Trunk light still very dim

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Trunk light on Model 3 is still very dim. C'mon Tesla, why do I have to replace lights on my S and 3 when I already paid for PUP?

I just swapped out the lights. Here's the difference between original and replacement.

IMG_2133.PNG IMG_2132.PNG

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Have a look at abstractocean.com for brighter LEDs. I got the kit for my Model X and love it.

You can use @Ryan ‘s podcast discount code RTLPodcast to get 20% off your first order

NoVa3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New member, first time poster. I got the upgrade kit from Abstract Ocean for my 3 and it is great. Two issues I encountered. The console light working room is so limited that it’s essentially a blind install. You could put a mirror on the bottom of the console to give you eyes on the light above, but I elected to leave the existing light in place. The light is sufficient and I was not confident once removed that I would be able to get the new light in place.

My only other issue was with the two trunk lights. I’m not sure if the OP used Abstract Ocean or another brand, or encountered the same issue, but the lights are inserted into the heavy fabric trunk liner and secured with black plastic friction type clips that unless attached to the light, just sit loose inside the trunk liner. You push the new light through the trunk liner and it snaps into the black piece to secure the light against the liner. The other lights in the car all go into a molded hard plastic opening, so no additional securing clips are needed.

I have found it impossible to get the new light to snap back into the plastic clip. As it stands, my lights hold in just the trunk liner and the clip is just resting on the light backing, but the light is not secured into it. I’m concerned the lights may come loose over time.

Has anyone done this trunk light install that can speak to this issue?

NoVa3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I solved my own problem. The lights are perfectly sized, you just need to be slightly more mechanically inclined than I am, apparently. If you're attempting an LED upgrade and you have any trouble with the trunk, here are my suggestions.

Remove the clip securing the trunk liner directly above the light to give yourself more working room. Hold the black clip firmly against the inside of the trunk liner as you insert the new light into the liner. Center it carefully and use a fair amount of force to secure the light into the clip. The clip has a tendency to favor one of the small ends of the light, so take care to keep it centered and try to apply even force on all four corners until it snaps into place.