Tow Hitch

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KennethK

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
You also need this DIY toolkit to fix the hole.
Compressor can't fix a flat :D
Also it's hard to get to 12V terminals on Tesla. Viair 88p comes with alligator clips AFAIK.

Ah, thanks @arnis, I need to make a converter for the Viair if the jumper ports are not easily accessible as on the model S.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
In Europe, no car is allowed to tow more than 750kg (trailer without brakes) and usually no more than the the weight of the car itself with brakes.
Mostly people tow regular stuff like sofa or fridge. Huge boats and horses are rare. And not appropriate for small passenger vehicle anyway.

Most likely Class 2 towing hitch (US rating). 3500lbs=1580kg
As we know Tesla is trying to be around BMW 3-series competition, it shall tow around the same. 1500-1800kg (depending on engine variant). 1500kg for low power engines, 1800kg for mid power. And 1800 for high performance models as it is not just about acceleration.
EU has 3500kg limit for the whole train. I'm pretty convinced that Tesla is aiming at fulfilling that 3500kg train limit.
It's cheap. Less legal hassle. Less money wasted on improved friction brake requirements (regen is not taken into account for this calculation). And very very few drivers are allowed to tow any more.

Are there license limitations in US as well?
M3 power is 258HP (192kW).

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
So back to the original thread topic, Elon has made choices that show he sometimes prefers "Form over Function". One example is the lack of the XM bump or fin for better satellite reception. Tow hitches are another example. To minimize cutouts in the bumper, there is a complicated 90 degree tow hitch attachment that results in a very low attachment point. For the MX, it's still class III rated for 5000 pounds with the 20" tires or 3500 pounds for 22" tires. The air suspension allows me to adjust vehicle height to offset some of the low height of the receiver but I need to use a tow hitch that has at least a 4" rise.

I expect the M3 to have a similar attachment in the secret black box seen in the frunk pictures but likely it will be Class I or II due to the lighter vehicle weight. Also, with no air suspension, caution will have to be used because ground clearance from the receiver will be VERY LOW.

This weekend, I had to move my boat onto the grass so that my driveway could get resurfaced.
20170808_134216-jpg.2802
20170808_131424-jpg.2803
20170808_131343-jpg.2804

M3 power is 258HP (192kW).
That is Model 3-75 rear driveunit power rating? If so, it is actually peak power rating. It is not sustainable.
Towing is more demanding. Especially on uphill. And somewhat on downhill as well.

Brokedoc, US has some special requirement for tow hitches? It seems weird to have two removable pieces.
BMW uses exactly the same receiver as Tesla (roundish slot) and the hitch itself is way high above.
Example from 3-series:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
That is Model 3-75 rear driveunit power rating? If so, it is actually peak power rating. It is not sustainable.
Towing is more demanding. Especially on uphill. And somewhat on downhill as well.

Brokedoc, US has some special requirement for tow hitches? It seems weird to have two removable pieces.
BMW uses exactly the same receiver as Tesla (roundish slot) and the hitch itself is way high above.
Example from 3-series:
The vehicle mount looks similar to the MX mount but the 90 degree adapter has a Class III receiver opening. Many people here use external bike mounts or other non-trailer attachments so this fixed ball mount would not give us as much flexibility.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation

Example from 3-series:

I wanted to point out that your numbers were wrong. Please refrain from doubling down.
Torque, which is what matters, is constant at 317lb-ft.

Torque is needed to get moving, including uphill, but power is needed to move forward.
There is no problem with torque nor peak power.

Problem is with nominal drivetrain power. Nominal means "it can continue for long period" - like 30 minutes.
It is somewhere between 100-150kW.

Elon has tweeted earlier that M3 will come with a tow option. At the handover event in July a Norwegian journalist asked a Tesla representative about this, and he answered: No plans of such. Lots of reservation holders, myself included, was disappointed to hear this. We are still hoping that towing capacity will be available later on, and that the Tesla rep gave the answer he did due to lack of info on this issue.

I know for a fact that this is crucial to some reservation holders as to weather they will hold on to their reservation or not.
Does anyone have new info on t his topic?

Lars

Francais

Country
Country
I guess when the M3 options are open to none employee reservations, we may then see the tow hitch option.

Also the towing capacity should be available then, for both std and long range models, the long range may have a higher braked towing capacity spec, although for here in the UK the none braked towing capacity should be the same for both models, I am hoping 750kg which is the max for UK.

Only a month or so, before we get to find out the detail, I am thinking.

Gary Macdonald

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, not a tow hitch, but I did download and read the owner's manual a couple of days ago. (Yeah, I know - I'm a boring person) There was mention of roof racks coming. I might be able use that for my bike or some of the lighter stuff I have to tote around. Definitely something that I would be interested in even though it would wreak havoc on aerodynamics and travel distance.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, not a tow hitch, but I did download and read the owner's manual a couple of days ago. (Yeah, I know - I'm a boring person) There was mention of roof racks coming. I might be able use that for my bike or some of the lighter stuff I have to tote around. Definitely something that I would be interested in even though it would wreak havoc on aerodynamics and travel distance.
Ya, that won't work for me, I have 2 ebikes (each 50 pounds) so I definitely need a receiver hitch and bike rack. I suspect with the rapidly increasing popularity of ebikes this will become more common

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any Model 3 owners in Kent WA area please get in touch with Torkliftcentral.com , makers of "The Law" no-drill licence plate bracket and eco-hitch for fitment. They will compensate for your time. Thanks!

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Once you use a hitch rack for bikes it is difficult to go back to a roof rack. And putting a bike in the back with seats folded down is just not an acceptable solution (maybe hopefully just for the short term)

However, a roof rack *and* a hitch would be nice when carrying bikes for the whole family or teammates heading to a race...

Fredbob711

Country
Country
Once you use a hitch rack for bikes it is difficult to go back to a roof rack. And putting a bike in the back with seats folded down is just not an acceptable solution (maybe hopefully just for the short term)

However, a roof rack *and* a hitch would be nice when carrying bikes for the whole family or teammates heading to a race...
Why is putting it into the trunk with the seats folded down not an acceptable solution? I've been doing that with my bikes for the last 2 years (since I started riding).

I would say it's not for everyone, I rarely have anyone riding in my car, let alone the back seat. But it's convenient in that there are some group rides I go to straight from work. It's peace of mind for me that my bike is locked in my car instead of just hanging out in the open on a rack for 9+ hours while I'm working.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Why is putting it into the trunk with the seats folded down not an acceptable solution?
It might be ok for a clean road bike but a real pain for a dirty mountain bike.

One of the first things I did on my e-Golf was put a hitch on it. It's super convenient to cart my bike to trails after work. Often times too I'll be looking to take my bike with me on trips where the backseat will have my family and luggage in the trunk.

I just wish we had some insight on if/when this will be available as it would help me to determine whether to risk waiting on AWD vs current LD first offerings.

It will be tough going back to a rack after using a hitch the last two years. Glad I still kept it though.