Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Two Routes to choose

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tivoboy 
#1 ·
I have an upcoming road trip from my house to Supercharger is 422km. This route is direct, but there are no chargers until I get to my destination. The ride is scenic and usually takes about 4 hours. If I take the suggested route which includes a Supercharger stop, the ride is about 600km and close to 6 hours including charge top up.

Given the "range" on the extended battery is 499km, would you chance the direct route or would you go with the planned longer route?

This will be the first time taking the car on a longer trip and even though the daily commute with side trips eats up 200km a day, I've never been lower than 100km range at the end of a day.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions and experiences.

#2 ·
What is the terrain on the shorter route? Flat or lots of hills/mountains?

For a scenic, flat route, you can drive slower (not as slow as the hypermiler) and easily make it. If you want to be extra safe, you can check out plugshare or chargepoint to find a level 2 somewhere along the way to stop and eat and add some insurance miles.

Reactions: ChargePoint
#3 ·
Some more details would definitely help with recommendations.
I think that you are saying that your destination is 422km away, but something, maybe the car, suggest that you stop by a Supercharger, but that increases the trip by 178km.

Is there a charger at your destination? How do you expect to refill once you are there?

I'd also suggest looking at the location of J-1772 chargers (plugshare.com) along the shorter way. While they don't charge as fast as a Supercharger, a stop for an hour and a snack may increase your charge to have a good buffer at your destination, as BrokeDoc recommends as well.

Just not enough info to give much better recommendations.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I mapped out the route via Google Maps (the usual route I take). Mostly country two lane highways, some hills, but mostly flat. The city I'm traveling to, Ottawa, has Superchargers (so I can use to charge for my trip back). The suggested route by Tesla maps is a totally different route through major highways which includes a stop at a different Supercharger location about 60% of the way over. But like I mentioned this is a longer trip by both time and distance.

I can definitely check for other L2 chargers along the way, but it is a very rural route with a couple of small towns. Given it is summer, I will likely give the shorter route a try.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, you have to stop and eat and use the restroom. Just looking on Plugshare, there seems to be a few free L2 chargers along the way (not sure which route you're taking).

Boshkung Brewing Company in Minden with Dining/Shopping/Restrooms

Scotiabank in Bancroft (also a 2nd location closeby from Municipality) with Shopping/Restrooms/Dining/Grocery

Metro in Renfrew with Shopping/Restrooms/Dining/Grocery

Now knowing this, you should DEFINITELY take the direct route. According to Googlemaps, Bancroft and Renfrew are both on your direct route. Minden is slightly off the route (but a Brewing Company sounds fun!)

Reactions: Love
#6 ·
I'm so used to just getting in a car and driving until I'm out of gas or close to it. I have to take on a different mindset. Usually on a 4 hour drive, I would rarely stop (always concerned with just getting there). It looks like there are plenty of options along the way so direct route it is. Thanks for the input everyone.

#7 ·
I still think you can probably make it in one shot with not stops if you don't need/want bathroom breaks. A few hypermiling tips like not driving too fast (40mph is around peak efficiency but don't drive THAT slow) and not using the a/c compressor if the weather is comfortable will help (but definitely leave the windows up). Keep an eye on your battery gauge as you get towards the end of the trip and if it doesn't look like you will make it, you can stop in Bancroft or Renfrew as a backup plan. Their Level 2s are 40A so you can get about 37mi for every hour you plug.

#9 ·
I've found that elevation changes normally don't matter much as long as the downhills are not extra steep (to the point that heavy regenerative braking is needed to check speed) and the beginning and ending elevations are the same. A stiff headwind and/or a net elevation gain, however, can make quite a bit of difference.

As long as the destination was about the same altitude as the origin, temps were mild and there weren't strong headwinds, I would just take the direct route and plan on going a little slower to ensure plenty of buffer. With the Model 3 I've found it's easy to better the estimated range simply by driving efficiently.

Reactions: Brokedoc
#10 · (Edited)
try plotting the route you are comparing into this route planner.
https://www.evtripplanner.com/

It will take into consideration more factors, such as elevation change and power gain from going downhill. From there, I find it tries to give a more accurate indication of absolute power usage kwh/mile and a closer NET calculation of total power required.

Might give you more insight and confidence into being able to make the distance more comfortably.

edit: well obviously I hadn't refreshed the page before posting. I see others have already commented about evtripplanner.

And not knowing the actual locations you are traveling from, to, but simply plotting in from Barrie, ON to Otawa, ON, the evtripplanner says to travel the distance of 256 miles (410km) one will only use net 181 (290km) mile of total available miles.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.