Track mode only with PUO?

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Anyone read Roadshow’s (CNET) review of the performance model 3? At the end of the article it says track mode will only be available to PUO vehicles. Just took delivery of my non-PUO because I didn’t think it was good value but if I had known no track mode I would have opted for it. I don’t recall this being explicitly stated before. Heck I don’t even feel like Tesla has said much about track mode at all; not mentioned at all in the configurator. I think this may lead to some unhappy customers.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/testing-tesla-model-3-performance-new-track-mode/

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've changed "PUP" to "POU" throughout your post.

PUO = Performance Upgrade Option
  • 20” Performance Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
PUP = Premium Upgrade Package. All current 3s have PUP - the standard $35k version will not. This package supposedly adds:
  • Premium heated seating with 12-way, power adjustable front seats
  • Center console with covered storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
  • Premium audio system
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Custom driver profiles
  • LED fog lamps
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
  • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
  • In-car streaming media
  • Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular
I say "supposedly" because it won't surprise me if Tesla decides to include some of this stuff in the base car.

rluciano

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Anyone read Roadshow’s (CNET) review of the performance model 3? At the end of the article it says track mode will only be available to PUO vehicles. Just took delivery of my non-PUO because I didn’t think it was good value but if I had known no track mode I would have opted for it. I don’t recall this being explicitly stated before. Heck I don’t even feel like Tesla has said much about track mode at all; not mentioned at all in the configurator. I think this may lead to some unhappy customers.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/testing-tesla-model-3-performance-new-track-mode/
Yeah and I kind of p. o.’d. I called twice the day the track mode video came out and asked if performance without PUO would get and was assured it would. I would have switched my order then and probably had a VIN by now. SMDH

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The article appears fairly explicit, but remember, reporters don't always know everything. Also, I think if enough people complain, they might enable it for non-PUO. Just as a speculation, if it is, indeed, only PUO, I would think the brakes play heavily into this decision.

Mayhem

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ordered top of the line for this very reason. Any future goodies to come out may make it to lower configs, but are most likely to come to the highest config. Now about that Ludicrous mode.....

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ordered top of the line for this very reason. Any future goodies to come out may make it to lower configs, but are most likely to come to the highest config. Now about that Ludicrous mode.....
That's what pushed me over the edge. I wanted the upgraded brakes, and the little bit of lowering too. I didn't really care about the spoiler and aluminum pedals. But like you, I just didn't want to miss out on these sorts of "upgrades" that may only apply to the top config.

rluciano

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm torn now. Do I backdoor edit my configuration to add the PUO? If I do, does it delay me or accelerate me?

Current config Blue, Performance, Aeros, FSD, White interior.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@Mayhem,

I did the same for EXACTLY the same reason. Same with FSD.....no one wanted to pay for FSD even at the cheaper price....then they announce upgrades and features (with an even higher price after vehicle purchase)...now everyone says “If I knew that I’d have paid for FSD at the cheaper price”.....drives me nuts. No one wants to ‘Pay to Play’ but everyone wants something for nothing.

Ski

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That's what pushed me over the edge. I wanted the upgraded brakes, and the little bit of lowering too. I didn't really care about the spoiler and aluminum pedals. But like you, I just didn't want to miss out on these sorts of "upgrades" that may only apply to the top config.
@garsh,

Agreed. Did the same.

Ski

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
make sure you order the Performance Upgrades Option for the Performance car.

Done!!! Figured this was coming. Same with FSD.....figured the upgraded CPU and updates were coming therefore....Purchased it at the cheaper price.
Didn’t really want to throw the extra money at the car but figured that would “ensure” I got all the “Goodness”!!!:D

Ski

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad I did......

So I’m guessing this part of the “exclusive upgrades to Performance” (upgrade option).

I’m sure Tesla would eventually unwrap more bells and whistles intended for model 3 in the future like SAS, Ludicrous, HSW, remote trunk, black headliner, Key fob etc..,

It’s just gonna upset some owners for a couple days when they do later.

In other words the $64k is like P100D and PUO is P100D ?

samson

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It could happen to FSD as well just like the $2k premium now could go higher but the sheer number of people opting to have FSD option after delivery will surely lower the price. Demand vs supply. ( at least I hope)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Big news on Track Mode today. CNET's article on the Performance Model 3 stated that Track mode will only come with the performance upgrade package, not the base performance car. That's a surprise to me, and a bummer. Many folks are likely thinking of making the base performance car track worthy with aftermarket parts. I have to imagine that there will be significant pushback on Tesla on this point. What do you think?

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Wel
Yeah and I kind of p. o.’d. I called twice the day the track mode video came out and asked if performance without PUO would get and was assured it would. I would have switched my order then and probably had a VIN by now. SMDH
ler
The article appears fairly explicit, but remember, reporters don't always know everything. Also, I think if enough people complain, they might enable it for non-PUO. Just as a speculation, if it is, indeed, only PUO, I would think the brakes play heavily into this decision.
Unfortunately I agree it’s probably the brakes, and maybe some suspension differences if there are any. The brakes were the only thing I was interested in with the PUO and didn’t feel that alone was worth 5k. I don’t care for the bright rims or the other stuff. Oh well, I’m not a track rat and people shouldn’t be drifting on public streets. My car still puts a smile on my face. Even without the PUP the thing drives like an overpowered go cart.