Trunk too hard to close?

Sam Diego

Country
Country
I am finding I have to slam the trunk pretty hard to get it to shut. The whole motion from swinging the trunk down, hold it in place and re-positioning my hands to be on top of the trunk to slam it is just a hassle. Found a nice youtube vid showing replacement trunk struts from Amazon for around $25 that seems to help. Not sure if this will void any warranties but I'm willing to try it out.

What do you guys think?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In 2 months, I have noticed that my trunk has gotten easier to close but it's definitely still the hardest closing trunk I have ever had in a car.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having had a car with too weak trunk struts, and getting hit in the head any time you leaned under it without your hand on the trunk lid, I’ll gladly take the stiffer struts.

It also may be from car to car. The Turo Model 3 loaner I had recently closed easily without any slamming or more force than expected.

Country
Country
I replaced the struts in another car of mine, and it will get easier to close over time. The struts will slowly wear over time.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My trunk lid struts don't seem firm enough! Early car though (23xx), perhaps they switched to stiffer struts?

PQ3

Country
Country
personally, I'd much rather have the trunk open all the way on its own rather than having it a little easier to close. It's a pita to have to keep pushing a trunk up to fully open, I've had to do that on some older cars where the struts have worn out too much...

Normal cars raise the trunk lid from half way all the way up and drop trunk lid from half the way down to locked (without any additional force). In case of doing it very slowly, it's from 2/3 all the way up and 1/3 down and fully latched.
I made demos last month:

Model 3 trunk behaviour is not normal. We shall expect "fine tuning" soon.

PS: exactly the same applies to hoods with struts. Tesla frunk lids have unacceptable behaviour since the beginning of this decade (they do not close if dropped).

One more BS story to leave a good taste for design flaw.

BMW has aluminum trunk and aluminum hood. Both can be slammed as hard as you want and nothing will happen.
Same goes with doors.

No it doesn't. Sometimes, others do worse. In this case, it is undeniably more time consuming and unconfortable and non one-move operation. Trunk and frunk. Both.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No it doesn't. Sometimes, others do worse. In this case, it is undeniably more time consuming and unconfortable and non one-move operation. Trunk and frunk. Both.
I disagree. Since when is a normal car hood a one-move operation? First you have to remove the hood prop. Second, lower the hood a bit. Third, drop the hood.

For a Tesla frunk hood, you pull down the hood gently. Then press down to ensure it’s latched. So I just saved a step.

Sure, having to close it gently is an essential step, but not having to deal with a heavy hood and possibly fiddling with a hood prop EVERY time I open the usable frunk is the tradeoff.

I disagree. Since when is a normal car hood a one-move operation?
Though I don't have aluminum hood, I can do another video demonstrating one-hand one-move operation.
I assure you aluminum hood operation looks identical, except that hood is lighter compared to mine.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I replaced the struts with slightly less strong ones. Cost $13 each. Anyone can install with a flat blade screw driver in 10 minutes.
After you un-clip an old shock, hold the trunk up with your head while you put the new one on.
The trunk still stays up, you still have to shut it with some spirit, but the false-closes go away. It turns it into a regular trunk.

Edit: to be clear, this is for the rear trunk. I don't know what to do about the squishy frunk.

Last edited:

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Though I don't have aluminum hood, I can do another video demonstrating one-hand one-move operation.
I assure you aluminum hood operation looks identical, except that hood is lighter compared to mine.
I believe it's possible and if so, great, that's very convenient. I just never had a car where it didn't take at least those three moves to close the hood so, to me, Teslas are less hassle in that regard.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lol +1 to @John 's comment above. That is one smooth operation! If Tesla could get their frunks to operate that way that would be awesome.