Trip planning with superchargers on the map?

Morder

Hey guys I am waiting on Model 3, not a current Tesla owner. I was just playing around planning some trips and I would find it really helpful if there was a map that could plan a trip based around using the supercharger network. I am sure this is a feature in your vehicle, but would be nice to tinker around with ideas beforehand. Knowing the distance between each supercharger on the stretch would be nice too! :)

Thanks and take care

Morder

Sweet ill check it out thanks :)

I was just tabbing back and forth with tesla's map and google maps lol, figured there had to be a better way lol.

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Planning my first longer trip. Looking for the most recent ideas on best way to do so. Leaning on just using Tesla navigation but am uncertain about:

1. It may be pretty cold (traveling in Northeast weekend before new years). Family will want heaters on (wimps .. haha). Does the Tesla navigation system recognize the wh/mi increase typical in cold weather and adjust for it?

2. Until I get more experience, I'd prefer not to let the battery get below 15% (I'm the wimp now), just to give some cushion. I don't see the Tesla approach allowing me to set a floor for planning purposes. Am I missing something?

Is the evtripping site / app considered the best option? FYI, I expect to only have to stop at one supercharger along the way in each direction so not a big deal. But I'd like to learn a bunch as I think forward to bigger trips.

Would love recommendations from the road trip warriors!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know range anxiety is a hard nut to crack for your first trip. You don't mention how long your trip is, but I'd suggest planning two stops instead of one. I generally stop about every 2.5 hours/150 miles. This works well for range and for break time(especially with kids). If you use more stops you can get accustomed to "riding the bottom" of the battery. Charging just enough to get you to the next stop(plus a comfortable buffer) will allow for quicker charges and thus very little extra travel time. If you charge at home, plan charging to get to 100% as you are leaving. At superchargers, before you plug in, take a lap around the area to locate those amenities you'll need there. Finally, make good use of your TACC, EAP, and NOA(if you have them). Relax and enjoy the ride(you will wish it was a longer trip!).

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you only have one SC stop each way, then I'd say let it charge longer so you can build some confidence.

Plus, it will be a fun stop for the family and ample time to take a break. The first road trip is a blast.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having just undertaken a rather long trip, my advice would be to charge longer than you think you'll need to in order to keep the heat on. For the Model S, the math we used was 65% efficiency and it ended up being pretty accurate. (So, for every 100 miles of range showing, expect 6).
The Model 3 is more efficient though, and I would think that the trip planning sites others have listed should be good with calculations.

We ended up having to cut the heat off on several legs of our trip. Then again, we were carrying a lot of extra weight and were trying to get going as soon as we thought possible. My buddy was like "good enough" and pulling the charging cable when I was thinking we could have used some more charge at a few stops. We'd make it to the next destination, but occasionally with miles remaining in the teens. Too close for my comfort. I've kept my car between 80% and 20% SOC so far and plan to keep it that way as long as possible... but I won't sweat it on any long trips, if we take one in my car versus hers.

crmatson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Planning my first longer trip. Looking for the most recent ideas on best way to do so. Leaning on just using Tesla navigation but am uncertain about:

1. It may be pretty cold (traveling in Northeast weekend before new years). Family will want heaters on (wimps .. haha). Does the Tesla navigation system recognize the wh/mi increase typical in cold weather and adjust for it?

2. Until I get more experience, I'd prefer not to let the battery get below 15% (I'm the wimp now), just to give some cushion. I don't see the Tesla approach allowing me to set a floor for planning purposes. Am I missing something?

Is the evtripping site / app considered the best option? FYI, I expect to only have to stop at one supercharger along the way in each direction so not a big deal. But I'd like to learn a bunch as I think forward to bigger trips.

Would love recommendations from the road trip warriors!
1) I don't think so, but it may dynamically warn you or route you to closest supercharger if you are running low.

2) There is no way to set a floor.

To ease your concerns, just add a few minutes for charging. It doesn't take too long to add a little extra range.
With just one stop, you will be fine.

Some questions for you:
What is your total one-way trip distance?
Care to share your route?
Will you have adequate charging at your destination?

You can read about my recent road trip experience here:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/iowa-maryland-trip.10128/#post-181594

chaunceyg1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also recently drove a long trip, from Florida to Maine and back. First off, the Energy graph on Trip is indispensable. Under 20% scared the hell out of me on the way up, but the way back, 8% was where I'd start to worry. One thing to keep in mind is that it drops significantly at the beginning of a segment of the trip (since you're using a LOT of energy to speed up), and it will level out to a higher percentage as the trip progresses. I can echo the advice to charge a little extra at each stop. If you feel nervous about making it to the next charger, just touch the lightning bolt and stop at one a little sooner. Also, if you need to stop for anything (food, bathrooms, etc) along the way, use the Supercharger map to see if you can charge a few minutes somewhere close to, or at your stop. One segment of my trip was quite long (From Santee, SC to the Florida/Georgia border), and it cuts it very close, but I have learned to trust the Energy graph and always made it to the next charger in time. Also, keep in mind that it plans to get you to your destination without running out of electrons, but doesn't care how many you have when you get to your destination. If you won't have a reliable way to charge when you get there, make sure to stop at the closest Supercharger to your destination.

