Trunk won’t open

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Day four of ownership and overall happy.

Trunk will not open from inside screen button, phone Tesla app control or manually at trunk lid button. Worked fine first three days of ownership.

Can not relate to anything like an update etc...

There is no power going to the latch mechanism it seems.

The trunk open animation shows on my phone when button pushed but quickly cycles to closed picture position.

I tried soft reset from steering wheel, locking and unlocking doors, leaving car off for few hours, etc.

Any thoughts?

Also how do I schedule a mobile service appointment presuming a fellow owner cannot help me here?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also how do I schedule a mobile service appointment presuming a fellow owner cannot help me here?
you can schedule service from your Tesla account page (online) or by calling the main Tesla number 877-798-3752.
I think your specific location will dictate if this is a mobile visit or Service Center though.

you might want to try dropping the rear seats and climbing in thru the front and using the emergency trunk release and see if that does anything. Maybe the last time it was closed, something was misaligned with the latch in some way that is keeping it from releasing with the electronic buttons

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
More information that may tip off one of the sharpies here. The trunk opened once from my phone Tesla app today.

I had the car window tinted (30% all around including one piece rear with Lumar Pinnacle for $500) and the installer set off the car alarm by accident.

Either that or more likely the fact that my Tesla app was cycling thru a contacting or updating car message when I pushed he trunk button it opened once and not since. I am certain the white box message asking me to confirm that I want to open my trunk did Not appear that one time, I suspect because the app was connecting/updating.

Clearly the trunk opening/unlatching mechanism is operationL but is not getting the proper signal from the sender.

Any thoughts?

I called Tesla service instead of online scheduling as it’s only asks to schedule at a service center which is a 250 round trip. I was told mobile service will call me in 24-48 hours to set up home or work appointment.

Last edited:

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Typical to take more than three business days to get a call back (not service just call back to ask for an appointment) from mobile service?

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seven days and still no call back from mobile service after three phone calls and three emails to customer service... very disappointed.

Anyone have similar experience/typical?

Just documenting journey now for anyone else that has a trunk opening problem in future and searches forum.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seven days and still no call back from mobile service after three phone calls and three emails to customer service... very disappointed.

Anyone have similar experience/typical?

Just documenting journey now for anyone else that has a trunk opening problem in future and searches forum.
Its been 2 days for me since my SC said mobile service would call me, I'll give it until the end of the week and see how it goes. My issue is that they forgot to install AP although I just got the free trial today...lol

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Its been 2 days for me since my SC said mobile service would call me, I'll give it until the end of the week and see how it goes. My issue is that they forgot to install AP although I just got the free trial today...lol
One would think that the service center by phone request might be able to enable EAP remotely?

I called the local service center and asked for the GM who called mobile service in area and I got a call a few hours later with usual apologies and excuses. Will advise once have an answer, next week...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One would think that the service center by phone request might be able to enable EAP remotely?

I called the local service center and asked for the GM who called mobile service in area and I got a call a few hours later with usual apologies and excuses. Will advise once have an answer, next week...
ha - you just got your car like a week ago, right? I've been waiting for a scheduled service appointment for delivery issues since September 26th. Having a Tesla is an exercise in patience.
Patience is a virtue, and I’m learning patience. It’s a tough lesson.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Agreed, if I can get a trial for Autopilot remotely then that means I already have the hardware in the car. I don't think the guy I talked to knew what he was talking about, I also asked him about me not being able to login with the app and he kinda spun me on that. I called the next day and spoke with someone different and within a minute of talking with him he made a few clicks on his computer and my app was live and paired with the car. So its all in who you speak with I suppose, I sent an email to Tesla in regards to the AP mess up. Lets see how they handle it.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed, if I can get a trial for Autopilot remotely then that means I already have the hardware in the car.
It has been widely published that all Model 3s come with full AP hardware. So enabling it is merely a software setting.

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It took nearly three weeks but the mobile service ranger made contact with my :M3.

Several days before the scheduled appointment, I cleaned a large glob of white grease off of the trunk latch mechanism and it worked fine every time since.

It was the only variable before and after working and I would presume the large quantity interfered with an electrical contact signal blocking the ability to activate the latch remotely or at the trunk release button.

I’d suggest anyone who has difficulty opening the trunk with the phone app, dash screen, exterior trunk button or Fob, to wipe off any excess grease from the physical latch mechanism bronze colored on the inside lid of the trunk.

The ranger eluded to the fact that he saw this once before,

A few niggles were adjusted and my tire pressure plus windshield washer fluid was topped off as part of a courtesy with all taking 20 minutes.

Best part of the experience is having the local moble service email as well as the mobile ranger cellphone number which he texted me from when he was his way. Both of course for future use until the tap or two app feature is enabled per Elon’s tweet recently.

Major Victory

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update:

Trunk stopped opening again and mobile service replaced the trunk latch mechanism and said that the original mechanism was not installed tightly or fully and 'there was a gap' which may have caused intermittent contact or the like precluding operation.

If I knew better i would have hit it with the butt of my hand to push it in to seat it for future readers of this thread....