Transmission lever doesn't work sometimes

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dano9258

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my car just 1 day under a month and have had this issue 2 different times now. So its not happening that often but it is slightly annoying. I get in like normal, put my foot on the brake and everything comes on. I then push the lever down to go to drive, and nothing. It happened about 2 weeks ago, and then again yesterday on my road trip to Utah. I have to shut the car off using the 'power off' button and when it restarts it works.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've experienced that too. Seems it's related to Phone Key as, if I put the key card on the console, it starts working again.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I've had my car just 1 day under a month and have had this issue 2 different times now. So its not happening that often but it is slightly annoying. I get in like normal, put my foot on the brake and everything comes on. I then push the lever down to go to drive, and nothing. It happened about 2 weeks ago, and then again yesterday on my road trip to Utah. I have to shut the car off using the 'power off' button and when it restarts it works.
I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing, but if you have "Easy Entry" activated, the seat and steering wheel will move into your programmed driving position when you step on the brake. When the motors are moving the seat and wheel into position, you cannot select drive (or you need to double tap the shift lever).

Dano9258

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure if this is what you're seeing, but if you have "Easy Entry" activated, the seat and steering wheel will move into your programmed driving position when you step on the brake. When the motors are moving the seat and wheel into position, you cannot select drive (or you need to double tap the shift lever).
No, I'm the only one who drives the car. Wife refuses to thinking I'd blame her if I found something wrong with it...which is completely false. No matter how long I wait it won't do anything either.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this happen two or three times too so far & agree it appears to be a phone key issue (iPhone SE). Once I got the “tap the key card to the center console” advice. Interesting that it saw the phone key to let me in but not to start/drive.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm, didn't think about the key card. Thanks for the help guys
I’d also suggest checking the app and making sure the “phone as key” still says “connected.” I’ve had mine disconnect on its own occasionally. A quick switch to airplane mode, couple second pause and then back off airplane mode has done the trick for me. It’s usually when I’m still outside the car though, not when it’s unlocked and I’m inside wanting to drive.

Also, sounds like you do this already but in case you (or someone else reading this) doesn’t do it yet.... when you step on the brake to “start” the car, try and wait for all the icons at the top of the white part of the screen to go away (a few seconds) before putting your car into gear.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've hit this several times as well (just yesterday, in fact)... It's not the "tap key to drive" case- the warning icons have already cycled, and the usual two headlight/foglight icons are on (which normally only happens when the car is "on" and ready to drive). In the cases where I've had this happen, it's never taken longer than about 90s to start working, but tapping the card key on the console, pumping the brake pedal, restarting Bluetooth (the app did show "Connected" for the key) had no effect. The selector lever is just ignored for 20-90s. In most cases, I just leave it alone for about 10s, and it'll just start working, but I did have a couple cases where it took well over a minute to start responding (that's where I started trying with the keycard), and one time I even soft-rebooted (which did work, but again not sure if it was the added delay or the MCU reboot that actually fixed it). If you think you've seen success from using the keycard, I'm guessing it was really just the delay, because it definitely did not help me in the longer cases.

dcdttu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the car 2 days and it's done it to me twice now. It also didn't auto-lock when I walked away once. I have an original Pixel, and I heard that one is awful as a Bluetooth key. Weird thing is, I have a 99% success rate in unlocking the car with my phone, so you'd think once you're in the car after it unlocking via your phone, the gear selector would work.

Also, when you press the brake, everything that's supposed to happen happens - except the gear selector doesn't work...until it finally does.

dcdttu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've hit this several times as well (just yesterday, in fact)... It's not the "tap key to drive" case- the warning icons have already cycled, and the usual two headlight/foglight icons are on (which normally only happens when the car is "on" and ready to drive). In the cases where I've had this happen, it's never taken longer than about 90s to start working, but tapping the card key on the console, pumping the brake pedal, restarting Bluetooth (the app did show "Connected" for the key) had no effect. The selector lever is just ignored for 20-90s. In most cases, I just leave it alone for about 10s, and it'll just start working, but I did have a couple cases where it took well over a minute to start responding (that's where I started trying with the keycard), and one time I even soft-rebooted (which did work, but again not sure if it was the added delay or the MCU reboot that actually fixed it). If you think you've seen success from using the keycard, I'm guessing it was really just the delay, because it definitely did not help me in the longer cases.

I think you're right - too much goes right / works correctly for it to be a failure a the Bluetooth key level. My car unlocks, my headlights turn on (in the garage), all the display icons light up, everything but the gear selector. I think it's something with the software.