Overall, the planning of stops the car made were quite accurate, with a few extra minutes at each stop to satisfy my worrying.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll add a tad more to this. My friend and I decided the car is extremely intelligent and knows its own weight. I say this because of the good amount of extra weight (4 extra wheels, 6 extra tires, 2 carry on size backpacks, 2 containers with charge cables and Model S extras, etc.) we were carrying and the calculations/estimates the car made were pretty accurate. The car will even start telling you “you must go below 80 to make your next stop” as you drive and it thinks you’re cutting it close.

Each person is different of course, so on one leg I rerouted to stop at a charger for 15 minutes because I thought we’d get to our destination with too low a percent where as my buddy, who has a good amount more of Tesla road trip experience was fine with single digit % SOC remaining. I think the lowest we had left at a stop was 13 miles of range, so about 5% I’d guess.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having just undertaken a rather long trip, my advice would be to charge longer than you think you'll need to in order to keep the heat on. For the Model S, the math we used was 65% efficiency and it ended up being pretty accurate. (So, for every 100 miles of range showing, expect 6).
The Model 3 is more efficient though, and I would think that the trip planning sites others have listed should be good with calculations.

We ended up having to cut the heat off on several legs of our trip. Then again, we were carrying a lot of extra weight and were trying to get going as soon as we thought possible. My buddy was like "good enough" and pulling the charging cable when I was thinking we could have used some more charge at a few stops. We'd make it to the next destination, but occasionally with miles remaining in the teens. Too close for my comfort. I've kept my car between 80% and 20% SOC so far and plan to keep it that way as long as possible... but I won't sweat it on any long trips, if we take one in my car versus hers.
I completely agree with you @Lovesword . Two notes I'd add. I agree that M3 is likely more efficient than your MS experience. I think most folks can count on 7 miles per 10 and be safe. Second, after you've charged enough to carry on, charge another 10 minutes...it'll save a lot of worry time later!

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having just done a turn & burn (500 miles in one day) I'm coming to the conclusion to stop at a SC every 100-150 miles. People need to use the bathroom, get something to drink/eat, just plain walk around after being stuck in a car for up to two hours. Charge while you're recharging yourself, leave when you want. You'll have another 100-150 miles of range, plenty to get to the next one.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm coming to the conclusion to stop at a SC every 100-150 miles.
Each of us has their own preferences obviously. My wife would enjoy your style of driving. Me? I prefer a full charge and around 250+ miles before stopping (every other Supercharger). I also don't worry if I'm below 8% either. 5%? That's another story, done that a few times but I did worry then. But if you do LONG stretches, you're pretty much stuck at the speed limit, no fun squirting in and out of traffic :)

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All - really appreciate the input and advice. The drive is from Boston area to out on Long Island via NYC (no ferry). Not too bad at all but I do expect one charger stop. NYC traffic is a bit of a wild card so I expect to be conservative. I'll check out the abetterrouteplanner site and play around.

Again, thank you!! Good perspectives.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All - really appreciate the input and advice. The drive is from Boston area to out on Long Island via NYC (no ferry). Not too bad at all but I do expect one charger stop. NYC traffic is a bit of a wild card so I expect to be conservative. I'll check out the abetterrouteplanner site and play around.
Again, thank you!! Good perspectives.
Let us know how it goes!

One thing to be aware of on this particular route: the southbound Supercharger on the Merritt parkway in Greenwich CT is this tiny little strip of a parking lot and a convenience store, and ICE vehicles are allowed to park in the supercharger spaces for up to 15 minutes (but some stay for longer). These ICE'd stalls will show up as "available" on the car's Nav since no one is plugged in, even if they aren't actually usable. Avoid stopping here if you can, even though it's right around the point where someone coming from the Boston area might need a charge.

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Realized I didn't answer a question above -- place I'm going to has a Nema 6-20R receptacle in the garage .... pretty cool. I ordered an adapter off the Tesla website .... have the order confirmation, says will let me know when shipped.

Hoping the adapter ships quicker than the tire repair kit I ordered a couple weeks ago. That kit didn't move for a while ... I'm finally seeing that it is on its way. Would like to have that kit for some peace of mind for road trips.

There is also a supercharger not far away so I'm feeling good on the destination end of the trip.

Again, thanks all.

njkode

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Kind of thread jacking here, sorry OP. I didnt want to start a new thread..

It looks like I'll be taking my first long trip in my model 3 next week. Los Angeles to Scottsdale AZ. I've planed the trip out so I roughly know where I'll have to stop for supercharging. Just a quick question did anyone ever do a test charge at a supercharger before taking a trip. I've never set up an account for supercharging so I assume that is something Tesla already did or do I need to do something? Up until now, I've only ever charged at home.