Tow Hitch

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why is putting it into the trunk with the seats folded down not an acceptable solution? I've been doing that with my bikes for the last 2 years (since I started riding).

I would say it's not for everyone
Yeah, sorry I should have said not acceptable for me. I have kids, so if I have to put the bike inside the car I can't pick them up after work.

I can store my bike in my office during the day, so I don't have to leave it sitting in or on the car the whole day.

And no matter how careful you are, you will one day get dirty chain lube somehow on the inside of your $50K car. (Not to mention the post-ride mud from a mt bike as mentioned by @Niloch)

Also, I'll just say that I know at least one person that thought their bike was "locked safe in the car", only to come out and find a smashed back window and no bike.. (that is, there is no good solution for leaving your bike out in a parking lot all day.)

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would expect that if a tow option is ever offered, it will be coupled with air suspension to keep the car level under load.
This is my expectation also. Tow Hitch only with AWD and SAS. Or not at all.
Means that TSLA stock need to do really well, for me to be able to afford it.

Country
Country
This is my expectation also. Tow Hitch only with AWD and SAS. Or not at all.
Means that TSLA stock need to do really well, for me to be able to afford it.
I hope not. I really don't want to spend $60,000+. I just want to be able to tow a utility trailer so that I can get away without owning a pickup truck for runs to Lowe's / Home Depot / Menards.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hope not, but expect you need to. Or wait for Model Y... at the same price.
Console yourselves, we pay 20 % more than you because of taxes and currency difference.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
While I still prefer/would like the hitch - this video by Eletrek is promising:

For longer trips where I want to take the bike + family (I have one child) I should be able to get away for the weekend without needing a hitch. The savings on range by having the bike inside vs. outside would probably prompt me to do this regardless if I had a hitch or not.

The hitch is still definitely preferred for regular weekend rides with friends or after work rides over the racks.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I still prefer/would like the hitch - this video by Eletrek is promising:

For longer trips where I want to take the bike + family (I have one child) I should be able to get away for the weekend without needing a hitch.
Dang, I messed up and had 2 kids :(

My only hope is that someone can work with Torklift and get an aftermarket hitch for the vehicle. Hope Tesla didn't make it impossible by design.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I had a hunt around, obviously towing is more important for you guys.
Hopefully more helpful than a vague tweet from Elon, I found this in the current manual which has this to say about a tow hitch...
Towing a Trailer
Warning:
Do not use Model 3 for towing purposes. Model 3 does not currently support towing. Towing can cause damage and increase the risk of a collision.
Caution: Using Model 3 for towing before Tesla-approved towing components and accessories are available may void the warranty.

Two important bits I get from that are.
1 - does not currently support towing - hopefully implying that it will in the future
2 - trying to tow before Tesla come up with an official way of doing it could void your warranty

I can understand why. Looking at the trunk/boot section of the bodywork, it doesn't look well suited to supporting a hitch and trailer.

It then goes on to cover the roof rack in a similar manner.

Anyway, hope that helps.....

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for being helpful.
This is the atmosphere why I got addicted to this forum a year ago. Why I always preferred this forum over TMC. We may have different opinions and needs, but together we try to find our way into the wondrous world of Tesla and Model 3.
Let us please keep respecting our differences here.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... and may make the rear sensors go nuts but for those that absolutely must have a hitch...
What's your source for saying it may make the rear sensors go nuts? Just speculation or have you read/heard evidence of this happening on S's?

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's your source for saying it may make the rear sensors go nuts? Just speculation or have you read/heard evidence of this happening on S's?
I guess if you have a bike mounted on the back the rear sensors would probably note that, and since Tesla doesn't seem to want their owners to carry bikes there is likely not a way to disable rear sensors like on other vehicles.

I'm very interested in getting the hitch, because I actually want to transport my bike(s) to and from work on a weekly basis, and doing so inside the vehicle is not only inconvenient (not to mention dirty), but also impossible when you also have to pick up kids. However, at this point I think I might wait a few months to get reports from others about the pitfalls of doing so. I may also see if a third party will build a roof rack that Tesla decided not to offer, though I much prefer my hitch rack.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah... Yes with bikes or something back there... sensors definitely will notice =]. I took it to mean the install itself could but the sensors which didn't make sense.

I've been waiting for this hitch since I got my 3 a month ago and now that it's here I'm hesitating. I installed an Ecohitch on my Subaru Outback, and it was pretty simple, but this one is more daunting for some reason. I need to haul bikes and a paramotor around, so I'll probably give it a couple weeks until I see more reviews of the install and then I'll make the decision.

To see this hitch installed on an S... see here:
and here:

Note that it requires cutting a large hole in the bottom of the rear bumper.

DR61

Country
Country
I like it! Definitely need a recover for my bike rack, I am a little concerned about voiding the warranty.
Any case of this actually happening with Model S with a hitch-mounted rack added? I don't think Tesla can 'void' a warranty other than on a specific part of the car that actually fails due to the modification.