Transferring Plates in Michigan

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately Tesla is banned from selling cars in Michigan so I will be picking my Model 3 up from Ohio on July 16th! I am not providing a trade in so my ISA assumed I had no plates to transfer but I told her I do but did not know if that would be possible since they are not working with me in Michigan. She said that it would not be a problem and she only needed a picture of the plate and the registration, which I sent to her.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will Tesla be able to transfer my Michigan plate in Ohio or will I get a temp Ohio plate and have to visit the SOS in Michigan to transfer the plate myself once I get all the paperwork from Tesla?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did the exact same thing and Ohio gave me a temp registration. I had to go to the SOS to get it transferred.
Good info! Thanks, I will be picking up mine on July 12 in Ohio. Just shows you how committed The auto industry in Michigan is to EVs, even the ones offering them.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my paperwork from Tesla today so I can transfer my plate. No where do I see the $35K base price needed for setting the registration fee. How did it work for you all?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my paperwork from Tesla today so I can transfer my plate. No where do I see the $35K base price needed for setting the registration fee. How did it work for you all?
Yes, I also got my Title today and didn't see anywhere 35k is mention. They have printed the full price.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So do you want to be the guinea pig for me? ;)
Haha !
I have setup an appointment with SOS on the 27th. I plan to print & take along the agreement in our Tesla account (where it shows the breakdown but still doesn't show 35k anywhere) Let's see how it goes. When is your appointment?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haha !
I have setup an appointment with SOS on the 27th. I plan to print & take along the agreement in our Tesla account (where it shows the breakdown but still doesn't show 35k anywhere) Let's see how it goes. When is your appointment?
I have not scheduled an appointment. My temporary tag is good until Septmeber 8th. Will hopefully get something going before then. Please let me know how it goes for you.

Three Pixel

Country
Country
06b9d723-01f2-460e-b26c-40cb030f5616-png.13361
I have not scheduled an appointment. My temporary tag is good until Septmeber 8th. Will hopefully get something going before then. Please let me know how it goes for you.
You guys are way ahead of me, but I’m following this so I know how it goes.

In my order screen I can bring up my order and look at the cost breakdown it lists “Model 3 - $35,000”. Not sure if that somehow helps you guys?

Last edited:

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 13361 View attachment 13361

You guys are way ahead of me, but I’m following this so I know how it goes.

In my order screen I can bring up my order and look at the cost breakdown it lists “Model 3 - $35,000”. Not sure if that somehow helps you guys?
For some reason when I bring up my order page I am only showing $49,000 and there is no drop-down like you have shown in your screenshot. Not sure if you have already picked up the delivery and not sure if this will go away once we pick up the delivery. Just to be safe I would immediately take a print out of your order break-down and take it to SOS.

I will keep you guys posted on how it went on the 27th.

Three Pixel

Country
Country
For some reason when I bring up my order page I am only showing $49,000 and there is no drop-down like you have shown in your screenshot. Not sure if you have already picked up the delivery and not sure if this will go away once we pick up the delivery. Just to be safe I would immediately take a print out of your order break-down and take it to SOS.

It's probably because I'm still waiting for my Edit button to disappear and be contacted at all. Like I said, I'm way behind you guys. But if I can see a breakdown like this I'd hope your IDA would be able to send you something similar for your vehicle.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a Motorcycle dealer in Michigan and how it works is when we sell a bike to an out of state customer we submit all the paper work to Lansing and send the customer copy's of everything and the original Title or MSO. The customer would walk into his local DMV and show the Bill of Sale, Receipt of the paid taxes and drivers license. Then the transfer or new plating can be processed in your home state.

I ordered a Model 3 Performance in Red with Performance Package!

I think I just might have it shipped to the dealership instead of driving all the way to Cleveland since its literally going to be a 5 minute hand over process according to Tesla.

Hope this helps guys!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I don't have a place that shows $35k either.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a Motorcycle dealer in Michigan and how it works is when we sell a bike to an out of state customer we submit all the paper work to Lansing and send the customer copy's of everything and the original Title or MSO. The customer would walk into his local DMV and show the Bill of Sale, Receipt of the paid taxes and drivers license. Then the transfer or new plating can be processed in your home state.

I think I just might have it shipped to the dealership instead of driving all the way to Cleveland since its literally going to be a 5 minute hand over process according to Tesla.

Hope this helps guys!
Not all states register based on base MSRP...

That will be a really nice ride!

Shipped to your Motorcycle dealership? I did not have an option of home delivery and picked up in Columbus.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not all states register based on base MSRP...

That will be a really nice ride!

Shipped to your Motorcycle dealership? I did not have an option of home delivery and picked up in Columbus.
If you live far enough they will generally ask you if you want a delivery. You can also request it at any time, your paying a destination fee regardless. I'm about 3 and a half hours from my Service Center and as much as I'd like to experience the process it just doesn't justify the drive out their and trying to find someone to take me their.

Dale Gardner

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Hope this helps guys!
Hey M3P :D

I'm also getting a Model 3 Performance, Red, without Performance Upgrade Pack. :p

How far along in the process are you? I just received my VIN and I'm working on scheduling home delivery. I'm going to be transferring my registration/plate from my current car. So it sounds like Tesla won't register the car, and when I receive the paperwork I will go to the SoS and transfer the registration/plate. I'm assuming they won't issue a temporary plate if they are shipping the car?