Top 10 things I love & I don't about my Model 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Top 10 things I <3 about my M3:
1) Quietness – Very chill & relaxed in the cabin even during gruelling commutes. Namaste
2) Performance – Blasts off like SpaceX… I think I know why but you'll have to jump down to #5 to find out
3) Comfort – cushy yet supportive seats hug your butt and torso, shocks are very good for a sporty sedan, you don’t feel the road aside from legit potholes
4) Fit & finish – high quality craftsmanship in my VIN 222xx
5) Frunk Storage – more spacious than you’d think :D K, skip down to the bottom to see for yourself...
6) Glass roof – beautiful to look at both from the inside & outside
7) Screen – so large & vivid, love how flexible it is (like using the rearview cam to monitor blindspots while driving, especially on highway with EAP)
8) “Fuel” efficiency – Up to 500 Km on ~$5 of energy (@ 6 cents/kWh, which is mainly a carbon-free combo of Hydro/Nuclear/Wind/Solar in my province) - good for the pocket book and the environment
9) Trunk Storage – deeper than a fortune cookie quote
10) Styling – the front is very sexy to stare at and as a fan of chic minimalism, the interior is very tastefully done. I cringe looking at the interior of other luxury automobiles with their cluttered dashes.
11) OTA Updates – OK 10 wasn’t enough ¯\_()_/¯… love the seamless updates to my car to keep it from becoming dated or the hassle of needing it to be serviced at a dealership

Top 10 things I :( about my M3:

1) Mirrors – frameless small rear view + short & stalky sideviews = big blindspots (yeah yeah I set my mirrors right, Trev, it still sucks)
2) Music interface – No apple carplay or android auto is frustrating
3) Spotty phonekey – works 80% of the time, becomes very annoying the other 20% - especially when you’re trying to impress a hot date and she thinks you’re lying about owning the model 3 you can’t get into :( "But but but I swear..."
4) Blindspot warning – or lack thereof on the sideview mirror. Sigh - I wish I could afford a base model Hyundai or Toyota to get this ‘luxurious’ safety feature :rolleyes:
5) Multicoat red paint – nice in direct sunlight, more of a bland crimson in the shade :car:
6) No sunroof – coming from a convertible, I’d love to have some fresh air above
7) Seat positioning – hard to find the sweetspot of comfort and optimal visibility
8) Camper mode – or lack thereof, I need this in my life Elon!
9) Trunk closure – It’s not as bad to close manually as the early owner complaints suggested (I take it that mine has a good seal) but lack of a power opening/closing feature is disappointing
10) I ran out of stuff to complain about… :p

Feel free to agree, disagree and come up with your own lists!

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
8) Camper Mode. I think this is as easy as climbing in the back and turning on the Climate Control with the phone app. I ran a test a couple of days ago, and it ran all night long when turned on from the app.

TheCFC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with OP’s lists. As a part time Lyft driver I have a couple more...

Loves:
1) sound system is perfect for the car. Does not cause rattles. Easy to adjust volume and mute quickly. Even when it is loud you can have a conversation. To me that’s the sign of a good car stereo.
2) USB is the back is very useful.
3) I like how the backseat air comes on if someone is there.
4) getting 100 miles for $5 at a SuperCharger in about 15 minutes is AMAZING
5) tips are up. People love the car. I’ve probably sold a few.

