Trunk won't open - Bluetooth problem

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For the last three days, my trunk has been refusing to open if the car is locked. That is, when the car is locked and the first thing I touch is the trunk button, it won't open. If I press a door handle first to unlock the car, the trunk opens. Also, if I'm standing behind the car and close the trunk, it locks right away. It's like the car isn't detecting my phone when I'm behind it.
At the same time, when I look in my phone's Bluetooth list, there are only three of the BLE transceivers listed (long numeric devices that only appear when in the car -- there are usually four)

Assuming those problems are related, my question is, where is the rear BLE transceiver?
Two possibly related issues:
I noticed today that somebody scraped against my left rear fender, right were the sensor is. I don't know when this happened, I was parked in a different spot at work today, so the sun hit the damage and brought it to my attention.
Two, about a month ago, I added LED lights to the trunk via the connector of the left LED.
I figure either the damage broke the transceiver, or my LED lights are interfering with it. Obviously, I can disconnect the lights, but if anyone knows that the transceiver is, e.g., right where the damage is, that would clear it up.

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For what it’s worth, this problem resolved itself when I got the v9 update. The missing BLE transceiver (the one ending in R) came back and the trunk works now. At the same time, the transceiver ending in P is gone, but I don’t seem to have problems at the passenger side, though I haven’t test d it rigorously. I assume it was the reboot that did it, so now I’m curious how to initiate a full reboot, vs just the UI from the steering wheel buttons, which didn’t fix it.

wawam3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
i had the same issues you had. Now, i'm still working with the service center to do the frunk latch replacement and maybe bluetooth HW replacement.

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve found since then that any time things start acting funny, one of the ble receivers is missing, and toggling Bluetooth off and on on the phone always resolves it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve found since then that any time things start acting funny, one of the ble receivers is missing, and toggling Bluetooth off and on on the phone always resolves it.
Can you explain what that means?

mishakim

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you explain what that means?
When you look at the list of Bluetooth devices on your phone (iPhone at least) while connected to the car, the four devices with long random-looking strings for names are the car’s Bluetooth low energy (BLE) transceivers. The last letters R, C, D, and P indicate position. Whenever the car starts acting weird in terms of not unlocking or not starting, I check that list, and one will be missing. When my trunk would not open, ‘R’ was missing. I don’t know if it’s a problem with the car or phone, but toggling Bluetooth on the phone makes them all come back.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
do you normally have the phone in sight of the car (IE without having your body between the phone and car) when trying the trunk?

SoCalWine

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
do you normally have the phone in sight of the car (IE without having your body between the phone and car) when trying the trunk?
This is the biggest factor ^^^.

I usually keep my Android (Samsung S8) in my back pocket. Frequently, I have to do a little body twist to expose the phone to get closer to the car to open both the trunk and the doors. I have never not been able to open the doors doing performing this move.