31 to 9/22 made it a lower priority. Frustrating as car arrived in Dallas 5 days prior to my original delivery date (8/31).
Day #24 in DFW Rail Jail here. Mine arrived on 8/15 and is actually has Dallas as its delivery location.

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Firewired - How did you find out when your car got to Texas? I was originally told mine was being moved by rail. Which could mean it ends up in rail jail as well like yours and jprac80. My ISA said that unless I hear from him 72 hours ahead of my delivery time at noon on Sept. 18th then everything is fine. Which is funny because I very rarely hear from him. Even when I call or email him. So this should be fun. And by fun I mean not actually fun at all. Hoping to avoid a delivery fail (as jprac80 put it) but anything can happen. But it is Silver Metallic so maybe they'll be in the mood to get it out of the system.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Any other way to track shipping? The United Road website doesn't show my VIN. I have date and time scheduled for delivery (in Austin) but I'm wondering how reliable that schedule is. VIN is 63,XXX.

Firewired

At least for San Antonio they mis-informed me also. I was told it was going to come by rail by my advisor. It cam by truck. The majority of trucks can be tracked on the Unitedroad.com website. Stop by your local showroom, get a few VINs track them on the website and register your email. You will then be notified of arrivals by at least the one company to your showroom.

I think the glut is starting to ease. They had at least 5 trucks over 24 hours to San Antonio from DFW. Take a look at the photo. I have never seen anything like it at this showroom
img_20180911_171008-jpg.14510
img_20180911_171038-jpg.14512
img_20180911_170955-jpg.14509

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Just found this thread, I think I'm in rail jail too! I couldn't find my VIN however on the unitedroad.com site.

Reserved on 4/1/16
Ordered on 6/29/18
Funded on 8/16/18 (Texas has to prepay)

8/24/18 - ISA indicates delivery date of : 9/6/18
8/29/18 - ISA indicates that due to amount of cars on the way to TX it is moved to 9/13/18
8/30/18 - ISA indicates (after inquiry :)) that car is in the TX regional hub (where is that??)
9/11/18 - ISA indicates (after inquiry again) that delivery is now 9/24/18!!

So close yet so far! Just getting frustrated that Tesla has had my $$ now for almost a month now and I'm soon to be joining the ranks of folks in TX that have made a car payment before getting their car :)

I'm hoping the 24th is a conservative date as my ISA probably doesn't want to move me back again. Fingers crossed.

VIN is 71XXX

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just found this thread, I think I'm in rail jail too! I couldn't find my VIN however on the unitedroad.com site.

Reserved on 4/1/16
Ordered on 6/29/18
Funded on 8/16/18 (Texas has to prepay)

8/24/18 - ISA indicates delivery date of : 9/6/18
8/29/18 - ISA indicates that due to amount of cars on the way to TX it is moved to 9/13/18
8/30/18 - ISA indicates (after inquiry :)) that car is in the TX regional hub (where is that??)
9/11/18 - ISA indicates (after inquiry again) that delivery is now 9/24/18!!

So close yet so far! Just getting frustrated that Tesla has had my $$ now for almost a month now and I'm soon to be joining the ranks of folks in TX that have made a car payment before getting their car :)

I'm hoping the 24th is a conservative date as my ISA probably doesn't want to move me back again. Fingers crossed.

VIN is 71XXX

I'm not exactly sure who screwed up Texas so bad. They (Tesla in general) didn't do a very good job looking at the list of orders for the past ~3 years. They could have prepared better and increased delivery capacity ahead of time. We are now seeing that they clearly didn't do enough preparation. We are stuck with this quagmire/clusterf*ck/sh*show where they told everyone several dates now and the delivery teams have to juggle managing the varied expectations and the dynamics of making sure every car going out is 100% safe and detailed/prepped to the best of their ability. I do not envy their jobs. I know it is probably extremely tough and they probably think about quitting every single moment of their day at work.

Firewired

From what I am seeing in San Antonio they are slowly gearing up an making progress with the glut. I have been watching since the my car first shipped 08/15, and I am now finally seeing a lot more trucks arriving, I assume from the DFW rail glut. In addition to the cars that I posted the pictures above there were deliveries today the short time that I was there.

I would expect that similar progress is being made elsewhere. Now the next hurdle is deliveries and from talking to them they are gearing that up also, and will be doing much larger delivery days.