Track Day Guide for Beginner and Experienced Model 3 Owners

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

How many times have you been on a race track?

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • 1-5

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 5-10

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • How dare you question me :) 100+

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters

SD_ENGNR

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
All good points and I was planning to do 18"x9.5" Enkei's since they might be closer to my price range but I don't they they sell 19"x9.5" rims. Any suggestions on good ones? Being track tires, I'm not looking to spend a lot on rims but I also want ones around the same weight as my aeros if possible.

Has anyone had any luck with finding pro car take-offs around the right size? I've always been terrible at tracking down pro-racing tire resellers.

Also, has anyone had any trouble with staying put in their seat or any other issues with the car on track? How does the traction control like cornering at higher speeds?

Enkei makes the TFR, TY-5, and Raijin in 19x9.5 +35. Weights - Raijin: 22.8 lbs TY-5: 22.2 lbs TFR: 21.2 lbs. The TFR can be had for just over $1k. Lighter weight than that requires an 18" or a forged 19".

The seats in the 3 are terrible for keeping you in place. Traction control without track mode has been described as pretty invasive if your inputs aren't smooth.

Reactions: 1 person

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Also, has anyone had any trouble with staying put in their seat or any other issues with the car on track?
Ideally you will need to either change to real (static) lap belts in 3-point style or ind an adapter that allows you to lock the slider at the mid-point. Such as a CG Lock:
https://store.windingroad.com/cg-lock-seat-belt-performance-add-on-p49.aspx

NOTE: I've not tried these yet on the Tesla harnesses but I've had great success in many previous cars.

And KEEP your left foot on the dead pedal the whole time. It will greatly assist in keeping your buttocks in the seal, Your left thing muscle should hurt when you end the session.

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not recently, but I used to have a Lotus Elan that I ran in SCCA C Production and a lot of autocrosses...

SD_ENGNR

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In case it helps, a group on Tesla Motors Club did a group buy of forged wheels from Titan wheels in Taiwan. They are now in stock at:

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/...TGY&Store_Code=EM&Category_Code=TITAN7-MODEL3

The price for a set of the 19 x 9.5 is $2600, which is relatively low for a forged wheel.

I still wish they'd do their other style in that size, but for that size and style, the RS-1 from Speedwell is a better buy at $1995.
IMG_20190729_151204_161.jpg

EchoCharlie3189

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm thinking more around the $300 range for wheels since they are just track wheels to be abused...

But I might tackle the brake cooling issue first, followed by the seat belt lock, then get my track tires/wheels when I get closer to a track weekend. Then I just need the VSC disable/party box mod and I think I will be happy! At least until I get hooked and want more mods...

EchoCharlie3189

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can we make the group therapy sessions Saturday AND Sunday? Maybe at a shared location in the area we can all meet at? Maybe one with a private road loop with no speed limits? :D

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yesterday I spent the day at the Toronto Motorsports Park with Sasha and Jesse from @MountainPass and I had a LOT of fun! I asked Sasha if we could meet there so he could show me the ropes for my first time so I could learn from a pro and he was very gracious and he knows his stuff.
We talked about organizing a track day for Toronto peeps later this summer, so hopefully we can do that.

If you ever get a chance, get a ride with Sasha. It's really fun.

PS. His products make a great car, an EXCELLENT and fun car on the track. Owning a Performance Model 3 I can tell you his brakes are even better than the P3Ds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

MountainPass

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Sponsor Vendor
TOO Advertiser
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yesterday I spent the day at the Toronto Motorsports Park with Sasha and Jesse from @MountainPass and I had a LOT of fun! I asked Sasha if we could meet there so he could show me the ropes for my first time so I could learn from a pro and he was very gracious and he knows his stuff.
We talked about organizing a track day for Toronto peeps later this summer, so hopefully we can do that.

PS. His products make a great car, an EXCELLENT and fun car on the track. Owning a Performance Model 3 I can tell you his brakes are even better than the P3Ds.

You did great Trev, thanks for coming for a rip!

Reactions: 3 people

mpeace

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No

I have been to Mosport many times, but not in an EV. I have a Model 3 performance on order and would like to take it there. With the nearest supercharger 30 minutes away, how did the battery hold up during the track day.

Reactions: JeffC

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have been to Mosport many times, but not in an EV. I have a Model 3 performance on order and would like to take it there. With the nearest supercharger 30 minutes away, how did the battery hold up during the track day.
It hold ups well but power sags when you get lower than 50%. Best to plug it in when you come off the track. Even level 2 helps

EchoCharlie3189

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@MountainPass or anyone else who has installed their oil cooler, where did you get the replacement oil for the cooler? ATF-9 listed in the install guide (and owner's manual) is only available from NAPA in cases of 12 special order in my area...