Dislikes:
1) I can’t engage Drive as fast as I would like. I also can’t throw it into Reverse like a regular car. Seems to be a delay and a lack of feel to know what gear you are in without looking. Needs to be a lot more responsive with a physical or audible confirmation.
2) I want to access the inside, front and rear camers to record rides. Seems like the car should be able to record a 20 minute loop that I can download from Tesla.com whenever I want. Wishful thinking, I know, but the cameras are there and I paid for them, so lets use them with just an OTA update or a 3rd party app. Seems a shame for me to add another camera from Best Buy with all the built in ones already there.
3) people cannot figure out the doors. This will change as m3 becomes more ubiquitous. I need little OPEN stickers for the buttons that currently just have a dash on them, which doesn’t mean anything to anyone. Front passengers keep using the emergency latches which I know is bad.
3) I need to hear my phone at all times. The delay between when I park and when the car locks after I’ve walked away sometimes causes me to miss an alert which played on the car speakers instead. I know there are things I can do but so far the alternatives are too many steps (I don’t want to have to take the key out or turn my BT off)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3) people cannot figure out the doors. This will change as m3 becomes more ubiquitous. I need little OPEN stickers for the buttons that currently just have a dash on them, which doesn’t mean anything to anyone. Front passengers keep using the emergency latches which I know is bad.
I figured Tesla accessory sites would already offer open stickers for the door buttons by now. It must be annoying especially in your Lyft situation. They should be offered eventually, but in the meantime you could make some open labels with a cheap label printer, and they have white-print-on-clear-tape available so it would look pretty decent over the button.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
8) Camper Mode. I think this is as easy as climbing in the back and turning on the Climate Control with the phone app. I ran a test a couple of days ago, and it ran all night long when turned on from the app.
Can anyone confirm this? Does this work as an alternative to the official config option?

Also, has anyone done any climate control energy consumption tests yet? Wondering how much energy I might lose overnight in ~5°C weather.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can anyone confirm this? Does this work as an alternative to the official config option?

Also, has anyone done any climate control energy consumption tests yet? Wondering how much energy I might lose overnight in ~5°C weather.
I can confirm that you can enable climate control from your phone and it will last longer than the 30 min limit I've heard of previously. I didn't test the max (which I recall to be 8 hours from another poster) but I used it for a couple of hours while inside the back of the car and also while not in the car and it kept going until I disabled it on the app (or put the vehicle into Drive where the previously set A/C settings took over - the climate control then shut off when I got out of the car so I didn't need to remember to open the app and manually turn it off afterwards which was nice).

I can't provide accurate consumption usage numbers atm.

Prof. B

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love the sound system. Best I've had in any car, probably best I've had period.
Accelerating is just fun!
OTA updates. No other manufacturer continues to make their *already sold* cars better!
Autopilot in stop & go traffic makes life much less stressful.
AC is fantastic, especially here in Texas.

The main thing I don't like is getting in and out. Our Leafs (Leaves?) win hands down here. No problems at all. With the 3 I have to duck my head and do a weird spin and turn thing, and it's still a challenge and I end up hitting my head, both in the driver and passenger side. I'm 5'6", and my 5'11" husband has it even worse. Is it just us, or have we been lucky with other cars?

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The main thing I don't like is getting in and out. Our Leafs (Leaves?) win hands down here. No problems at all. With the 3 I have to duck my head and do a weird spin and turn thing, and it's still a challenge and I end up hitting my head, both in the driver and passenger side. I'm 5'6", and my 5'11" husband has it even worse. Is it just us, or have we been lucky with other cars?
This is something my wife noticed right away when she first rode in our Model 3. She has a difficult time getting in, her usual method for her MINI Cooper doesn’t seem to work in this car due to the low A-pillar. We compared the Model 3 to our other cars to see what the difference is, and it appears to be the more forward seating position of the 3. Consequently, the A-pillar starts further back, and swoops up closer to your head than most cars. This also causes her to get a little motion sick in the 3, with the windshield ending so close to her head. For some reason leaving the sun visor down helps with whatever illusion is bothering her. She is adapting, but it’s not ideal, at least for her.

Hollywood7

Country
Country
Top 10 things I <3 about my M3:
1) Quietness – Very chill & relaxed in the cabin even during gruelling commutes. Namaste
2) Performance – Blasts off like SpaceX… I think I know why but you'll have to jump down to #5 to find out
3) Comfort – cushy yet supportive seats hug your butt and torso, shocks are very good for a sporty sedan, you don’t feel the road aside from legit potholes
4) Fit & finish – high quality craftsmanship in my VIN 222xx
5) Frunk Storage – more spacious than you’d think :D K, skip down to the bottom to see for yourself...
6) Glass roof – beautiful to look at both from the inside & outside
7) Screen – so large & vivid, love how flexible it is (like using the rearview cam to monitor blindspots while driving, especially on highway with EAP)
8) “Fuel” efficiency – Up to 500 Km on ~$5 of energy (@ 6 cents/kWh, which is mainly a carbon-free combo of Hydro/Nuclear/Wind/Solar in my province) - good for the pocket book and the environment
9) Trunk Storage – deeper than a fortune cookie quote
10) Styling – the front is very sexy to stare at and as a fan of chic minimalism, the interior is very tastefully done. I cringe looking at the interior of other luxury automobiles with their cluttered dashes.
11) OTA Updates – OK 10 wasn’t enough ¯\_()_/¯… love the seamless updates to my car to keep it from becoming dated or the hassle of needing it to be serviced at a dealership

