Tools needed to work on the Model 3 Performance Brakes

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to take apart the brake calipers on my Model 3 Performance last night, in order to better clean off all of the accumulated winter gravel and salt. To my surprise, the bolt holding the caliper appeared to have a Torx head!

I tried searching around for more information on what was needed to remove the calipers. I couldn't find any YouTube videos on the subject - a few for the regular Model 3, but none dealing with the Performance brakes.

Finally, I managed to dig up a copy of Tesla's Global Master Tooling list. It mentions two Torx sockets needed for working on a Model 3 - sizes 10EP and 20EP.

The EP refers to a more recent variant of Torx, called "Torx Plus". I'm guessing that the 20EP size is what's needed for the calipers.
@MountainPass , @unpluggedperformance, can you confirm this information?

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx#Sizing

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to take apart the brake calipers on my Model 3 Performance last night, in order to better clean off all of the accumulated winter gravel and salt. To my surprise, the bolt holding the caliper appeared to have a Torx head!

I tried searching around for more information on what was needed to remove the calipers. I couldn't find any YouTube videos on the subject - a few for the regular Model 3, but none dealing with the Performance brakes.

Finally, I managed to dig up a copy of Tesla's Global Master Tooling list. It mentions two Torx sockets needed for working on a Model 3 - sizes 10EP and 20EP.

The EP refers to a more recent variant of Torx, called "Torx Plus". I'm guessing that the 20EP size is what's needed for the calipers.
@MountainPass , @unpluggedperformance, can you confirm this information?

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx#Sizing
You are looking for an E18 External Star Socket

You can use a normal socket in a pinch, but we wouldn't recommend it.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are looking for an E18 External Star Socket
Torx Plus is a newer version of Torx, it is less prone to stripping and is by far a better design
I saw that the Tesla Global Master Tooling list mentioned an E18 as well, but it was in the S/X/Roadster section.

Are you saying that the bolts are the older-style Torx, and NOT the new Torx Plus?

1554230218922.png

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw that the Tesla Global Master Tooling list mentioned an E18 as well, but it was in the S/X/Roadster section.

Are you saying that the bolts are the older-style Torx, and NOT the new Torx Plus?

View attachment 24287
Those brake caliper bolts are not Torx Plus shaped, you can tell by the rounded edges of each point vs. the flat ones on the Torx Plus. This is why you need to be careful not to strip them. E18 is definitely what you need.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sasha,

What type are the bolts/rods that hold the brake pads on the caliper of the front performance brakes?
I used a regular Torx bit for those, but it didn't fit well. Are those Torx Plus?

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sasha,

What type are the bolts/rods that hold the brake pads on the caliper of the front performance brakes?
I used a regular Torx bit for those, but it didn't fit well. Are those Torx Plus?
You need an E18 Socket. You can also get away with a 9/16" socket but it is risky. If you are referring to the pins that hold the pads in the caliper, you just knock them out with a punch.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You need an E18 Socket. You can also get away with a 9/16" socket but it is risky. If you are referring to the pins that hold the pads in the caliper, you just knock them out with a punch.
If it wasn't clear, I'm talking about the Performance brakes, not the standard brakes. It has four torx-head screws holding in the brake pads rather than the pins that the base cars have.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oops! I was in Tesla Model S land when I wrote that. You need a T40 bit to remove those!
Are you sure it's a T40 and not a TP40?

I was using a T40, and it was a very loose fit. I was afraid I was going to strip the heads.

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it wasn't clear, I'm talking about the Performance brakes, not the standard brakes. It has four torx-head screws holding in the brake pads rather than the pins that the base cars have.
I don't think you should mess with those, since the only way to remove the pads is to pull the caliper off the car. Then it's just a matter of releasing some tension from those springs and shimmying the pads off.

IMG_20190413_085353.jpg

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think you should mess with those, since the only way to remove the pads is to pull the caliper off the car. Then it's just a matter of releasing some tension from those springs and shimmying the pads off.
Oh. Yeah, I guess they'll slide off one at a time, won't they?
I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you had the correct tools, it would be super easy to change pads at the track.

Scratch that. I just looked at the pics again. No way to remove pads w/o removing caliper.