I found a second manufacturer on Amazon too but have not heard of either brands (Pentosin or Ravenol) so I don't know which is trustworthy. A thread over on TMC had someone mention they are using Royal Purple Max ATF but no follow up on how long they have used it or if they ever had issues. I can find the Royal purple much more easily.

Planning to track my car in August so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does with a few mods! I'm finishing off my street tires though so I don't expect too much stress on the car

EchoCharlie3189

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
'First track event with the SR+' review!

20210814_075123 (Large).jpg

This past weekend I trekked up to VIR for an HPDE event and I have to say, the car is a blast on track! Very usable torque and handling characteristics out of the box (with some mods required for any amount of hard driving. This weekend also saw 100 degree temps on Saturday and high 80's on Sunday so if things were going to overheat, they would have. Unfortunately supply chain issues stopped me from having high-temp brake pads delivered in-time, so I had to take it easy on the braking zones. I was able to push it pretty hard otherwise!

Mods done in preparation for the event:
  • Type 200 ATE brake fluid swap
  • UP stainless brake lines
  • MPP brake master brace
  • MPP drive unit cooler
  • MPP Cooling Party Controller
  • MPP Party Box Controller

Shout out to @MountainPass for an excellent set of controllers! Everything ran flawlessly and I had zero issues with coolant temps (at least no warnings popped up) and I was able to get plenty sideways with no intrusive nannies stepping in. I could definitely feel the e-diff keeping traction on turn-out though!

Some items to keep in mind for anyone looking to take their 3 to the track are:
  • The stock brake dust shields need to be removed. They severely limit airflow to the rotors and I got a high brake temp warning within two laps. They are fairly straight forward to remove, though the bolt on the bottom of the shield is a pain to get to and the rear shields need to be cut to pull off (unless you remove the hub and half-shaft nut). Very easy to re-mount and bend the cut section back into place. If you use high-temp brake pads (highly suggested) then this should be an easy item to do when you swap the pads prior to the event.
  • The stock tires did surprisingly well (or my expectations were low) and I went into the track weekend with maybe a 1/4-3/8" of tread. The tires definitely got greasy and less grippy by the second day but honestly, I don't know if I lost much in tread depth. I will need new tires soon either way :) I couldn't keep up with cars on r-comps, but that isn't surprising.
  • My SR+ consistently used ~46% SOC per 20 minute session with the cooling party controller and oil cooler running. On Saturday, that usually means you can do every session (24% recharge in 2 hours or so) since you can park it that night and charge back up. Sunday you will miss the last 1-2 sessions to be able to drive home. Larger battery packs seem to use about 20% per session, so it seems easier to keep on track than my model.
  • I purchased the UP 4-point harness but it didn't arrive in time for the event. I did have to do some bracing against the door so I think the harness will help, but it wasn't unbearable. If you are new to track events then I would skip the harness.
  • Make sure you bring zip ties because the front tow hook cover uses a zip tie to hold the 9v jumper wire. That wire will need to be secured to the tow hook while racing (I cut the bumper cover off and stored it for the weekend).
  • I was aware of the lower control arm bushing failing/getting loose under heavy cornering so I kept an eye on it (and took before/after pictures) but be aware it could fail. I already purchased MPP's solid LCABs but didn't have time to swap them in before this event. I think the rubber bushing had a crack in it that grew during the event, so I'm glad I ordered the solid ones.
  • This one might seem obvious but double check that the track you are going to has RV outlets and specifically the 50 amp ones that match your mobile connector plug (NEMA 14-50). This event wouldn't have been possible without that available. Anyone want to start a petition for Tesla to place SC's at regional tracks?!
Moving forward, I can definitely see why people want stiffer suspension since the track event really showed how soft the stock shocks/springs are! Hopefully high temp brake pads can solve my brake over-heating issue but if not, I might have to find some kind of cooling duct setup. R comps or lower treadwear tires will definitely get added for the next event too. With those two (maybe three) items, this thing will be a beast!

P.S. Has anyone who tracks their car seen the "High Brake Temperature" warning pop up with competition pads? I remember reading somewhere the sensor is based on differential wheel speed sensors and not an actual thermocouple. Just curious if the higher temp pads will still be throwing temp warnings at me. I appreciated the car telling me though, since every-time it popped up, the cooked brake pad smell followed closely and the brakes would get less effective if I didn't back off.