Trunk mis alignment issue

panpanbebe

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dear members,
I took my delivery back in Feb 12th, till today I noticed that my trunk has misalignment issue. Trunk close fine, I already email to my Tesla delivery team, anybody experience this?

c695a1cc-c8d8-4cb6-be25-6a9b2947dfec-jpeg.23402
b538f0e3-7a2b-4597-99d1-1b0254f6bbc6-jpeg.23403

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it bothers you a lot make an appointment with Tesla service to have it realigned. It will likely require a trip to the body shop

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine was totally pushed to the right side. Literally 1/16” gap on right side and about 3/8” on the left. Best they could do was split the difference so that now each side has matching gaps (but they don’t line up with the back of the C pillar; the “arms” of the trunk aren’t far enough apart). I’ll try and post some pics later.

And no, didn’t have to go to their body shop which is located across town, they adjusted it at the SC.

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine is slightly off too, but I decided to leave it. The mobile ranger I asked about it told me adjusting it could cause it to leak later on.

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
here are a couple pics. The four vertical gaps have pretty much equal spacing now (used to be pushed all the way to the right). Where the trunk arms meet the C pillars dont line up as well but it’s a lot better than it was. I’ve looked at a lot of Model 3 trunks and have yet to see one that I would consider perfect. Either the trunk is not being stamped correctly or the tolerances stack up so that it’s impossibe to get everything aligned perfectly.

6fe8b51e-ec05-49fe-9423-06163a7614ce-jpeg.23449
279966f1-5651-4cc1-9656-e8006b1a4218-jpeg.23450

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have seen this pretty bad on several other Model 3's at supercharger stations. Seemed to be worse the older the VIN number.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They have addressed mine twice. Nothing since it's "within Specs" but my trunk on the driver side doesn't even sit on the bumpers. Whatever, it doesn't leak. Some owner in NY area had to take his to a body shop to get it resolved. I might try loosening some mounting bolts and see if it'll wiggle over to the right so it sides better.

gap-cropped-jpg.23486

TheMagician

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@TheMagician , your trunk alignment looks perfect to me. A movable part like the trunk is not supposed to be right up against the chrome trim like the rest of the body.
Agreed Garsh. The car was delivered with the right edge of the trunk almost rubbing the quarter panel. Maybe 1/16” gap at best (but that arm lined up perfectly with the C pillar). And the new hatch on the Y will take care of the arms not lining up with the C pillars since there won’t be any :)

Three Pixel

Country
Country
My driver side is a bit off as well. I don’t mind the gaps as much as how it sits a little higher. Trunk doesn’t leak and it opens and closes fine so I haven’t done anything about it yet. But I keep thinking of hitting the service button in the app.