Top 10 things I :( about my M3:

1) Mirrors – frameless small rear view + short & stalky sideviews = big blindspots (yeah yeah I set my mirrors right, Trev, it still sucks)
2) Music interface – No apple carplay or android auto is frustrating
3) Spotty phonekey – works 80% of the time, becomes very annoying the other 20% - especially when you’re trying to impress a hot date and she thinks you’re lying about owning the model 3 you can’t get into :( "But but but I swear..."
4) Blindspot warning – or lack thereof on the sideview mirror. Sigh - I wish I could afford a base model Hyundai or Toyota to get this ‘luxurious’ safety feature :rolleyes:
5) Multicoat red paint – nice in direct sunlight, more of a bland crimson in the shade :car:
6) No sunroof – coming from a convertible, I’d love to have some fresh air above
7) Seat positioning – hard to find the sweetspot of comfort and optimal visibility
8) Camper mode – or lack thereof, I need this in my life Elon!
9) Trunk closure – It’s not as bad to close manually as the early owner complaints suggested (I take it that mine has a good seal) but lack of a power opening/closing feature is disappointing
10) I ran out of stuff to complain about… :p

Feel free to agree, disagree and come up with your own lists!

Where in the configurator is the Greyhound option?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love the sound system. Best I've had in any car, probably best I've had period.
Accelerating is just fun!
OTA updates. No other manufacturer continues to make their *already sold* cars better!
Autopilot in stop & go traffic makes life much less stressful.
AC is fantastic, especially here in Texas.

Do you have easy entry enabled? I'm 5'6" as well and I was struggling to get in & out of the car with the steering wheel extended so far out and the seats high and forward. Once I enabled EE it made it very spacious to slide in and out of. As a matter of perspective, I'm coming from a BMW Z4 so the M3 is astronomically more comfortable to hop in and out of.

Vin

Country
Country
Top Likes:

1. Acceleration and overall handling. It's unlike any gas car.
2. Looks amazing from the outside and inside, well designed.
3. No more gas stations (and saving money)
4. Sound system
5. Unique/attention (not many out there yet, but there will be ;) and I'm a Leo so I like attention.
6. App (using climate control a few minutes before every drive)
7. Car distance alerts and measurements (ie 24 in. away from wall, etc)
8. Steering wheel (perfect size and feel), and the knobs are great for controlling stuff
9. Mobile Service/Rangers and Superchargers (being part of Tesla network and infrastructure is amazing)
10. Software updates (it's like xmas when a new update comes out and the car improves over time)
11. Safety (as Musk said the roof of the M3 can withstand the weight of 2 full size African elephants!)

Dislikes/room for improvement:

1. Blind spots (i get nervous every time I want to quickly change a lane, so I wind up always looking back over shoulder)
2. I don't get to see the best all-glass roof view due to being the driver all the time lol
3. Screen UI could be improved (clock is too small and far right, etc which should all be improved eventually)

Last edited:

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have any unique likes to offer but agree with almost all.

Dislikes:

Navigation being right oriented. I'm sure this will be fixed OTA.
Charge port being finnicky. Wish I could walk upto the car and remove the charge cable without opening the door.

A neutral observation. I've noticed a few % a day in phantom drain. Annoys me a bit as I'm used to my Leaf which has very little. I appreciate that the energy is going into battery longevity though. Still means my short trip to work and back uses near 10% of the battery as it's outside in the sun and heat all day. I did do a 600KM trip in the heat and the range was excellent and as advertised though!

