Trunk anchor or hook point

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m used to more places to hook things in my trunk. I saw in a post that there was a bolt in the right side upper part of the trunk in my 3. I found out the size and bought these. One fits nicely, and I plan to use a carabiner I keep in the trunk when I need to anchor anything. Now I’m looking for more 6mm posts to use up the others. I plan to use this if I carry my spare, so I don't worry about it shifting so much.
Eye bolt nuts
hookno-jpg.24577
hookyes-jpg.24578

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No accident. I've hauled the can down to the road with all my cars over the past 20 years. Our driveway is a bit long for dragging it back and forth. I've shortened the tether since this shot and it rests nicely on the protective blanket on the tailgate now. The inside hook makes it more balanced. In previous cars (Mini Coopers) there were hooks inside the lower part of the trunk area that the 3 doesn't have. Maybe it's different when you have a farm and all the vehicles have to do their share of the work. ;)
img_6424-jpg.24582

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No accident. I've hauled the can down to the road with all my cars over the past 20 years. Our driveway is a bit long for dragging it back and forth. I've shortened the tether since this shot and it rests nicely on the protective blanket on the tailgate now. The inside hook makes it more balanced. In previous cars (Mini Coopers) there were hooks inside the lower part of the trunk area that the 3 doesn't have. Maybe it's different when you have a farm and all the vehicles have to do their share of the work. ;)
View attachment 24582
Niceee

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m used to more places to hook things in my trunk. I saw in a post that there was a bolt in the right side upper part of the trunk in my 3. I found out the size and bought these. One fits nicely, and I plan to use a carabiner I keep in the trunk when I need to anchor anything. Now I’m looking for more 6mm posts to use up the others. I plan to use this if I carry my spare, so I don't worry about it shifting so much.
Eye bolt nuts
View attachment 24577 View attachment 24578
This is an amazing idea. I’ve carry my spare during road trips and can’t stand that it moves around during turns, acceleration and braking. I would love to see how exactly you plan on securing the spare to this bolt so that I can do the same. 😃

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because I like using what I already have, I plan to have a fairly large carabiner and I have two soft loop tie down straps that I’ll string together to go around the tire. If they’re long enough I’ll hook it to the carabiner so it is basically anchored.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is the poor mans version of your 3D printed hook. Documented by @LUXMAN - $2.22 from Home Depot !!

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/the-adventures-of-ruby-woo.6292/post-212886

I also have to agree with above poster about symmetry, just doesn't make sense there isn't one on the other side too. I need to examine the trunk a little closer to see what is in there that there wouldn't be one on the other side too. The subwoofer is on this side, so might be related to that.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Eye bolt nuts
View attachment 24577 View attachment 24578
THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA! Love the idea of a Carabiner with it. I like my hook setup but may have to evaluate this and upgrade!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't you have to wonder what a vendor on Amazon thinks and scratches their head when their product might sell 5 a week for years, then all of a sudden they start selling a couple hundred. All because some car folks got together and one had an idea and shared it. Then everyone goes to buy. The vendor though has to be sitting there thinking what in the world changed that all of a sudden my sales have gone through the roof. They will study and study and try to find out why. They will likely never stumble across this forum.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My solution... Found some anchor points for bungee cords way in the back of the top of the trunk. Other end hooks to my trunk organizer. Then I have the front of the trunk organizer hooked to the pull tab for the storage area cover. Works well for me and didn't cost anything since I already had all the stuff.
20190512_173113-jpg.25845
20190512_173138-jpg.25846
20190512_173144-jpg.25847
20190512_173150-jpg.25848

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am thinking about designing and CNC'ing a t-track table like this:

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-t-track-table-top

Only shaped to custom fit, and then covered in a high friction material (line-x or something?). Then you could make L-shaped "bookend" brackets anywhere and move for the specific use case of holding whatever you have put in there.

And of course, I'm pretty sure I can make it for a LOT less than that. Would probably be two pieces of laminated 1/2" high quality (baltic birch) ply to allow the t-trac recesses but still be rigid.