Tow Hitch

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Andrew M

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have installed it and it works well. It looks me about 4 hours of which 2.5 hours was searching for the right bolts. I hear that issue has been resolved.

View attachment 10949
I purchase the same hitch. I have the AWD Performance. Do you have any recommendations where I may be able to get this installed. Any concerns about doing the damage or voiding the warranty? Lastly, is there somewhere you recommend that I purchase the bolts?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchase the same hitch. I have the AWD Performance. Do you have any recommendations where I may be able to get this installed. Any concerns about doing the damage or voiding the warranty? Lastly, is there somewhere you recommend that I purchase the bolts?
It really was not too hard to install. So I would do it If you are handy. Officially we ar not supposed to tow so it could be a question but a Tesla Ranger saw it and said I should be fine. As for the bolts hopefully they corrected the issue but if not I was able to get some at Advanced Auto.

Zippy_EV

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
There are several videos out now that show the installation, and it is definitely doable DIY for the more adventurous. Around here they are also sold by @EVTuning
I don't plan on getting one myself just to carry a bike a few times a year but I keep the option open
I liked this video of the Ecohitch install - it did a better job than other's I've seen of showing the cutting on the hole (certainly the most nerve-wracking part for everyone.)

Jon1974

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have installed it and it works well. It looks me about 4 hours of which 2.5 hours was searching for the right bolts. I hear that issue has been resolved.

View attachment 10949
Hi There

I am looking at getting this same hitch. To confirm, is your car the M3 Performance? Since it sits a bit lower than a regular M3, have you had any issues with the hitch hitting the road as you go up hills?

Jon1974

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone with a Torklift EcoHitch attached to a M3 Performance? I am looking to get one for a Thule Aluminium bike rack. Just want to know if the M3 Performance is high enough off the road for the hitch to clear the ground up hills etc. Anyone had any issues?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi There

I am looking at getting this same hitch. To confirm, is your car the M3 Performance? Since it sits a bit lower than a regular M3, have you had any issues with the hitch hitting the road as you go up hills?
I have the standard rear wheel drive. And no problem with scrapes.

h0mersimps0n

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
question - these hitches look to be about 53lbs - this is essentially like driving around with an extra kid in the car all the time right?

Has anyone weighted the parts that come off the car in the installation process?

How many kw/mi will the weight of having a hitch add (or lost range)?

Just trying to figure out if the cost/benefit ratio is there (i.e. will I use it enough to be glad I lost the range.

h0mersimps0n

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
has anyone calculated what these hitches, when not used, cost you in Wh/mi on a daily basis?

I have to decide whether to put a hitch on my Golf R (which I don't want to do) and my new M3P

Looks like most of these hitches are about 50lbs - that's like having an extra passenger/kid in the car all the time right?

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
has anyone calculated what these hitches, when not used, cost you in Wh/mi on a daily basis?

I have to decide whether to put a hitch on my Golf R (which I don't want to do) and my new M3P

Looks like most of these hitches are about 50lbs - that's like having an extra passenger/kid in the car all the time right?
I had an ecohitch for the tesla model s and the way that it is installed and you can remove the hich from the housing when not in use there is little hit on the w/miles when not in use, when using it that is when you'd see a hit on the w/miles depending on what you're carrying

h0mersimps0n

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know what the net weight gain of the car is with the hitch installed?

I'm hoping the consensus is that on a daily basis just having the hitch installed doesn't cost real Wh/mi.

I completely understand that having a bike or two on the back will create a severe hit on Wh/mi.

There's no way I'm willing to take a measurable hit on Wh/mi on a daily basis to have a hitch I use maybe monthly. I'll just put a hitch on the Golf R

EV8TOR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some stats from our 2000 mile road trip around the Four Corners. 264 Wh/mile overall. I found that cruising averaging 70 mph the Wh/M skyrocketed at 310 (round trip 90 miles all interstate. For the rest of the trip we were on a lot of 2 lane roads and we were driving slower. Because we went to places far away from any charging (Canyon de Chelly), we kept the speed lower to stretch the range. So with AWD and aero wheels, it is similar to having only the short range battery of about 220 miles range at highway speeds. I used evtripping.com for pretrip planning with a 130% power factor, that seemed to be accurate enough. 2 bikes on a Küat rack. The rack sits pretty low to the ground so I’m going to get a riser attachment to avoid scrapes.

Attachments

Zippy_EV

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know what the net weight gain of the car is with the hitch installed?

I'm hoping the consensus is that on a daily basis just having the hitch installed doesn't cost real Wh/mi.

I completely understand that having a bike or two on the back will create a severe hit on Wh/mi.

There's no way I'm willing to take a measurable hit on Wh/mi on a daily basis to have a hitch I use maybe monthly. I'll just put a hitch on the Golf R
If the hitch weighs 50 lbs (it's pretty close to this) on a 4000 lb car - that's adding 1.25 percent to the weight. Weight only matters for acceleration and deceleration on the flat. 1 percent more weight will certainly not be noticeable over a normal style non-mountain drive. The only thing that will matter is the loss in aero efficiency and that won't be noticeable until you have a rack and bikes on there.

GTV6

Country
Country
Anyone more recently installed this hitch? Reputable installer reports that the bumper attachment studs appear to have been modified by Tesla so that this hitch now requires some expertise to install it.

EV8TOR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone more recently installed this hitch? Reputable installer reports that the bumper attachment studs appear to have been modified by Tesla so that this hitch now requires some expertise to install it.
That is one of the "problems" with Tesla, they don't have any model year cutovers, and modify designs, materials, etc. constantly. So this could be, I would contact torklift and see if they are aware of this issue, if it is real, they will probably be looking for a new volunteer to install a hitch on the modified bumper assembly.

stiber

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed it on my late September delivered car (VIN over 104K). Went on exactly as in instructions, except that the bumper/under-body cover had two fewer bolts than the instructions indicated. It was a real ***** to get it clipped back into place.

RolfS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone install a Stealth Hitch? What do you think of it. It looks like a nice design.

https://stealthhitches.com/search?type=product&q=model+3

I like the fact that you can remove the receiver using a key.

I don't like that your rear sensors don't know when a bike is attached. That is the difference between a factory version (which does not exist) and aftermarket. In the model X for instance there is a tow mode software switch that lets the car know when it is towing. It probably disables the rear sensors and does other adjustments.

I only want to use it as a bike rack. I don't care to tow anything, I have a Toyota Sequoia for that.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't enable the tow mode on my Model X, that only activates the electrical connection. Otherwise the car doesn't care if bike racks are on the back. The only issue is when you put the car into reverse, the sensors go nuts but you learn to ignore the blaring

Vendacious

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone install a Stealth Hitch? What do you think of it. It looks like a nice design.

https://stealthhitches.com/search?type=product&q=model+3

I like the fact that you can remove the receiver using a key.

I don't like that your rear sensors don't know when a bike is attached. That is the difference between a factory version (which does not exist) and aftermarket. In the model X for instance there is a tow mode software switch that lets the car know when it is towing. It probably disables the rear sensors and does other adjustments.

I only want to use it as a bike rack. I don't care to tow anything, I have a Toyota Sequoia for that.
I looked at the installation instructions and it doesn’t look like there are any plastic washers to separate the hitch parts from the car’s frame. I would worry about galvanic corrosion with that hitch.