Touch up paint

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yes, looks almost identical to Dr Colorchip, except maybe Tesla supplies the base coat paint?

I'm getting multi coat red, Dr Colorchip has a red version but since it is one layer, it may not be perfect. I'll wait as long as I can before ordering in case Tesla makes MCR available.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow! What in the heck! How did all that get into the shipping box?!
The repair kit was in a Ziploc bag. Inside the Ziploc bag was the material I assume is desiccant.

So, the shipping box was clean, with just the normal brown paper for packing material.

Seeing that normal desiccant packs always say "do not eat", I sure hope someone doesn't think that stuff is edible.

I'll be calling Tesla support and enquiring what the material is (hopefully, it doesn't have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)).

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The repair kit was in a Ziploc bag. Inside the Ziploc bag was the material I assume is desiccant.

So, the shipping box was clean, with just the normal brown paper for packing material.

Seeing that normal desiccant packs always say "do not eat", I sure hope someone doesn't think that stuff is edible.

I'll be calling Tesla support and enquiring what the material is (hopefully, it doesn't have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)).
That's pretty interesting...typically, I see few small white bags that you mentioned...maybe this stuff is biodegradable or something greener.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe it's an absorbent material probably meant to absorb the liquid in case of breakage. It's often used in house plants to hold moisture. Not harmful.
That's very likely.

It's shiny, and I recall seeing it in planting soil.

But I'm sure you can understand why it freaked me out!

Rocco Speranza

Country
Country
Anyone know how long this paint will last once open? I already got a tiny paint chip on the hood and would like to keep up with the repairs, but will the paint last over a year or 2?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So wife hit a curb second day....yeah. Could have been worse and glad it wasn't me. Not worth claiming on Insur and def not worth paying $1k from Tesla preferred auto body quote. Need a hefty amount of touch up paint. Any one use the Tesla one? How much paint is in it? Little go a long way? Any help, info or suggested brands would be helpful. First scratch out of the way at least....

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes. I have already used it, and it didn't take a lot of paint to cover a 1" x 4" scuff mark. I may have used 5 drops of paint to cover it.

Triangles

Country
Country
$55 for a touch up kit seems like a rip off as you can buy a whole spray can at the local autopart store for about $5. Has anyone found a less expensive aftermarket solution. Sadly after 1k miles I have several paint chips already.

A quick google search turned up http://quiktouch.com/eng/ for about $15 shipped for a small touch up bottle.

Well I guess googling your paint code turns up many more options....

Last edited: