TST Wheels?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone purchased TST wheels from T Sportline? I know that the M3 ones are PreOrder so this is kinda aimed at current Owners.

How is the Quality? Any Issues/Insight?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks! I will have to go thru these after I get some sleep. I have been watching too many Model videos on YouTube...ok, all of them

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They look great but they are pretty heavy, a set will add over 20 pounds of un-sprung weight, that is clearly enough to impact performance and range
I just found the Weight Specs on the Sportline page. Yeah they weigh almost 5 lbs more each but they still come in 3 lbs less each than the sports. So with the extra rubber, they will still weigh a little less than the Sports, or at least a wash in those terms

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's a crude render I did with 18" T Sportline wheels.
Remember, the wheels take Tesla hubs, lugs, TPMS, and rubber.
They told me they would be available "Mar, Apr."

Dtzyt7

Country
Country
I emailed tsportline and asked a few questions:

Hi, I pre-ordered a set of 18" silver model 3 TST wheels. Approximately when do you expect those to ship?

Hi Daniel,

Estimated delivery Q1 of next year.

We revised our manufacturing on this 18" size, and went from a Low Pressure Cast Manufacturing method to a superior Flow Forged method, which will result in a lighter stronger 18" wheel.

Best,

Jon | T Sportline
World's First Tesla Tuner

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I saw something about that on the forums. That's good news. How light do you think they'll be?

Our goal is to be at the same weight as the stock 18" wheel with hub cap (~23lbs) or lighter.

What the avg owner doesn't realize is the TST turbine wheel is an inherently heavier wheel because it has 10 wide fanned spokes. The stock 18" wheel has 10 thinner spokes underneath the hub cap. Hence the reason why we switched to flow forged vs traditional low pressure cast; to lighten up the weight has much as we can without sacrificing safety and quality.

Jon | T Sportline
World's First Tesla Tuner

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good news on the weight. I would imagine with low rolling resistance tires on these TSTs, one could get back a fair portion of the 10% Aero advantage.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In between obsessively checking my email for my totally-not-arriving-anytime-soon invitation (not to mention mashing F5 on my Model 3 delivery estimate), I spent a little time in Photoshop messing around with one of TSportline's new pictures of a blue Model 3 with gray metallic 19" TST wheels. For whatever reason, the 19" sport wheels have been haunting me for the past week, so in an effort to stave off that impractical temptation (;)), I applied my mediocre Photoshop skills to re-render this picture with 19" and 18" TST wheels in silver.

Here's what I came up with:

Silver 19" TST Wheels
Blue-Silver-TST-19s.jpg

Silver 18" TST Wheels
Blue-Silver-TST-18s.jpg

Yup, the 18" TSTs will work just fine for me! :)

Now back to waiting...:rolleyes:

Attachments

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In between obsessively checking my email for my totally-not-arriving-anytime-soon invitation (not to mention mashing F5 on my Model 3 delivery estimate), I spent a little time in Photoshop messing around with one of TSportline's new pictures of a blue Model 3 with gray metallic 19" TST wheels. For whatever reason, the 19" sport wheels have been haunting me for the past week, so in an effort to stave off that impractical temptation (;)), I applied my mediocre Photoshop skills to re-render this picture with 19" and 18" TST wheels in silver.

Here's what I came up with:

Silver 19" TST Wheels
View attachment 4519

Silver 18" TST Wheels
View attachment 4521

Yup, the 18" TSTs will work just fine for me! :)

Now back to waiting...:rolleyes:
@Bokonon,

Why not just get the 19” Sports?

Ski

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why not just get the 19” Sports?
I haven't completely ruled them out. My main concern is how well the sport wheels (and thinner tires) will hold up against the unavoidable pothole hits that you inevitably incur while driving around Boston during the colder months. I've read the horror stories of Model S owners who have tried to run 21" wheels around here, only to find themselves replacing multiple wheels within a 1-2 year span. Anecdotally, I can probably count on two fingers the number of Model S I've seen around here with 21-inch rims (in addition to *maybe* one Model X with 22-inch wheels), so it does seem like there is a strong preference for smaller Tesla wheels around here (even among owners with a "PD" configuration).

To be fair, the larger S/X wheels are fitted with 35-series tires, while the sport wheels take 40-series, so it's not quite apples-to-apples. But the 3.7" of sidewall that you get with the 19" sport wheels is closer to the 3.4" that you get with the 21" cyclone wheels than to the 4.2" you get with the 18" aero wheels. That's enough to make me want to wait and see what types of experiences the early-adopters here in New England have with the sport wheels before I give them more serious consideration. Hopefully there will be some insightful owner testimony and anecdotes by the time the snow thaws.

The other potentially significant factor is that, if I end up ordering RWD instead of AWD, I'll probably want a second set of wheels anyway for winter tires. In that scenario, if I went with the sport wheels, I'd essentially be paying for two different sets of wheels rather than just one. For someone who has never purchased upgraded/aftermarket wheels in his life, that's a bit of a jump.

Ultimately, I guess it just boils down to what I'm most comfortable with. I think the sport wheels are the best-looking option for the Model 3 in general (and blue body color in particular), but the 18" TSTs seem to be a nice balance of aesthetics, cost and comparative durability, so I am leaning toward them at the moment. That may very well change between now and the time I place my order, though... we'll see. :)

Last edited:

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Bokonon,

Well said and thought out. We’ll have to watch and see how early adopters fair as you said. I’m a year out waiting on AWD over Spring/Summer RWD so I’ve got time to see. I’m holding out.
Our roads here aren’t as bad as some cities so not as much as a concern but I agree with your analysis. Things to consider for sure. Let me know what you decide.

Ski

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well said and thought out. We’ll have to watch and see how early adopters fair as you said. I’m a year out waiting on AWD over Spring/Summer RWD so I’ve got time to see. I’m holding out.
Our roads here aren’t as bad as some cities so not as much as a concern but I agree with your analysis. Things to consider for sure. Let me know what you decide.
Will do, Ski! As the winter progresses and more folks here take delivery, it might make sense to create a "Wheels vs. Potholes" thread for logging tales of woe/survival with the various wheel configurations.