Wilson

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m surprised I haven’t seen more comments on this, the TACC part of autopilot is not smooth at all. I know this can improve and I really hope it does soon. My other car is a VW Golf with adaptive cruise and it behaves the same. I was looking forward to a cruise system that wouldn’t decelerate way too soon like a paranoid driver and would generally be smarter and smoother. Prime example today. Driving in a 35 mph zone, 2 lanes going my way, I’m in the left lane and a car pulls onto the road in the right lane. Even though the other car is about 100 yards ahead, in a different lane, with a slow closure rate and going the same direction, my 3 starts an abrupt deceleration to the point if I was behind myself I would be like, WTF? It’s like when something pops into the cars view it treats it like a stationary object until a few seconds pass and it figures things out.

I’ve read about how much people like autopilot in stop and go traffic but I usually end up turning it off after a few minutes because the accel and decel is annoying. It maintains too hard of a barrier without consideration for closure rate and time. Since I seem to be one of the only ones complaining, what am I doing wrong? Happens at all speeds and following distances. Otherwise I love the car!

Last edited:

Justmurr

Country
Country
I’m surprised I haven’t seen more comments on this, the TACC part of autopilot is not smooth at all. I know this can improve and I really hope it does soon. My other car is a VW Golf with adaptive cruise and it behaves the same. I was looking forward to a cruise system that wouldn’t decelerate way too soon like a paranoid driver and would generally be smarter and smoother. Prime example today. Driving in a 35 mph zone, 2 lanes going my way, I’m in the left lane and a car pulls onto the road in the right lane. Even though the other car is about 100 yards ahead, in a different lane, with a slow closure rate and going the same direction, my 3 starts an abrupt deceleration to the point if I was behind myself I would be like, WTF? It’s like when something pops into the cars view it treats it like a stationary object until a few seconds pass and it figures things out.

I’ve read about how much people like autopilot in stop and go traffic but I usually end up turning it off after a few minutes because the accel and decal is annoying. It maintains too hard of a barrier without consideration for closure rate and time. Since I seem to be one of the only ones complaining, what am I doing wrong? Happens at all speeds and following distances. Otherwise I love the car!
You might want to have it checked out. I’m a heavy autopilot user and I do experience some excessive slow downs from time to time but not all the time...especially with cars entering the other lane, mine handles that well. I find myself using the accelerator as needed too, especially when someone is moving out of my lane...autopilot waits until that car is all the way over before accelerating.
The stop and go in mine is pretty smooth, I love it.
Mine does not like to auto-park itself though. Either starts and quits or just refuses to start. I don’t use it much so no big deal but I will get it checked when I go in for my first checkup/tire rotation.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1) Mirrors – frameless

I love the frameless mirrors. They are the nicest rear view mirrors I've seen in a car. I don't like thick black frames that is ubiquitous on almost all cars...which look dated. I don't like thick frame/bezel around my big screen TV so this is the same reason that I don't like big thick black frames around my rear view mirror. :p

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll second the needing to open the door to remove the charge cable.
Turning radius isn't horrible but could be a little better.
App could be better. How do I tell if the car doors are locked?
Media situation needs improvement. Google Music/Apple Music etc, TuneIn with sports.
Maps directions many times are extremely misleading. The map says to go one way and the voice says the wrong name of the street or highway.

I have to say this feels incredibly nit-picky. This car is by no means perfect but its pretty awesome. And the fact it isn't perfect means its going to get better. These are early days and there is so much potential. And I can't imagine going back to an ICE car at this point.

sjcsale

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are tonnes of things I love about my M3. People have listed them already.

Being in TX and this summer being hotter, the chrome handles get really hot and very difficult to open.
I am one of those who likes the chrome look, so don't want to do chrome delete.

What other options do I have to save my hands from blistering. Wish there was a remote door unlock and pop option on the app.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why doesn't it turn on the lights automatically when its raining? Doesn't seem to be tied to auto-wipers AI at all. It would also be nice to have an auto setting for coated glass(rainX etc) to wipe less to prevent wiper jumping.