Touch-less Car Wash

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Ok, so lets get real about washing the Model 3. I have been hand washing my car since I got it but winter is fast approaching and for those that live in snowy cold parts of the country, hand washing becomes nearly impossible in winter. I figured I'd run the car through the touchless car wash I have always used. Went through and came out looking great (honestly almost as good as if I did the hand wash). About an hour after the wash I lowered the drivers window and noticed water droplets spread across the window as it came back up. I checked all the other windows and same thing.

Do you guys think water is getting inside to door? Or is it just the weather stripping is wet and transferring water to the window as it goes up? My plan is to go back to hand washing until it become impossible due to the cold. I need a plan for the winter. Can't let all that salt sit on the car. I'm going to end up visiting the car wash more then once a week in the winter and don't want to cause issues if water is getting inside the doors.

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, so lets get real about washing the Model 3. I have been hand washing my car since I got it but winter is fast approaching and for those that live in snowy cold parts of the country, hand washing becomes nearly impossible in winter. I figured I'd run the car through the touchless car wash I have always used. Went through and came out looking great (honestly almost as good as if I did the hand wash). About an hour after the wash I lowered the drivers window and noticed water droplets spread across the window as it came back up. I checked all the other windows and same thing.

Do you guys think water is getting inside to door? Or is it just the weather stripping is wet and transferring water to the window as it goes up? My plan is to go back to hand washing until it become impossible due to the cold. I need a plan for the winter. Can't let all that salt sit on the car. I'm going to end up visiting the car wash more then once a week in the winter and don't want to cause issues if water is getting inside the doors.
@ER1C8 Had my first experience with my M3 at a touchless car wash today. I was one of those with the pressure washer wands where everything comes out of the wand: soap, water, wax, vodka...well, okay...vodka doesn't come out, but I wish it would.

Anyway, after I was done, the car was covered in water spots. It was horrendous. Also, when I opened the rear door behind the driver, some water leaked onto the ground. I'm not sure from whence it came, but I am now leery about using a touchless car wash, as well.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@ER1C8 Had my first experience with my M3 at a touchless car wash today. I was one of those with the pressure washer wands where everything comes out of the wand: soap, water, wax, vodka...well, okay...vodka doesn't come out, but I wish it would.

Anyway, after I was done, the car was covered in water spots. It was horrendous. Also, when I opened the rear door behind the driver, some water leaked onto the ground. I'm not sure from whence it came, but I am now leery about using a touchless car wash, as well.
I feel the same way. I'd rather not but don't have much of a chose once the temps go below freezing.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm on my third tesla and I've never had any issues with these touchless washes. if you're not happy with the one you're using try using another before giving up on the concept.
Thanks Kort. I have been using this one for years and never had a problem. I really feel like the water was just from the weather stripping being wet. I'll try another to see if I get the same water droplets.

rickster

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm not sure I've ever seen an automated "touchless" car wash where the "spot free rinse" actually lived up to its name. But I'd rather have water spots (easy to clean at a proper full service hand wash place later) than let a bird bomb sit around.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Water spots are a pain to remove, worse if the water is hard due to the minerals. One of the reasons why I hate these touchless washes.

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Water spots are a pain to remove, worse if the water is hard due to the minerals. One of the reasons why I hate these touchless washes.
@Gavyne I agree. It took me days of rewashing and rewaxing before those darn water spots from the touchless wash came off. I think I'd rather just wash the blue beauty myself.

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don;t have any photos but is anybody having issues with soap/water on the door sills of the car after going through a touchless car wash? I notice them especially on the rear doors. I opened it for the first time in a while and saw a bunch of it there all dried up. I don't know how it's getting through and I'm wondering how best to clean that now and prevent it again in the future.

Thanks for any feedback and experiences!

Doug Joubert

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don;t have any photos but is anybody having issues with soap/water on the door sills of the car after going through a touchless car wash? I notice them especially on the rear doors. I opened it for the first time in a while and saw a bunch of it there all dried up. I don't know how it's getting through and I'm wondering how best to clean that now and prevent it again in the future.

Thanks for any feedback and experiences!
@cain04 I haven't noticed that the one time I did a touchless. I may have been too busy griping about the water spots. :)

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@cain04 I haven't noticed that the one time I did a touchless. I may have been too busy griping about the water spots. :)
hahaha! I hear ya! If you remember then next time you go, I'd like to hear if it happens to you.

ANy suggestions on how to get rid of it? I feel like I need to go and buy some stuff to clean it so I don't scratch anything wiping it down with water or whatever.

Trevlan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Touchless wash then dry it up yourself. Keep a few rags/towels in the trunk. I keep some and rotate them as needed . Obviously not actual towels but the good soft drying ones for the car only.