Total price in CA including tax, fees, etc?

Tethla

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just configured my M3, not VIN yet. Given the price of $50k shown on my Tesla account page, what is the full total amount I am going to pay at the delivery? Fremont, CA, paying in cash.

CrunchyLumpia

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm pretty sure once a RSA (Region Sales Advisor) calls you, they will send you all the info you need. As a rule of thumb, just add 10% to the cost . (Don't forget to subtract $3500 from the total as well; $1000 to reserve; $2500 to configure or whatever it was :p )

Joaquin

Country
Country
Just configured my M3, not VIN yet. Given the price of $50k shown on my Tesla account page, what is the full total amount I am going to pay at the delivery? Fremont, CA, paying in cash.
For my configuration, base 55k (+5k EAP), I have calculated to be:
Delivery fee: $1000
Total Registration Fees: $620.00
Total Use/Sales Tax (9%): $5,040.00
= $61660
-$1000 reservation
-$2500 configuration
= $58160 pending ACH/Cashier check

Probably somebody that already took delivery can confirm or correct these numbers.

SolanaModel3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a tax and fee calculator on the ca DMV website if you want an idea. Depends on county/city so it's hard to give you a sure number... But your ISA will give you the exact number in the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement's Final Price Sheet...

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Spiffywerks Did you use the Auto Convenience Check from schools first fcu?
Yes, I also had a cashiers check. I just had an approved convinence check for $60k and sent them a copy when setting up the buy. But I only used a fraction of the amount and my cashier’s check on the day I picked up the car. They didn’t have any issue with changing to two types of payment on delivery day.

Joaquin

Country
Country
For my configuration, base 55k (+5k EAP), I have calculated to be:
Delivery fee: $1000
Total Registration Fees: $620.00
Total Use/Sales Tax (9%): $5,040.00
= $61660
-$1000 reservation
-$2500 configuration
= $58160 pending ACH/Cashier check

Probably somebody that already took delivery can confirm or correct these numbers.
Just got my final payment details from Tesla. This estimation above is off by $7 :D

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm just wondering where Tesla gets the tax rate from. Is it from your registration address? or where the delivery center is located?
Tax where I live is 7.75% that's about a grand difference from the LA 9.5%

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I asked my sales adviser about it (specifically in California), and he said they will charge sales tax when ordering it after.
After discussion with the tax authority in California regarding the OTA activation of FSD (or EAP), it seems because the hardware and software are integrated in the car, and only an "activation flag" is sent, the usual non-taxable-electronically-delivered-software rule does not apply. If one could establish that OTA "activation" is in fact a delivery of the software, a case for non-taxable transaction could be made.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you can drive to tax-free state and purchase update from Tesla service center there.
It might be worth trying, but remember that your address of record is with Tesla, and they use that to calculate sales tax on new vehicles; it's therefore logical they would do the same for any vehicle upgrades, but this theory is untested.

Who wants to be a guinea pig?

EBMCS03

Country
Country
Look at the post by jwitkin from 4/25/1018

jwitkin | April 25, 2018
I took the plunge and added EAP to my 3 week old Model 3 yesterday- I was losing too much sleep not having it. I’m in California. There was confusion over whether the upgrade could be purchased online - it can for the S and X, but not currently for Model 3. Called the San Diego Service Center and gave them my card info - NO sales tax! Half an hour later, the car had the upgrade- automatic, no notification like a firmware upgrade.
So - definitely no sales tax in California. Of course the extra $1,000 ate up the savings...

My State Farm agent told me it would not affect my premium. :)

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/eap-subject-sales-tax-tesla-responds?page=2