TSLA Stock Price Discussion - 2020 Q1

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My newsfeed has an article where one of the stock-predictors concluded that Tesla has advantages the represent "an existential threat" to current auto manufacturers. Yes, we knew that. We've known it for years.

But it's nice to see it become "official". Even nicer for it to happen AFTER I bought some stock.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I just bumped my PUT from $595 to $1,200/share and doubled the shares offered. There is about $20B outstanding SHORT and in a proper squeeze, they are between a rock and a hard place. This will be a real character challenge to the SEC:
  • suspend TSLA to protect the SHORTs
  • standby while the SHORTs (and their enablers) go into receivership
This is an existential threat to 'short' market practices.

LATE THOUGHT: As the price per share inflates, the outstanding 'short' shares become even more expensive to replace. So the '$13.7 B' previously listed by Ihor Dusaniwsky grows exponentially more expensive to cover.

Source: https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/tsla/short-interest
Date :: $ :: shares :: days_to_cover​
12/31/2019 :: $26,259,152 :: 11,650,978 :: 2.253815​

Bob Wilson

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Let the shorts go down in flames. Have the powers that be ever suspended a stock to protect the shorts? Do you think they would/could? I can't see that ever happening, that would be worse than Elon's tweet and blatant inside manipulation by the exchange. Seems that could bring huge mistrust and mutiny if they tried to protect the shorts.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I just bumped my PUT from $595 to $1,200/share and doubled the shares offered. This will be a real character challenge to the SEC:
  • suspend TSLA to protect the SHORTs
Occasionally they will halt trading for a couple hours if significant news is pending, but no stock gets suspended. There have been plenty of short squeezes over the years and this is nothing new.

Not sure what you mean by "bumped your put." Puts are short options going against the stock. If you like the stock why did you buy Puts? (So far selling TSLA AT $420 and $462 missed you $120/share and $78/share respectively.)

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bad time to be a TSLA shorter...here’s a quick piece of info I just read....it seems that TSLA rallying has cost short sellers north of 1.25 billion on Monday alone!!!! Wow!

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Occasionally they will halt trading for a couple hours if significant news is pending, but no stock gets suspended. There have been plenty of short squeezes over the years and this is nothing new.

Not sure what you mean by "bumped your put." Puts are short options going against the stock. If you like the stock why did you buy Puts? (So far selling TSLA AT $420 and $462 missed you $120/share and $78/share respectively.)
From what I understand about options...I think he might have the put in place as insurance against a possible drop in TSLA stock price to offset the loss of his common shares value somewhat.....put contracts for TSLA can be quite expensive though....however..., if you have many shares and are making a significant profit on the recent parabolic rallying....the cost of the put contract may just be a drop in the bucket I guess.....correct me if I am wrong please...just my $0.02

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry if "put" is the wrong term. I have a 60 day order out to sell some of my TSLA at a fairly high price, now $990. I'm working on the hypothesis the SHORT squeeze has begun and there are billions of outstanding TSLA that need to be covered. I'm just trying to keep ahead of the TSLA price.

A cruel irony, Tesla might offer shares to let SHORT sellers wipe out the Tesla debt and fund Gigafactory 4.

Bob Wilson

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry if "put" is the wrong term. I have a 60 day order out to sell some of my TSLA at a fairly high price, now $990. I'm working on the hypothesis the SHORT squeeze has begun and there are billions of outstanding TSLA that need to be covered. I'm just trying to keep ahead of the TSLA price.

A cruel irony, Tesla might offer shares to let SHORT sellers wipe out the Tesla debt and fund Gigafactory 4.

Bob Wilson
What you are describing is a CALL not a PUT. Technically, what you have done is a COVERED CALL because you own the shares already. :)

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What you are describing is a CALL not a PUT. Technically, what you have done is a COVERED CALL because you own the shares already. :)
I think now that he elaborated that he might just have a limit sell order at a high price so that if shorters are desperate to cover shares...they may pay that premium.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I expected some correction....but about a 40 dollar drop in one day...wow.....that has manipulation written all over it...nevertheless....enjoy the sale on TSLA stock....won’t last long....get them while they’re hot

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I expected some correction....but about a 40 dollar drop in one day...wow.....that has manipulation written all over it...nevertheless....enjoy the sale on TSLA stock....won’t last long....get them while they’re hot
I'm showing $497 which is down $21. Morgan Stanley downgraded it...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’m leaving my shares alone. Last week I had set a stop loss that didn’t execute - thank heavens! I expect the momentum to continue through earnings.

For now, I’ve diverted my attention to XRP/BTC/ETH as the crypto market appears to be on the verge of another bull run.