Turbine wheels from China? (according to Ben from Teslanomics)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all,

I watched the delivery video that Ben from Teslanomics posted. Great video, but one thing he mentioned quite a bit is how he hated the aero wheels, but didn't care because he was going to switch out very soon anyway. He mentioned that he was going to get some turbine wheels from china. Anyone know which wheels he's talking about? Is he talking about the ones from Tsportline? Are those from china? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all,

I watched the delivery video that Ben from Teslanomics posted. Great video, but one thing he mentioned quite a bit is how he hated the aero wheels, but didn't care because he was going to switch out very soon anyway. He mentioned that he was going to get some turbine wheels from china. Anyone know which wheels he's talking about? Is he talking about the ones from Tsportline? Are those from china? Thoughts?

Thanks!
I suspect he's referring to an aftermarket replica model, but it's worth nothing that the OEM Tesla wheels are made in China as well.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I suspect he's referring to an aftermarket replica model, but it's worth nothing that the OEM Tesla wheels are made in China as well.
I assumed the same, but I hadn't heard of any aftermarket wheels other than from Tsportline. Wanted to see if anyone else knew otherwise. Hopefully Ben will create a video to let us know, but I'm very curious.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm sure that's true, but I'm not aware of any aftermarket model 3 rims yet other than tsportline.
Conservatively I think any 18”/19” wheel with a rim width of 8” to 9”, 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern, offset of 35 to 40mm and a center bore of 64.1 or larger with centering rings would work.

(Edit) The wheel must also meet vehicle load criteria.

Last edited:

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Conservatively I think any 18”/19” wheel with a rim width of 8” to 9”, 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern, offset of 35 to 40mm and a center bore of 64.1 or larger with cantering rings would work.
Is that common?

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is that common?
Which one? They are all actually common. You just have to find them all together. ANY wheel shop will search for you. Easier than trying to do it on your own.
For example, TireRack removed the ability to search for wheels by punching in parameters as above. You now can only shop by vehicle type, model, year, variant etc. There are actually good reasons for this. Before you could find a wheel that met all the measurement criteria but that wheel possibly may not meet the load rating required or have the necessary suspension, brake component and body clearance’s required.
Won’t be long before you can enter Model 3 on TireRack and others and have lots of options.

Oregonian

Country
Country
Hi all,

Thanks!
He's getting them from here:

https://evwheeldirect.com/products/evt-wheel-tesla-model-3?variant=3761700929566

img_2981-jpg.5125
img_2983-jpg.5126
img_2982-jpg.5128
img_2980-jpg.5127

Mad Hungarian

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Which one? They are all actually common. You just have to find them all together. ANY wheel shop will search for you. Easier than trying to do it on your own.
For example, TireRack removed the ability to search for wheels by punching in parameters as above. You now can only shop by vehicle type, model, year, variant etc. There are actually good reasons for this. Before you could find a wheel that met all the measurement criteria but that wheel possibly may not meet the load rating required or have the necessary suspension, brake component and body clearance’s required.
Won’t be long before you can enter Model 3 on TireRack and others and have lots of options.
Some of us already do ;)

TSLAholic

Country
Country
5 x 114.3 is the most popular bolt pattern for modern cars - that may be why Tesla switched over to it for the 3.
http://www.wheelsupport.com/bolt-pattern-list-5-x-114-3/
I swapped one of my ICE cars to 114.3 bolt pattern for this very reason. It opens up a whole world of wheel styles and options. Replacement parts like hubs, studs etc. are also a lot easier to source quickly when needed.

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Last edited:

Mad Hungarian

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I swapped one of my ICE cars to 114.3 bolt pattern for this very reason. It opens up a whole world of wheel styles and options. Replacement parts like hubs, studs etc. are also a lot easier to source quickly when needed.
I have to say I was shocked that they chose such and old inch-based pattern, being that they're a brand new company with no non-metric legacy patterns to weigh them down. I was sure they'd have gone with 5x115.
However in my experience OEMs NEVER think twice about whether a certain engineering choice is going to aid in the fitment of aftermarket wheels. And in some cases they seem to come up with unusually creative new specs to ensure that you don't stray from their parts department. They really don't have to care about availability/commonality when they're cutting purchase orders for hundreds of thousands at a time. And being that Tesla is king of the closed-loop automotive ecosystem I'd be equally (but very plesantly, were it to be true) surprised to learn if they really did factor in aftermarket availability into the decision tree.
As of now I just think it's a happy accident.

Tdh

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I’m not sure about price and don’t have much experience with replacing wheels, but those grey ones on the MSM look really good.

Oregonian

Country
Country
Sure, $1195 or $1295 per wheel seems reasonable to me...............;)

For half or less than that I would be looking at German BBS or Italian O.Z. However I’m more than happy with the Tesla 25 lb. 19” Sport wheels.
The price is for a set of 4!

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Some of us already do ;)
Sorry! I absolutely agree. Plus no USD exchange, brokerage, duty issues as well with you being in Canada. Not to mention lower shipping charges. Really liked your winter wheel choice on You You’s car. They would look great all year around.

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The price is for a set of 4!
Funny it doesn’t mention that anywhere I could see. I added it to the cart and it read quantity 1 price $1195.
Could you please link where it’s for a set of 4? Thanks!

Oregonian

Country
Country
Funny it doesn’t mention that anywhere I could see. I added it to the cart and it read quantity 1 price $1195.
Could you please link where it’s for a set of 4? Thanks!
Not to be rude, but all you have to do is touch their name icon at the top of the page and it takes you to the parent site. When you see what they offer there's an individual wheel for $300.