Track charging, mileage, cost

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just got a new black SR+ and love it! Can anyone suggest an app or site to track charging, mileage, cost, etc.? Right now we just use some spreadsheet, but it seems to be a bit clunky. Thanks.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Best way to do it? Just don't

You are a new owner and range anxiety, we've all been there. Did you worry about every ounce if gas that you used? Then don't worry about the electricity, except that electrons are cheaper than gas.

You should easily be able to hit posted range by running at about 240 watt/hour. That means staying at less than 70 mph and keeping the 18 inch aero covers on. Speed up or take the covers off, and it becomes harder to hit the numbers.
If you live in areas that get cold, expect 30% degradation in the cold. It's just the way batteries act.

Don't worry about how you charge the battery, do what works for you. Every few months you may want to charge to 100% to balance the batteries. But that's about it. Of course, charging at home or work is the best experience. Superchargers aren't bad, but they represent a terrible experience being your only charging source.

As the song says, "Don't worry, Be Happy"

Drive the cars, take some longer trips to get over battery anxiety. Have Fun

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just got a new black SR+ and love it! Can anyone suggest an app or site to track charging, mileage, cost, etc.? Right now we just use some spreadsheet, but it seems to be a bit clunky. Thanks.
i use Teslafi and can not imagine going without it now.
here's a couple screenshots of what I pay attention to in it, some multiple times a day...

you can try it out for 2 weeks (or a month with another's link) before you commit to signing up, but based on what you mentioned, I'd bet it'll be what you are looking for :)

epmenard

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you're trying to get an average cost and not an exact to-the-penny calculation, and do not wish to invest in 3rd party subscriptions, this is how I do it and my suggestion to you:

Using the trip meter in the cards panel, you can scroll through a list of trip measurements (last drive, last charge, trip A, trip B). I renamed trip B to "All Time" and since it's never been reset, it shows the exact mileage and energy consumed since inception. By multiplying distance and energy consumption (mi * Wh/mi) you can derive the total Watts x hours. Multiply that by your local electricity rate ($/Wh) and you'll get your total charging cost.

Now if you want periodical measurements, take a reading every first of the month, week or day and you'll get your delta energy consumption between periods, or use the Trip A meter, rename it to Monthly or whichever period of interest and reset it after every reading.

Obviously, the less you charge at superchargers or destination chargers, the more accurate this technique becomes. Else, you can always take a reading before charging elsewhere to get the latest delta, add the cost of destination charging to your spreadsheet or notebook, and finally reset the trip meter after charging

1555448441253-png.24891

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Best way to do it? Just don't

You are a new owner and range anxiety, we've all been there. Did you worry about every ounce if gas that you used? Then don't worry about the electricity, except that electrons are cheaper than gas.

Drive the cars, take some longer trips to get over battery anxiety. Have Fun
That's one way to look at it, but not the only way.

i use Teslafi and can not imagine going without it now.
here's a couple screenshots of what I pay attention to in it, some multiple times a day...
Yup. This is the perfect service for data nerds like myself. It's awesome. Very easy to see how much electricity I'm using, how efficient I've been driving, etc. For me, I like having the data displayed to play around with and better understand how I drive. I find myself trying to beat my "score" of how few % points I can use getting to work every day. Does that mean I drive like a grandma? Nope. Just means that I try to minimize what I use by dialing the speed down a hair, etc. Nothing that makes me late or causes any anxiety. I find it enjoyable and fun.

To me, part of the joy of ownership of an EV is the increased knowledge of what the car is doing and how to make it perform better. Way easier than with an ICE car.

GeoJohn23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Speaking of TeslaFi and controls — I recently discovered that there’s a new feature in TeslaFi that you can activate that will automatically turn on Sentry mode after N minutes of being parked at an un-tagged location (also an option to do it at tagged locations too if you want - but, for example, I don’t need Sentry Mode on in my garage, so I tagged that location and it will therefore not automatically activate Sentry Mode if I park in my garage). TeslaFi also sends an email and/or text message that Sentry Mode will be activated in N minutes (you define what N is, the default is 5 min), and you can simply click on the message to say “No, please don’t this time” to cancel that activation (for example you’ve parked, but left someone in the car). {Note, the feature to get this activation message by txt does require installing and a 1-time nominal payment (I forget exactly how much but I think it was <$5) for another app}. This alone, for me, is worth getting TeslaFi — not to mention all the data stats it provides on drives, energy used, charges done, battery health,.... I hear other folks use the TeslaFi capabilities to do things like auto preheat or precool the car starting at a certain time of day. So yes, look into it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my suggestion.

You probably won't even notice the difference on your home power bill, mine's $3-$6/mo change.. If you can find free public charging, use it.

Sure you'll have to pay for Supercharging, but don't sweat it. Still way cheaper than gas. My "driving" costs for Tesla are 1.8 cents per mile, way cheaper than my ICE'd BMW.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Teslafi. . . worth every penny. The Stats app on iOS is good, but can't compete with the detail available on Teslafi.
Also a great way to track upcoming s/w releases.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Using the trip meter in the cards panel, you can scroll through a list of trip measurements (last drive, last charge, trip A, trip B). I renamed trip B to "All Time" and since it's never been reset, it shows the exact mileage and energy consumed since inception. By multiplying distance and energy consumption (mi * Wh/mi) you can derive the total Watts x hours. Multiply that by your local electricity rate ($/Wh) and you'll get your total charging cost.

View attachment 24891
If you want to be really accurate about cost of charging at home, you need to add another ~10%-20% (ballpark) on top of this result because not all the electricity used to charge the car goes to the battery. There will be losses along the way in the wiring, connector, charger, etc... 120V vs 240V charging will be what mostly determines the 10%-20%, 240V being closer to 10% while 120V is closer to 20%

Then on top of the 10%-20%, if you're in a really cold climate, you have to factor in the electricity used to condition the battery when charging, which is even more electricity that doesn't actually go into the battery.