Traded Wheels

jwuwu

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Traded my uberturbines with a fellow member from TMC for his induction. Loving it.

We had to change out the TPMS as well.

9BACB73B-9029-4F89-9E4E-FE0B20235373.jpeg
495A0F81-CBEE-4828-AEA7-CF7E87352002.jpeg
3BD36E0A-C5D8-4611-85FC-97ECB3BA4AB3.jpeg
BC0FF951-4DCB-4D70-BD76-1EEE07CEC445.jpeg
FA3FC45E-077F-470C-BB9F-BDA20843C697.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Our current software doesn't allow "reset sensors"
On the Model 3, we were able to change TPMS before the "reset sensors" button was added. In fact, I've found that the "reset sensors" button doesn't seem to do anything useful.

If you just swap wheels/tires/tpms on the vehicle and then start driving it, the car will give a TPMS failure warning. After a day or two, the car will automatically discover the new TPMS sensors, and pop up a dialog asking you to select your wheel size. I would assume that the Model Y will work in the exact same way. It would have saved you all the effort of breaking down the tires to swap sensors.

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After a day or two, the car will automatically discover the new TPMS sensors, and pop up a dialog asking you to select your wheel size.
In my experience, this happened the same day after a short 1.5 mile drive.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my experience, this happened the same day after a short 1.5 mile drive.
It's supposed to, but it never worked for me until almost 24 hours later. No idea why. But it's a pretty minor annoyance twice a year when I switch my summer & winter wheels, so I just live with it.

jwuwu

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Thanks guys, good to know. I will try this if I get an aftermarket set later down the line.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The TPMS sensors on the Model Y are now bluetooth, that's why you can't direct swap with Model 3

Reactions: 1 person

teacupmiso

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
How much did it cost? Did the shop perform balancing? Did you need to bring your own jack pads to protect the battery?

Thanks a lot

jwuwu

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
How much did it cost? Did the shop perform balancing? Did you need to bring your own jack pads to protect the battery?

Thanks a lot

Sorry for the late reply, haven't check the forum in awhile.

I paid $75, split with the person I swapped with. And yes to balancing. The shop is in Fremont next to the factory and they do a lot of work on Tesla so they had pads. I recommend having a set of pads though.

TLee

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Definitely get a set of lifting pads to keep in the car. I got a screw in my tire and my normal tire shop couldn't fix it because no pads. They usually fix flats for free for their regular customers. (Been one for almost 30 years). The America's Tire Center was a zoo. So I called Tesla and they were able to fix it at the local service center but it cost me $87.