Turning off passenger side cooling/heating for increased efficiency?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drive alone almost 90% of the time so it got me wondering if there was a way to turn off the vents on the passenger side to reduce energy load and increase efficiency? I have been able to close passenger side vents in almost all cars with traditional vents. So is there a way to achieve a similar result in Model 3?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drive alone almost 90% of the time so it got me wondering if there was a way to turn off the vents on the passenger side to reduce energy load and increase efficiency? I have been able to close passenger side vents in almost all cars with traditional vents. So is there a way to achieve a similar result in Model 3?
You should be able to change the temperature setting for the passenger side so that it does not cool or heat.

AMPM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The air moving equipment is still working whether you are running one side, or both. It won’t save you power to block the passenger side. Go ahead and enjoy the cool breeze.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The air moving equipment is still working whether you are running one side, or both. It won’t save you power to block the passenger side. Go ahead and enjoy the cool breeze.
@AMPM - You are correct in that the equipment is still working. However, the amount of energy used depends on how much you cool (or heat). If you imply that it won't cut the energy consumption by half, that is accurate. However, because there are two different temperature sensors, one for each side, the total energy load should be less than if both sides are set to the same low (or high) temperature. To think about it in a different way, in summer, if you raise your desired temperature setting, the energy load would fall. That being said, at about 130 MPGe, I am enjoying the cool breeze :)

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would be nice if there was an inside temp display other than the app. Otherwise, difficult to set that passenger side to a neutral temp. Either that or an independent off switch but I’d still like to know the internal temperature.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For reference, your car uses 220-270 Wh/mi, your fan uses about 1-4 Wh/mi.
Or at least that's a normal car fan. Not sure what's in Model 3.

DannyHamilton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
your fan uses about 1-4 Wh/mi.
The amount of power that the fan uses depends on the distance I travel, and not on time?

That seems odd.

So, you're saying that I can drive 60 miles at 60 mph (drive for 1 minute) and the fan will use 60 Wh,
but if I drive 10 miles at 10 mph (also driving for only 1 minute), then the fan will only use 10 Wh?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The amount of power that the fan uses depends on the distance I travel, and not on time?

That seems odd.

So, you're saying that I can drive 60 miles at 60 mph (drive for 1 minute) and the fan will use 60 Wh,
but if I drive 10 miles at 10 mph (also driving for only 1 minute), then the fan will only use 10 Wh?
No, I put it in the same units (Wh/mi) assuming a typical highway speed, rather than making you do the math you did above.

If you think about it, this figure is less dependent on the car's speed (linear) than the car's energy usage for propulsion (exponential).